Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

My point was it's just a screenshot, it's nothing that should really be commented on, especially given its close resemblance to existing UE5 demos. Certainly not worthy of high praise? Wait till the actual demo or at least a good quality video.

Its The Coalition using Unreal though. They will get latitude where others won't. They make this engine sing so if that is the pic they choose to release, perhaps it is blind faith but most of us are looking at that and are thinking that is the floor of what their first UE5 game will look like.

I'm expecting a realistic take on UE5. It'll be a leap forward, but not "OMG, that's impossible!"

I'm realizing that I still need to play through Gears 2+ before Gears 6 arrives. So many games and so little time...

Yes I think we need to keep expectations in check.

The PS5 was dynamic 1440p30 from what I remember, I would think the Coalition will want at least 1800 as their game will need to scale down to series S. They are also pushing 60 and higher is select modes. How does naniate and lumen scale to allow this.

Very interested to see what they put out given the prior UE5 demo was a PS5 propaganda piece for a while. This is aimed at Devs but they must be aware the gaming public is watching.

Honestly, I think the traditional Gears Art Style is still perfect for showing off Nanite. With its over-ornamental everything, back in the day made to show off their normalmaps, had their artists splurging on Z-brush with zero restraint. That baroque look is still just the right thing to show off intricate micro-geometry today.

Honestly, I think the traditional Gears Art Style is still perfect for showing off Nanite. With its over-ornamental everything, back in the day made to show off their normalmaps, had their artists splurging on Z-brush with zero restraint. That baroque look is still just the right thing to show off intricate micro-geometry today.
I would like to see the original UE3 Demo Atrium and Walls architectures with Nanite. All this Stuff :)

I would like to see the original UE3 Demo Atrium and Walls architectures with Nanite. All this Stuff :)

Yeah, if they "remastered" one of the old demos, that'd be very interesting for us enthusiasts to compare, but I don't know if its a wise move PR wise..

The PS5 was dynamic 1440p30 from what I remember
It was DRS with an average on 1440p before upscaling, at 30FPS. They also claim the engine's performance got a lot better .

Yeah, if they "remastered" one of the old demos, that'd be very interesting for us enthusiasts to compare, but I don't know if its a wise move PR wise..
I would pay for a full remake of Unreal 1 and Unreal 2 on UE5.
We'd just need Epic to make games other than Fortnite and.. erm.. Fortnite.

Really nice. And no rocks. ;)
Neato. It seems that there is some overbiasing happening leadingg to Black shadows outside of screen space (Inferno Shows it well). I Wonder if that "no concave" geo as a Single piece is going to require a lot of time before people realise they are doing it in UE5 - pretty unintuirive from an object Import perspective. Perhaps we will see a lot of UE5 games do that by default on accident.
I hope they iterate on that getting rid of that weird Raster mesh atlas System they have.

for real time lighting its impresive, but theres quite a few errors and it looks so sterile/static (too bright as well)
at least its not rocks.
I would love to see something like the following but with realtime lighting

for real time lighting its impresive, but theres quite a few errors and it looks so sterile/static (too bright as well)
at least its not rocks.

The use of static baked stuff shouldnt even exist in last gen games, yet it did as per your example.

at least its not rocks.

TLOU2 on PS5 is 60fps, this footage is not.

Looks like common UE/Unity store asset shovelware you find on Steam if you look for them. But it's in UE5 so it's good, right?

Its only on pc for now, yes. No mention of a ps5 port as far i can see.
Looks stunning when you actually play it, quite different from your usual game (using light and darkness to gain advantages).

Last edited:
Back