Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection [PS5, PC]

So you're concluding that the PS5 is CPU limited at 4k where it's achieving between 40-50 fps when it also has a 1080p mode where it runs between 100-120fps?
The 120fps mode also drops frames so yes if you watched Nx gamers analysis you would know as a remnant from the ps4 version they likely still do some streaming from the cpu. It’s just something to consider

The 120fps mode also drops frames so yes if you watched Nx gamers analysis you would know as a remnant from the ps4 version they likely still do some streaming from the cpu. It’s just something to consider

If the game runs significantly faster at 1080p than 4k (literally around 2.5x faster) with no other graphical changes, then it's not CPU limited at 4k.

On top of that we have that PS4 540p video showing even the jaguars can run the game faster than the PS5 in 4k mode.

So absolutely 100% not CPU limited in that mode. The improvements you're seeing on the 6800 based system there over the PS5 are all coming from the GPU.

If the game runs significantly faster at 1080p than 4k (literally around 2.5x faster) with no other graphical changes, then it's not CPU limited at 4k.

On top of that we have that PS4 540p video showing even the jaguars can run the game faster than the PS5 in 4k mode.

So absolutely 100% not CPU limited in that mode. The improvements you're seeing on the 6800 based system there over the PS5 are all coming from the GPU.
This is false based on the pc versión going from a 3700x to say a 12900k at 4k on a 3090 can get as much as 20 more frames

You also ignored my point I think we can agree the ps5 isn’t gpu limited at 1080p so when it’s dropping under 120 what else could it be?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is false based on the pc versión going from a 3700x to say a 12900k at 4k on a 3090 can get as much as 20 more frames

... with a 3090. You do realise that the CPU bottleneck point changes with the GPU capability right? A 3090 being CPU bottlenecked at 4k on an 3700x does not mean the PS5's GPU would be with a similar CPU and the same resolution.

You also ignored my point I think we can agree the ps5 isn’t gpu limited at 1080p so when it’s dropping under 120 what else could it be?

Why would we agree that? At 1080p the PS5 frame rate is unlocked up to 120fps and therefore it could absolutely be GPU limited.

Not that it's relevant to the original point which was about the PS5 vs 6800 performance at 4k and the fact that the PS5 is not CPU bottlenecked at that resolution.

... with a 3090. You do realise that the CPU bottleneck point changes with the GPU capability right? A 3090 being CPU bottlenecked at 4k on an 3700x does not mean the PS5's GPU would be with a similar CPU and the same resolution.

Why would we agree that? At 1080p the PS5 frame rate is unlocked up to 120fps and therefore it could absolutely be GPU limited.

Not that it's relevant to the original point which was about the PS5 vs 6800 performance at 4k and the fact that the PS5 is not CPU bottlenecked at that resolution.
If a game is light to run for the gpu at that resolution it runs into cpu bottlenecks. The reason I believe it’s cpu bottlenecked at 1080p is cause not only has every reviewer from DF to Nx said it for the mode but you can see in the 1440p mode a couple of moments are still cpu bottlenecked so no we dont agree.

If a game is light to run for the gpu at that resolution it runs into cpu bottlenecks. The reason I believe it’s cpu bottlenecked at 1080p is cause not only has every reviewer from DF to Nx said it for the mode but you can see in the 1440p mode a couple of moments are still cpu bottlenecked so no we dont agree.

I haven't said it's not CPU bottlenecked at 1080p. I've said it doesn't automatically follow that just because a game is running at 1080p that it's CPU limited. It depends on how heavy the game is on both the CPU and GPU as well as what CPU and GPU are being used. In the PS5's case I don't think we have enough information one way or the other to say whether it's the CPU or GPU that is bottlenecking performance at 1080p.

We do however have clear evidence that at 4k, it's the GPU that is the bottleneck. And given the entire premise of this discussion is the PS5 vs 6800 result at 4k, the rest of the discussion is moot.

For the record this chart shows clear performance scaling from low to ultra settings even at 1080p suggesting a GPU bottleneck is still in play there. Granted that's on a 12600k which is a much more powerful CPU than that in the PS5, but the 3060Ti is also a more powerful GPU.

uncharted-legacy-of-thieves-presets.jpg

Here's some good info around the isolated CPU performance in this game:

Seems it can hit over 120fps minimum on a 9900K with half it's cores and hyperthreading disabled. i.e. 4 cores/4 threads.

On a fully activated 9900K (far from the fasters CPU available) it achieves 224 fps minimum. Granted this isn't the heaviest area of the game by all accounts but this is still pretty revealing.

UNCHARTED-Legacy-of-Thieves-Collection-CPU-benchmarks.png

I haven't said it's not CPU bottlenecked at 1080p. I've said it doesn't automatically follow that just because a game is running at 1080p that it's CPU limited. It depends on how heavy the game is on both the CPU and GPU as well as what CPU and GPU are being used. In the PS5's case I don't think we have enough information one way or the other to say whether it's the CPU or GPU that is bottlenecking performance at 1080p.

We do however have clear evidence that at 4k, it's the GPU that is the bottleneck. And given the entire premise of this discussion is the PS5 vs 6800 result at 4k, the rest of the discussion is moot.

For the record this chart shows clear performance scaling from low to ultra settings even at 1080p suggesting a GPU bottleneck is still in play there. Granted that's on a 12600k which is a much more powerful CPU than that in the PS5, but the 3060Ti is also a more powerful GPU.

uncharted-legacy-of-thieves-presets.jpg
But literally no one said cause it’s 1080p it’s automatically bottlenecked am I being trolled right now?

But literally no one said cause it’s 1080p it’s automatically bottlenecked am I being trolled right now?

This is what you said:

"You also ignored my point I think we can agree the ps5 isn’t gpu limited at 1080p so when it’s dropping under 120 what else could it be?"

It seems to me here that you're simply assuming the game must be CPU limited on PS5 because it can't be GPU limited at 1080p. I'm pointing out that this isn't necessarily the case and that we have insufficient information at this stage to conclude one way or the other.

But again, this is an entirely moot point because the argument was whether the game is CPU limited at 4k on PS5 when being compared to the faster RX 6800.

This is what you said:

"You also ignored my point I think we can agree the ps5 isn’t gpu limited at 1080p so when it’s dropping under 120 what else could it be?"

It seems to me here that you're simply assuming the game must be CPU limited on PS5 because it can't be GPU limited at 1080p. I'm pointing out that this isn't necessarily the case and that we have insufficient information at this stage to conclude one way or the other.

But again, this is an entirely moot point because the argument was whether the game is CPU limited at 4k on PS5 when being compared to the faster RX 6800.

No, people are assuming it cant be CPU limited because it can run at 60fps on PS4 JAGUARS. Of course the remake might have been reengineered in some way, but chances are the thing is bot very CPU limited.

No, people are assuming it cant be CPU limited because it can run at 60fps on PS4 JAGUARS. Of course the remake might have been reengineered in some way, but chances are the thing is bot very CPU limited.
iirc this runs 30fps on the PS4. I think only the PS5 is capable of the performance and performance+ modes.

The framerate hits the 120 fps cap far too often in 1080p mode to make any determinations of whether it’s GPU or CPU bound. IMO it would likely bounce between the 2 depending on the scene.

Last edited:
iirc this runs 30fps on the PS4. I think only the PS5 is capable of the performance and performance+ modes.

It was posted more than once here that hackers were able to unlock a low res (540p I think) 60fps mode that runs on ps4 hardware.

EDIT: here is one such post

Interesting to remember how the game ran unlocked at 540p on a base ps4 with a mod

Last edited:
This game seems to be the absolute worst performer out of all Sony games so far. 7000 CC users. Might also be the large size of the game
The game can't be launched on CPUs without AVX2 support, which is a really stupid decision from the developers, considering none of the other more advanced games on PC require this .. a lot of people and I mean A LOT refunded the game because they can't even freaking launch it. This impacted sales.

The developers promised to investigate a solution to this problem soon.

NOTE: We are investigating a solution for users with older CPU’s that do not meet the necessary levels of AVX support. Stay tuned for more information.

Whinging about AVX has gone on way past it's prime. I don't blame devs for telling people to be quiet about it already, this snide attitude of CPU not being of any consequence to gaming has gone on long enough. If you have a decade old CPU it's ancient and going out of the way to support it is beyond the pale, might as well ask for a 3DS backport or something.
I don't agree with this statement, lots and lots of PC gamers didn't feel the need to upgrade their CPUs because the growth in CPU performance has grinded to a halt, we are just mostly adding cores with no substantial per core performance across a whole decade. You can bet that anyone who owns a 1060 or 580/570 or even a 2060/3060 (these are a substantial portion of PC gamers) still owns a decade old CPU of some form, not catering to these gamers is insane, especially if it is done for no good reason, why would this PS4 port need AVX2 support when much more complex games never even needed it?

Please note the game is not just requiring AVX, it's requiring AVX2 specifically, which leaves hordes of i3/5/7 2xxx, 3xxx owners in the dust, despite these CPUs easily supporting AVX1. This is beyond stupid. I don't know of any game that ever did this.

Last edited:
why would this PS4 port need AVX2 support when much more complex games never even needed it?

AVX instructions are usually for security/DRM reasons, not specifically acceleration. Atleast thats what i have heard awhile ago researching it, for these ports. Some games do require it for some specific particle acceleration but even there when using workarounds there doesnt seem to be any performance losses.
AVX2 made its debut with Haswell almost 10 years ago, in that sense it should be quite common, however there is no reason for UC4 to require AVX2.

UC4 just aint that great of a port, its not just the AVX2 instruction set thats weird with this one. Moving forwards we will see better ports now that Nixxes is more involved and Sony gone all-in on pc since.

The game can't be launched on CPUs without AVX2 support, which is a really stupid decision from the developers, considering none of the other more advanced games on PC require this .. a lot of people and I mean A LOT refunded the game because they can't even freaking launch it. This impacted sales.

Are the numbers visible somewhere? Generally when lots of people are unhappy, game review scores get a hammering but U4 is showing as Very Positive. That could just be Chloe's arse though. Hard to tell. You obviously wouldn't know because you need AVX2 to see Chloe's arse.

Looks like there is a workaround for Intel non-AVX2 CPUs.

edit: but it looks like it does not work for everybody. D'oh!

Has anyone tested the Nov 4th patch yet which apparently improves LOD quality at higher settings? I wonder if PC is now a match for PS5 in that regard?

Back