Usergroups and Promotions

So far as spotting patterns go, it's worth noteing that current settings only let us see the last five we received and not at all our own giving. Any expansion of that ability would be welcome.

While I may be biased because I was regularly on the receiving end of his abusive rants, I was shocked to see his how high reputation became. I assumed there was some sort of gaming the system going on.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
I'm one of the people who got a fair amount of unsolicited rep from Silence. He genuinely seemed to be enthusiastic about the rep he gave, but I was surprised by the quantity of rep. He must have been giving rep all over to get around the "you must spread more rep around" limitiation. I got the impression that there were people he wanted to rep, maybe people who would rep him back, and in order to do so he had to spread a lot of rep around to a lot of people in order to get around the rep limitations.

Having said that, when someone gives you a lot of good rep and leaves you encouraging comments, it's natural to want to repay the favour - it becomes a positive feedback loop. Silence may just have been handing out so much rep to so many people, that he simply got back a lot of rep from those who felt they wanted to recipricate.

It's possible there was some organised plan for people to rep each other up as much as possible, but I think it's more likely that Silence simply liked handing out rep all over, and liked the fact that people felt they had to pass that good rep back to him when they had the opportunity. Silence worked hard at spreading rep around, and a lot of that came back to him in spades.

I don't know how or why you could stop such a thing, unless you know it was an organised campaign to break the rep system, or can get inside Silence's head and know that he really didn't mean the rep or the enthusiastic comments he gave, but was merely participating for selfish reasons.

And that's what it's all about, you hit it right on the head. I'd give u good rep if i could.

Silence must have been giving away so much rep that i sometimes saw him giving me rep every day and i often wondered how the hell he did it, and also why.
Of course sometimes i'd give it back, that's what happens.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
I'm one of the people who got a fair amount of unsolicited rep from Silence. He genuinely seemed to be enthusiastic about the rep he gave, but I was surprised by the quantity of rep.
Sorry for being dumb but how the hell do you check who specificly gave you rep points?

Reverend said:
Sorry for being dumb but how the hell do you check who specificly gave you rep points?

You can check by hitting user CP. At the bottom of the page will be the last 5 people who gave you reputation with their comments. The amount you receive from each seems to vary, I assume it's based on the users reputation.

Reverend said:

Once you're in one of the special user-group(s) you can see the last 5 people who gave you rep, positive or negative.

AlphaWolf said:
You can check by hitting user CP. At the bottom of the page will be the last 5 people who gave you reputation with their comments. The amount you receive from each seems to vary, I assume it's based on the users reputation.

And post count. For positive rep, 1 point per 1,000 posts and 1 point per 100 rep points (generally shown by green squares).

Halved for negative rep.

Only members or higher can give positive rep. Only senior members or higher can give negative rep. Ditto can see who left them rep, pos or neg.

geo said:
And post count. For positive rep, 1 point per 1,000 posts and 1 point per 100 rep points (generally shown by green squares).

Halved for negative rep.

Only members or higher can give positive rep. Only senior members or higher can give negative rep.

Thanks for ruining all the mystery.:rolleyes:

AlphaWolf said:
Well I'll be damned -- 4 reds and 1 green!

He's not red because there must have been more good rep points in the past to keep him afloat. He can only see the last 5 after all.

I was gonna ask...

Did silence leave the forum (like he left the last 3 times err...) over this little hack Dave put on us?? That's a bit... gay... trust me i know...

I mean, if someone was hoping i'd leave this site just for that... Please, i'm like genital herpes, once u catch me, u can't get rid of it ever again!!!

PS: (That's me saying i got over the whole thing and it's fine Dave, you don't have to say you're sorry any more, the last 27 "sorry" messages are enough)...
PS2: (though my lost private messages left a hollow in my heart.... or something...)
PS3: (I've just noticed i got more sBarIcTasCtHiYc after all this... good good...)
PS4: (These are not Sony subliminal messages)

london-boy said:
He's not red because there must have been more good rep points in the past to keep him afloat. He can only see the last 5 after all.

Duh. Good point.

london-boy said:
Did silence leave the forum (like he left the last 3 times err...) over this little hack Dave put on us??
Silence wasn't as understanding as you were about it, he's over at EB if'n you need him. (And your PMs will work over there... ;) )

digitalwanderer said:
Silence wasn't as understanding as you were about it, he's over at EB if'n you need him. (And your PMs will work over there... ;) )

I don't need him... And as i've said many times, B3D is the only place i post in (together with AVForums but that's normal, there's lots of knowleadgeable people in there.... not that there aren't any in here... i mean... oh god where am i going with this......)

Then *I* am the drama queen?!?! :devilish:

Neeyik said:
People can still read, post and debate - the sole purpose of a discussion board; anything else are mere extras.

But like anything else in life, it's the extra bits which aren't really needed that give a flavour to things. If writers limited themselves to write about whatever genre they like the most, we wouldn't have masterpieces that span over different genres at the same time.

I don't know, i'm not saying you're wrong, afterall this IS a discussion board and mainly a 3D Graphics one, but don't you think that if everyone stayed within this closed box and talked about 3D Graphics and only 3D Graphics, made no jokes, broke no rules (always staying civil though), this place would be so dull it wouldn't attract as many characters (and even developers i would think) as it does now?

Isn't it true that the best things in life are made better with those little "useless" details that aren't "needed"?

In the same manner, having a bit of spice in this forum (and i could say i've done my bit in putting a lot of spice in this place, together with people like digi and many others, as much as some people hate that and would love to put me and some others in a closed box and stick to the rules word by word - rules that sometimes aren't even that clear anyway) is what makes it special. Without that, this would be "just another 3D Forum" on the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ty
While I wouldn't want to overstate that l-b, I do think there is a significant piece of truth there that "regular joe" jolly extroverts like you and Digi make this place much more welcoming for newbies that would like to partake and then begin to contribute/participate (and not just read). I can see where this place would be very intimidating without a healthy sprinkling of that kind of "community guy" presence.

But I don't know that anyone is denying that anyway.

geo said:
While I wouldn't want to overstate that l-b, I do think there is a significant piece of truth there that "regular joe" jolly extroverts like you and Digi make this place much more welcoming for newbies that would like to partake and then begin to contribute/participate (and not just read). I can see where this place would be very intimidating without a healthy sprinkling of that kind of "community guy" presence.

But I don't know that anyone is denying that anyway.
Some people here just flat-out don't like it, they don't want the forum here as accessible methinks....they like the exclusionary thing. :???:

This place was intimidating as hell to me when I first joined, honest....I think it is a little less so now.

Back