Upcoming ATI Financial webcasts

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
One in about 45 minutes "ATI Technologies at RBC Capital Markets Communications, Media and Technology Conference (Live)"

and another next week (28th) "ATI Technologies at Goldman Sachs Technology Investment Symposium (Live)"

http://ir.ati.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105421&p=irol-irhome

For those with time to listen in (and report back here, of course!). If they keep the recordings up I'll check them out tonight.

geo said:
One in about 45 minutes "ATI Technologies at RBC Capital Markets Communications, Media and Technology Conference (Live)"

and another next week (28th) "ATI Technologies at Goldman Sachs Technology Investment Symposium (Live)"

http://ir.ati.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105421&p=irol-irhome

For those with time to listen in (and report back here, of course!). If they keep the recordings up I'll check them out tonight.

I was only listening half so I have most likelt missed a few important bits, but anyway here you go:

G71 is expected to be just a shrink.

Faster SKU from Ati during the spring.

Next gen chip in fall.

30% share in workstations.

0-10% in desktop chipset marked share.

RD580 launch in few days.

Packaging capacity limited (problem for the whole business).

NVIDIA has higher margins due to a bigger workstation business and high-end chipsets.

10-15 years horizon for the fast development in graphics.

The next gen desktop chip will leverage xbox360 technology heavily.

karlotta said:
no size for the fall chip? r600 in oct, at 65nm? r590 in may? at 80nm?

They did not say anything about the process node (or atleast I doubt I could miss somthing as important as that even thought I was not paying that much atention). Anyway from the way the faster spring SKU was talked about, it seems more likely that it is R580 based.

Edit: The presentation (more of an Q&A session) is only a half hour so if anybody interested should be able to make time for it.

Tim said:
I was only listening half so I have most likelt missed a few important bits, but anyway here you go:

G71 is expected to be just a shrink.

Faster SKU from Ati during the spring.

Next gen chip in fall.

30% share in workstations.

0-10% in desktop chipset marked share.

RD580 launch in few days.

Packaging capacity limited (problem for the whole business).

NVIDIA has higher margins due to a bigger workstation business and high-end chipsets.

10-15 years horizon for the fast development in graphics.

The next gen desktop chip will leverage xbox360 technology heavily.

Cool. Thanks. Surprised that ATI would comment on G71 before it is announced. Wondering about that spring SKU too.

geo said:
Cool. Thanks. Surprised that ATI would comment on G71 before it is announced. Wondering about that spring SKU too.

They did not refer to it as G71 but as "NVIDIAs next highend GPU" or somthing similar (don't hold me to the exact wording).

As always, idiosyncratically selected and quoted as best I heard it. No warranties express or implied, etc.

Rick Bergman, SR VP, PC business

Discrete graphics $3B market.

IGP $6B market.

Vista first big change in UI since mid 90s, and 3d-reliant good for ATI. Grows discrete opportunity into business users.

ATI focused on "King of the Hill" since 2002. Back in June (05) we stumbled (R520). Competitor filled the vacuum.

"Uncontested leader" with X1900 now. "Pretty good idea of what our competitor is going to be doing as well for at least the next three or four months. And we actually feel pretty confident that our X1900 or future derivatives [Hellllo, R590!] will stay in that lead."

"Performance segment", X1600. "hasn't been our strength" [clear bow towards 6600GT], good oem/Apple reception.

Mainstream and Value. Feeling good.

"And then we get to do it all over again in the Fall timeframe"

[Sounds to me like they've got 4 market segments in their mind now. Enthusiast/Performance/Mainstream/Value.]

Re:X1900 vs G71
"In our market, obviously we follow our competitors closely. And sometimes we get an idea of what they have coming. Certainly the introduction planned in 10 days or so. . .we have a good feel for what they are doing vs our products. And from all appearances it appears that all they doing is taking their current product and shrinking it. The speed. . .they are only marginally improving off their current product."

"Of course we're not sitting still either. . .move our stack up as well over the course of the *Spring".

Re: CrossFire Uptake
CrossFire mobo sales in Dec and January were "great". First CrossFire chipset sales have surpassed their expectations. New mobo coming "in a few days". Expect to have "best performing chipset" in the multi-gpu market once announced next week.

Re: Notebooks
11 quarters of 70%+ market share. "Every February, almost like groundhog day, our competitor claims they are going to double their market share. . ."
"2006 is done" re OEM design cycle in notebooks.

Re: Workstations
Represents best opportunity to increase share. Around 30% now. 2006 is the year they move up from entry level in workstation to middle and upper portions of that market.

Re: Discrete vs IGP
IGP has been growing for them in desktop the last year. First company with DX9 and pcie and that's why they were able to fill when Intel needed them.
At least over next year they expect value area to belong to ATI. Intel will go more mainstream segment IGP.

Re: Overall Gross Margins
Getting back on game with high-end will help considerably. NV's advantage on margins is from workstations (60%) and high-end mobo SLI chipsets.

Re: R&D Spending
10-15 year horizon. Company in India (???? helping with chip design). Architecturally, leveraging investments elsewhere. Next gen product [R6xx, presumably] "leverage heavily" on XB360 design investment. "A lot of that technology is going to move directly into our pc graphics as well."

Re: Consumer Business (hdtv?)
Dedicated to making that a $1B business for them.

*A Note On Definition of Seasons As Used By Graphics IHVs
by geo.

Understand, this is an observational definition gleaned over many years. It is also Northern Hemisphere Imperialistic (Damn Norte Americanos!)

"Spring" ends June 30.
"Summer" ends Sept 30.
"Fall" ends Dec 31.
"Winter" ends Feb 28.

Why is Winter only two months while Spring is 4 months? I don't know, ask them!
And, of course, these are only *end* dates. In fact, some days on the calendar are multi-value, to add to the fun. For instance, June is clearly both Spring and Summer, and September is clearly both Summer and Fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, G71 should be 20% faster than G70 512MB right off the bat, and then there's that other launch two months later or whatever. This sounds shockingly optimistic.

Thanks for the highlights Geo! I'll be looking to get the "spring" refresh if it's a good jump from the x1900xt/x.

Oh and rollo got banned from the AT forums, since you asked for an update on there :) but now Kyle has welcomed him on hardforums and is banning people left and right if they call him out.....crazy....this Internet place is!

RobertR1 said:
Thanks for the highlights Geo! I'll be looking to get the "spring" refresh if it's a good jump from the x1900xt/x.

Oh and rollo got banned from the AT forums, since you asked for an update on there :) but now Kyle has welcomed him on hardforums and is banning people left and right if they call him out.....crazy....this Internet place is!

Not really the right thread, but thanks for the update. Good-oh on AT Forums.

The Baron said:
Well, G71 should be 20% faster than G70 512MB right off the bat, and then there's that other launch two months later or whatever. This sounds shockingly optimistic.

More or less what I was thinking... Perhaps ATI is comparing the cards based on future-esque games with all the heavier-hitting IQ options enabled.

Thanks for the highlights, Geo!

Looking forward to the remaining 2006 notebook design-win announcements. With M58 seemingly having been on the PCI-Sig Integrators List for quite a few months now and no listing for M59 yet -- although the next compliance workshop is in a few days -- I'm interested to see how ATI's high-end notebook challenge pans out.

Saying that though, an low-power, dual-core Turion with mobile RV560/RV570 would be very nice by the end of the year, however if that's pie-in-the-sky, then I would be tempted by a low-power Turion with M56 over the next few months.

Not really to me. G71 is 18% faster clock. In many cases that wont overtake r580 presently, let alone that R580 should be more future proof.

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=469

For some new benchies.

Never mind the possible R590 or whatever.

Nvidia hardware doesn't seem to be aging well. Another trend is X1800XT beating the 512 GTX sometimes. And plain GTX looking almost slow.

Daryl said:
Not really to me. G71 is 18% faster clock. In many cases that wont overtake r580 presently, let alone that R580 should be more future proof.

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=469

For some new benchies.

Never mind the possible R590 or whatever.

Nvidia hardware doesn't seem to be aging well. Another trend is X1800XT beating the 512 GTX sometimes. And plain GTX looking almost slow.

Looking at the 1600x1200 4xAA and bench marks it's quite amazing how well the x1800xt keeps up with the 7800GTX 512. With Cat 6.2 the x1k cards get even more of a performance boost. The old 7800GTX simply gets killed.

Goldman Sachs Technology Symposium, Feb 28 2006

Usual caveats, "what Geo found interesting and scribbled down", no warranties for accuracy offered (tho I tried).

Patrick Crowley, CFO
Vijay Sharma, Director, Desktop Marketing

Workstation growth big opportunity for margins. They have less than 10% of total right now.

Consumer is 40%+ gross margins.

Targeting beginning of FY2007 to get back into corporate range (32-35%) for margins.

"very good yields" on X1K.

"Premium" logo not defined by MS yet (next three months, probably) for Vista graphics requirements (HD decoding?, maybe 720p vs 1080p?) for Vista. [This was news to me, btw] Could have impact for IGP and increasing discrete if IGP can't make the cut.

They see the $499 price for G71 as admission of it not taking performance lead.

They see top end of the market $499+ as 5-8% of total market.

Mainstream 30-35%

Value ~60%.

[Interestingly, he couldn't put total profit percentages on those tho]

They receive no forecasts from MS on XB360. Just public info. They just get told what shipped after the fact and get a cheque from that (one HOPES they have the right to audit that from time to time!)

No significant foundry constraints. Back-end assembly & test constraints. Some actions taken, including new vendors.

Back