USB Headphones

Smak

Newcomer
Recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser PC155 USB headsets and although performance is excellent when connecting via the small jack plugs I can't seem to get them to work through the USB adaptor which is the main reason I brought them. When I connect them to the PC it is as if the computer is not registering them. I've tried on several PC's to the same result. My understanding is that they are simply plug and play, no software, drivers etc to install??

This is also the second pair I have had which is why I thought I best ask on here before I send back again, so.... is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing in order to get these to work???

What OS are you using them with? Win2k or XP should support USB audio devices, but I have seen that broken more than once. My IBM Thinkpad just refuses to see them in XP(IBM for some reason removed the USB audio drivers from windows) and I had my desktop setup with a USB audio adapter that suddenly quit one day until after a reload.

Does it run the "add hardware" wizard when you plug in the USB adaptor? My systems at least always do that, they just don't always find the drivers.

You may have to pop into the Sound and Multimedia applet in the Control Panel to set the USB hedphones as your preferred device for sound playback. If they don't show up there you may have a faulty set.

The USB headset I owned in the past (a PS2-labeled unit that works just fine on the PC as well) that I just had to plug in. WinME and up all support USB audio devices transparently with no additional drivers needed.

Most sound programs allow you to set the playback device, or you can do it globally in the control panel's multimedia options like already mentioned.

the maddman said:
What OS are you using them with? Win2k or XP should support USB audio devices, but I have seen that broken more than once. My IBM Thinkpad just refuses to see them in XP(IBM for some reason removed the USB audio drivers from windows) and I had my desktop setup with a USB audio adapter that suddenly quit one day until after a reload.

Does it run the "add hardware" wizard when you plug in the USB adaptor? My systems at least always do that, they just don't always find the drivers.

XP doesnt run the wizard when I plug it in on my PC and my friends PC's. It would indicate the adaptor is faulty but this is the second pair they have sent me now, maybe a dodgy batch.

so your headphones have a built in SND card? In the headphone or inline with the cord? Well i see they dont. Thats the only way the wizard would open. In your Device Manager/Hardware/USBs are they all working? You might have to install the windows USB audio device in sound/game controlers.
Also did ya look in your sound properties, and set the playback to your usbphones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Smak said:
XP doesnt run the wizard when I plug it in on my PC and my friends PC's. It would indicate the adaptor is faulty but this is the second pair they have sent me now, maybe a dodgy batch.
It doesn't neccessarily run a wizard since it already has the proper drivers for it. Open the device manager and check the sound/video devices section to see if the headset appears there (it may be listed as USB speakers or perhaps USB audio device instead of headset). If you're unsure it's actually the headset, just unplug it and check if the device disappears or not.

If you can't find it at all, or if you have a "Unknown USB device" with a little triangle exclamation mark icon next to it, then you ought to worry that maybe you have a faulty piece of equipment. :)

When you plug in any USB device, Windows usually detects it and you generally see an icon on your tray (to remove USB devices safely).

If that doesn't happen, there some of the following may be happening:

The USB port is not powered/connected... hopefully you made sure the ports are connected to the mobo. The ports needed connecting are stuff like USB ports in the front of your case, or possible a back plate which would increase the number of USB ports available at the back of your comp.

The USB port is not enabled. Make sure you enable all USB ports in your mobo BIOS... otherwise Windows won't see it.

Possibly useful if you're using XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314634

I've checked all USB ports are powered and working no problem there, also checked to see if it registers in device manager - nothing. They must be faulty, but this is the second pair I've had now.....

Thanks for the help guys I'm gonna get a refund and try a different pair. Shame though as these really do sound excellent when connected through the jacks.

Sounds like the soundcard part is faulty then. When plugging in the USB dongle you should definately get the removable hardware eject icon in the tray, and it should show up as a USB sound device in Devive Manager (under Sound, Video and Game controllers) as well as in the Sounds and Multimedia control panel applet.

Zaphod said:
Sounds like the soundcard part is faulty then. When plugging in the USB dongle you should definately get the removable hardware eject icon in the tray, and it should show up as a USB sound device in Devive Manager (under Sound, Video and Game controllers) as well as in the Sounds and Multimedia control panel applet.
yes my thought is the soundcard...

why bother with a USB headphone? it seems really useless to me, unless you really need to have a different output for some reason, but in this case you can plug in a $10 soundcard in your PC as well.

i believe he has a snd card already, or atleast onboard. I guess he wants the USB to plug into the front of his case instead of the back....

USB headsets for example are very convenient. Just one connector you stick into a hub or case-front USB jack instead of having to fiddle with separate analog plugs at the back of the PC as is so often the case with most systems, at least homebuilt ones.

Guden Oden said:
USB headsets for example are very convenient. Just one connector you stick into a hub or case-front USB jack instead of having to fiddle with separate analog plugs at the back of the PC as is so often the case with most systems, at least homebuilt ones.

Unless you have analog inputs on the front, of course ;)

Guden Oden said:

Correct, I have a M-Audio Delta soundcard installed which I use for recording and monitoring purposes (I do alot of Dj'ing). So I did'nt want to have keep changing settings everytime I wanted to play games online.

_xxx_ said:
Unless you have analog inputs on the front, of course ;)

Often the analog outputs on the front of cases sound like crap through good headphones. A good USB adapter with a nice DAC can make a big difference. And when I'm playing multiplayer games online, I like the voice chat to show up in my headset, but have the game sounds on the speakers.

Smak: Before you give up on it, an easy way to check out the device is to boot a Knoppix CD and try it from linux. It doesn't modify anything on your hard drive, and I'll help walk you through it if you want.

Back