Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Sure but like... this is not trying to be a full AAA open world game, which would require a much larger team and a much larger amount of time. It is trying to show that you could make a AAA open world in Unreal Engine 5. I don't really think they ever pitched it as anything other than a tech demo so I must admit I'm puzzled by all the comparisons of the form "but it doesn't have all these features that a full AAA game does".

The pivot to foliage is also a little weird to me. Sure foliage is another problem in and of itself, but obviously you could have 'regular game amounts of foliage' in UE5 because you can already have that in UE4. But there's not a lot of foliage in the Matrix movies either... When they release the assets feel free to just go drop some of your own in the scene, but I'm not sure why anyone would expect typical game foliage would be a particular problem. Certainly dense forests is something that would be great to handle even better in the future, but you can't do everything in every demo, nor would you really even want to I think.

Whether or not you personally care about fully dynamic lighting on an open-world-sized scene with extremely high levels of detail and minimal pop-in, I assume most people can admit this is something that a lot of people - and specifically developers - *do* care about. Obviously I'm biased, but that to me is the main achievement of this demo; the rest of it is proof of concept level stuff to convince folks that none of this is being faked.
"Its cool you solved world hunger but why didn't you eradicate all the diseases??? FAIL"

Just finished my own playthrough and uploading a video. Some parts look extremely realistic. Where the "director" has control of the scene it is highly convincing.
Where the player starts controlling the scene, its where you see the common cut corners of videogames.
In general CGI is filled with cheats and tricks. The imperfections are hidden with smart camera placements and by tweaking every light, object and angle thats on screen.
But with games you cant have that luxury. The player will come close to every object he can. And thats when you see the impossibility of making everything look perfectly realistic. You get near windows and you see that the interiors are imperfect, with flat objects, lower res and repetitive. You approach birds in the sky and you see a repeated movement and fake animations. You go near the sea and you see an almost static water. You hit objects and they dont get destroyed or have limited destruction.
Reality is so complex down to the smallest particle and energy wave. When computer graphics will approach this kind of complexity we will surely be very close or already in some kind of a Matrix.
Of course who knows? In the future we might be surprised. Unreal Engine has that ultimate long term goal

Sure but like... this is not trying to be a full AAA open world game, which would require a much larger team and a much larger amount of time. It is trying to show that you could make a AAA open world in Unreal Engine 5. I don't really think they ever pitched it as anything other than a tech demo so I must admit I'm puzzled by all the comparisons of the form "but it doesn't have all these features that a full AAA game does".

The pivot to foliage is also a little weird to me. Sure foliage is another problem in and of itself, but obviously you could have 'regular game amounts of foliage' in UE5 because you can already have that in UE4. But there's not a lot of foliage in the Matrix movies either... When they release the assets feel free to just go drop some of your own in the scene, but I'm not sure why anyone would expect typical game foliage would be a particular problem. Certainly dense forests is something that would be great to handle even better in the future, but you can't do everything in every demo, nor would you really even want to I think.

Whether or not you personally care about fully dynamic lighting on an open-world-sized scene with extremely high levels of detail and minimal pop-in, I assume most people can admit this is something that a lot of people - and specifically developers - *do* care about. Obviously I'm biased, but that to me is the main achievement of this demo; the rest of it is proof of concept level stuff to convince folks that none of this is being faked.
Just outstanding work Andrew! Congrats to all who played a part in making that demo happen! Had to pick my jaw up off the floor a couple times that's for sure. Just imagine if we could go back in time and show someone in the 80's playing their Atari 2600, or their Nintendo/Sega system in the early 90's, what you guys just demonstrated last night.. lol the reaction would be priceless. haha. It's insane when you think about it.. just how far we've come.

Unreal Engine sure represented well at The Game Awards last night, that's for sure. Hellblade 2 looks simply amazing as well... and FF7R coming to PC reminded me just how incredible that game looks. I can't wait :)

I didn't post anything about foliage or dynamic lighting, that must have been other people.
Yeah sorry I should have quote those separately; I was just being lazy. Didn't mean to imply it was all the same person, I just wanted to respond a bit from my POV on a few of the broader points be made by folks in the thread.

I also am not meaning to be defensive or anything; lots of other engines do great work and obviously full games are what we're ultimately after here. There are also lots of issues with the demo as I'm probably more aware than most... everything is always a moving target after all! I'm just not sure it's useful to criticize this tech demo based on something it is not trying to be so would love to slightly steer the conversation more towards what it *is* doing.

i think here he is real
gbkQzZ.jpg

and there UE5

gbkVbP.jpg

btw the reflections appear to be RT in the Matrix? I can see myself as well the people, buildings and cars reflected in windows behind/out of screen

The fact that it loads faster on XSS than on PS5 clearly shows that they aren't even using the custom I/O on PS5, at least for the main loadings, which is really a shame (and odd) after last year demo.
No, the fact that it loads faster on XSS shows you, that the series S has the fastest storage solution for what it is doing ;). It loads lower quality assets and therefore needs much less bandwidth. The bandwidth per TF should be best on that little console if you calculate in that it loads lower res stuff and therefore smaller stuff. Yes it doesn't show the same quality picture, but that isn't what the console is here for. So if a game heavily relies on IO on Series X on Series S the cache-time for loaded stuff can be even shorter because the IO speed is much more effective with smaller assets. So it basically already needs less memory because it has proportional much more IO bandwidth.

i think here he is real

and there UE5
I think its the same, but the DOF is what gives it away in the bottom, but you have a harder time at the top.
I just downloaded these shots to my PC for examination. These are unedited (no scaling, cropping, etc) aside from conversion to jpg? The default resolution should be 4K right?

No, the fact that it loads faster on XSS shows you, that the series S has the fastest storage solution for what it is doing ;). It loads lower quality assets and therefore needs much less bandwidth. The bandwidth per TF should be best on that little console if you calculate in that it loads lower res stuff and therefore smaller stuff. Yes it doesn't show the same quality picture, but that isn't what the console is here for. So if a game heavily relies on IO on Series X on Series S the cache-time for loaded stuff can be even shorter because the IO speed is much more effective with smaller assets. So it basically already needs less memory because it has proportional much more IO bandwidth.

We might have underestimated XSS/XSX's SSD speed perhaps, its raw figures are lower but its not just about that apperantly. Cant wait to test this on my (aging) PCIE-3 SSD next year, which is quite close now.

I think its the same, but the DOF is what gives it away in the bottom, but you have a harder time at the top.
I just downloaded these shots to my PC for examination. These are unedited (no scaling, cropping, etc) aside from conversion to jpg? The default resolution should be 4K right?

The hairline gives it away. But the fact that we have to resort to such measures in order to tell the difference is in itself insane.

Screens direct from the ps5 to a usb stick and then to lensdump.

They are not the same. Zoom out and look at both images simultaneously. Its pretty obvious.

Yes, with all the focus on the Matrix this seems to have gotten lost in the noise. But in fact I think it looks at least as good. UE5 is simply insane....

Yep... I keep watching it over and over, picking out new details and things I didn't notice previously.

And can we just talk about Melina Juergen's performance in that demo... WOW.. my god. towards the end at around the 5min mark where she's running then turns around and screams for them to attack as the camera pulls in.. holy crap.. I got chills.

Back