Fixed a clutch rattle with zip ties!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
We just got our 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock edition back from the shop, she got an new and upgraded clutch since her old one burnt out. It's had a rattle when we change gears for a while, but it's been getting worse. I was hoping a new clutch would fix it, but it was even louder than with the old clutch!

We picked up a 2020 Renegade Trailhawk while she was down. the Wrangler was out of commission for about a month and a half all told, me and my friend spent a few weeks trying to fix the clutch hydraulics before we gave up and had to hand it over to the professionals and Jeep had a 0% finance for 84 months deal, and we got the Trailhawk and an insane mark down. Long/short, we got a baby black jeep to go with our big one so we can leave the top off the big one and just take her out on nice days. I just got a set of half doors this morning that I'm going to put together and put on too for that extry safari feel fun.

Oh, the rattle.

Yesterday I backed it out of the garage and my daughter pointed out something was dripping from it. Turned out to just be water from the AC condensor, but since I was under there all ready I went a little nuts and tried to rattle and shake EVERYTHING to see if I could find where the noise was coming from. You have no idea how shocked I was when I grabbed the driver's side exhaust leading from the headers and shook it and the coupling where it joined to the long run to the cat/resonator rattled like crazy...there was only one screw in a bracket designed for two. I couldn't find a bolt to work, so I just zip tied it up to see if that was indeed the whole problem...and damned if it wasn't!

Before it was having loud exhaust issues and exhaust smells in the cabin as well as the rattle, once I zip tied it not only was the rattle gone but the engine is a lot quieter and no more exhaust smells!

I just got back from the hardware store with some new bolts for it to make it a little better fix. Also got some black cable ties and plan to finally put the fog lights on her. Today is a Jeep day, I got lucky yesterday and I'm still just dancing on air that the fix is so easy. :D

rattlefix.jpg

Oh, btw. The bolt I bought to replace the missing one snapped off halfway in leaving me no more hole to anchor to even with zip ties.

So I bought some metal ones and went around the whole thing with two of them. It's held up fine for over a month now, I haven't told Chrissy. LOL

Also put some cut plastic tubing on the catch where the half doors go, it got rid of all the door rattles. Puppies like it now too.

upload_2021-6-27_13-11-52.png

Also got the dogs nails trimmed, HEAVEN!!! :love:

And yeah, two dogs in an open top Jeep with half doors driving seems dangerous and crazy. I was the anti-dangerous and crazy part of the equation having anxiety attacks keeping them both in the vehicle for the 1/4 mile trek.

Back