Upcoming ATI Financial webcasts

geo said:
They see the $499 price for G71 as admission of it not taking performance lead.
That is a nice way to say it from their standpoint. I love how press breifings always invovle turning around whatever is said to make it seem a positive. I see $499 price as a good thing and don't care about whether it dominates, or just loses or comes out even. Reminds me of Hadley's interview this past weekend.

Neither IHV is a charity. They have a fidicuiary responsibility to their shareholders to maximize their profits and stock value consistent with whatever laws apply to them. We do know, for instance, that NV's executive team has been publicly quite loud and proud of their increasing margins, and the fact that they expect them to continue to increase even from their current record levels.

All of which is to say it seems to me a reasonable interpretation that if NV felt they could get a price premium for 7900GTX performance they would certainly do so.

As to "welcoming" a $499 price, well I suppose that is a matter of perception. Personally, I don't welcome prices. . I welcome price/performance, when it seems appropriate. Given 7800GTX intro'ed at $599 (Edited, per Serenity and B3D tables), you could probably coin flip who to blame for that original price --NV for gouging, or ATI for stumbling with getting R520 to market and thus encouraging NV to do so. Or are you suggesting there's been some great change of heart in Santa Clara since last June, re pricing?

Last edited by a moderator:
geo said:
As to "welcoming" a $499 price, well I suppose that is a matter of perception. Personally, I don't welcome prices. . I welcome price/performance, when it seems appropriate. Given 7800GTX intro'ed at $649, you could probably coin flip who to blame for that original price --NV for gouging, or ATI for stumbling with getting R520 to market and thus encouraging NV to do so. Or are you suggesting there's been some great change of heart in Santa Clara since last June, re pricing?
I think the 7800GTX was $599 at launch (which was a record) and the 7800GTX 512MB was $649 at launch (again a record).

ATI's record was pricing the X850XT PE at $549.

Reactions: Geo
serenity said:
I think the 7800GTX was $599 at launch (which was a record) and the 7800GTX 512MB was $649 at launch (again a record).

ATI's record was pricing the X850XT PE at $549.

You're right, I looked at the wrong page in the 3d tables. Thanks for the correction, tho it doesn't change the principle.

I doubt maximising the margins is all what nvidia is about here Geo. With a 7900GTX at $499 and maybe a dual 7900GT at $550-$600 I'm sure they will be equally happy to try and force ATi's margins down and thus make them have less $ for investing in future parts ;)

At this point in time with SM4.0 and Vista on the horizon it might be better to give the common people a popular bargain rather than make them pay through the nose for a lot of redundant shader power that might be outdated before it even gets chance to shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
geo said:
What does "in light of ATI's financial situation" refer to? They've got 600M+ in cash as of the last report.

Maybe he ment that in a good way as having that kind cash in pocket seems like a good thing :)

/me checks his pocket to see how much cash he has....
/me sees its only $0.42 :(

Last edited:
Back