Unreal engine 3 on Wii... possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Wii pull off the graphics in Doom 3 the same way the xbox did? No

Can it pull off the same graphics by another method? Yes.

I don't care if the normal mapping is "faked" or not, as long as it looks the same why should it even matter?

Can Wii pull off the graphics in Doom 3 the same way the xbox did? No

Can it pull off the same graphics by another method? Yes.

I don't care if the normal mapping is "faked" or not, as long as it looks the same why should it even matter?

No dude If the Wii couldn't do it,,, the Xbox didn't use it.

Games on the Xbox hardly used parallax mapping.

Im lost on the subject, i had Doom 3 on my pc and it used average/good effects i could see bumps on the guys skin and very detailed characters at a good 30 to 60 fps.

At the time i was using a 128MB FireGL which is the same performance of a Radeon 900 on a pentium 4.(Not x900)

So that guys quote about Not using normal mapping sounds odd to me.

No dude If the Wii couldn't do it,,, the Xbox didn't use it.

Games on the Xbox hardly used parallax mapping.

Im lost on the subject, i had Doom 3 on my pc and it used average/good effects i could see bumps on the guys skin and very detailed characters at a good 30 to 60 fps.

At the time i was using a 128MB FireGL which is the same performance of a Radeon 900 on a pentium 4.(Not x900)

So that guys quote about Not using normal mapping sounds odd to me.

It sounds odd because it's wrong. There weren't many games on the GC featuring normal mapping because most gc games were ps2 games first. Same with the xbox, the only games that featured normal mapping were xbox exclusives. ( well except splinter cell but it was a former xbox exclusive) The reaon why the Gc versions of Splinter Cell looked nowhere near as good as they did on xbxo is because Ubisoft didn't even bother to port it from the xbox version. The GC version are ports from the stripped down ps2 version. They didn't even try.

You can't fake normal mapping, it's either there or it isn't.

There are several kinds of normal mapping though; world space maps, objevt space maps, and tangent space maps. Only tangent space maps can be applied to (deforming) animated characters, and it takes quite some vertex shading work and complex math.
Other complicating factors include number of lights, use of cubemap-based ambient lighting, light attennuation using LUT textures, and so on.

There's a world of difference between a bump mapped Xwing in Rouge Squadron and a COG soldier in Gears, both in the looks and in the technical implementation.

To pull off normal mapping on the Wii, you would probably have to do it in multiple passes, and have the CPU take care of the per-vertex stuff. In other words, extremely costly.

To pull off normal mapping on the Wii, you would probably have to do it in multiple passes, and have the CPU take care of the per-vertex stuff. In other words, extremely costly.

Well it will probably balance out consider Wii dev kits are under $1,700. Dev kits for the original xbox were close to $40,000. It would still be much less costly to dev a wii game than a 360 or ps3 and by a wide margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back