Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection [PS5, PC]

Last edited:
Has anyone tested the Nov 4th patch yet which apparently improves LOD quality at higher settings? I wonder if PC is now a match for PS5 in that regard?
I've played the game since then, but I haven't went out of my way to test it or anything. Would you like me to? I don't have a PS5 so is there a specific image you have that I could test against?

Ok, I just quickly checked the Digital Foundry video and saw a section to easily check, and yea, I can confirm the LOD is now the same (if not SLIGHTLY better) than the PS5.

I made a quick edit to DF's comparison and added my shot in there. The vines on the side of the building are even more pronounced and visible on the PC now... but that could just as easily be because I'm running it at a way higher resolution than the PS5 is. So for all intents and purposes, they are the same. (Also sorry the youtube video vignette is darkening those images in comparison to my shot)

test.png

Ok, I just quickly checked the Digital Foundry video and saw a section to easily check, and yea, I can confirm the LOD is now the same (if not SLIGHTLY better) than the PS5.

I made a quick edit to DF's comparison and added my shot in there. The vines on the side of the building are even more pronounced and visible on the PC now... but that could just as easily be because I'm running it at a way higher resolution than the PS5 is. So for all intents and purposes, they are the same. (Also sorry the youtube video vignette is darkening those images in comparison to my shot)

test.png

That's awesome thanks! Really great evidence there too. That's pretty conclusive and good news all round. Now if only they could fix the poor performance!

AVX instructions are usually for security/DRM reasons, not specifically acceleration. Atleast thats what i have heard awhile ago researching it, for these ports. Some games do require it for some specific particle acceleration but even there when using workarounds there doesnt seem to be any performance losses.
AVX can be quite a huge win for many applications. Rigid body physics solvers, animation, all kinds of essential stuff.
Edit: Any linear algebra in any game, so vec3, vec4 or matrix data types, are usually implemented using SIMD intrinsics, so that's heavily used and not something which isn't important to have.
AVX2 raised some important instructions (FMA) from 128 to 256 bits, iirc.
So if your research gave DRM as the primaray application, that's likely a missinformation, or at least not representative.
Ofc. DRM systems will utilize all sorts of rare or exotic CPU instructions, but if so, they likely do not rule out older CPU archs. They just try to make it harder for a hacker to patch all protection code for all kinds of CPUs out there.

But just said to defend CPU SIMD. I'm neither expert with that nor with DRM.
Personally i guess the reason some game devs require modern instructions earlier than others simply is they either forgot to care about compatibility, or they use optimized code requiring those instructions and can't write alternatives in short time close to launch.

Last edited:
That's awesome thanks! Really great evidence there too. That's pretty conclusive and good news all round. Now if only they could fix the poor performance!
You're welcome. It was very easy to test that spot because it's right during a cutscene at the start of a chapter, so I didn't have to play into a level and could easily test it because the camera will be from the same exact distance.

So yea, I'm presuming the other areas all have PS5 equivalent draw distance now. It's a shame they actually didn't push it out further. There's still plenty of LOD fading in and out when aiming with weapons and such.. which also happens on PS5 of course... but it would have been nice to see that pushed out way further.

As for performance I can't really be too sure about that for lower end hardware.. but yeah it would be nice if they could do a bit more of an optimization pass.

LOD has definitely improved in one of the later patches.

• LOD Improvements

• Improved LOD quality for High & Ultra texture quality settings
  • Improved LOD fade using the enhanced model quality setting

Motion Blur too ..

• Updated motion blur correctness at up to 8k resolution

As for performance, my dusty setup of 3770K and 2080Ti does manage 45fps in Lost Legacy's open world section, at max settings and native 4K. Which is about what the PS5 does at 4K native VRR too. So it's not that bad given my ancient CPU.

Last edited:
Has there been any peep about a new Uncharted game?

The last release was this game in January 2022 so it's almost 2 years. And does this game even have new content or it was a greatest hits of the previous Uncharted games?

I don't see there being another Uncharted game from ND for a long time. Their next game will almost certainly be in TLOU universe.

I don't see there being another Uncharted game from ND for a long time. Their next game will almost certainly be in TLOU universe.
Naughty Dog recently confirmed that TLoU Part 3 isn't in active development, which confirms the years-long rumours that the new next game will be a new IP. A recurring rumour has been that the game will be a "dieselpunk fantasy action game".

Naughty Dog recently confirmed that TLoU Part 3 isn't in active development, which confirms the years-long rumours that the new next game will be a new IP. A recurring rumour has been that the game will be a "dieselpunk fantasy action game".
They just recently said they have multiple single player games in the works. We can guess that one is certainly the new IP Neil's team is working on, then there's potentially a partnership with with Bend Studio on an Uncharted game.. and perhaps TLOU3 is somewhere in the very beginning stages of planning or something.

They just recently said they have multiple single player games in the works. We can guess that one is certainly the new IP Neil's team is working on, then there's potentially a partnership with with Bend Studio on an Uncharted game.. and perhaps TLOU3 is somewhere in the very beginning stages of planning or something.
Perhaps, I guess it depends what Naughty Dog mean by "active development". That may mean low-key storyboarding, but no active engineering resource. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Bend Studio announced their next game would be a "a new IP that includes multiplayer and builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone, but brings you a whole new world", although they have idly spoken of an Uncharted prequel but that would be a long way off.

Perhaps, I guess it depends what Naughty Dog mean by "active development". That may mean low-key storyboarding, but no active engineering resource. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Bend Studio announced their next game would be a "a new IP that includes multiplayer and builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone, but brings you a whole new world", although they have idly spoken of an Uncharted prequel but that would be a long way off.
Then you have a new IP from Neil, and two unknown games. Perhaps they took Uncharted back from Bend and are doing it themselves now? Perhaps they are all new games... although I doubt it.

Either way... I'll be surprised if we get more than 1 new game out of Naughty Dog this entire generation.

OK, if not Uncharted, they need to put something out.

Was Uncharted Legacy of Thieves the last thing ND put out then?

Either way... I'll be surprised if we get more than 1 new game out of Naughty Dog this entire generation.
Naughty Dog's output of new full games is appalling. PS3 saw four titles (Uncharted 1-3, The Last of Us) over seven years, PS4 saw two titles (Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2) along with the smaller Lost Legacy over seven years, and here we are three full years after PS5's launch with no new game released or even announced.

Bethesda Game Studios' main team declined in the same way, they released Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim in the 360/PS3 era. I cannot see how it's economical for a studio to spend 5+ years on one game, particularly when it's console exclusive, and next to Insomniac who in the same time released Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man 2, not to mention a remaster of the original Spider-Man.

Naughty Dog's output of new full games is appalling. PS3 saw four titles (Uncharted 1-3, The Last of Us) over seven years, PS4 saw two titles (Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2) along with the smaller Lost Legacy over seven years, and here we are three full years after PS5's launch with no new game released or even announced.

Bethesda Game Studios' main team declined in the same way, they released Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim in the 360/PS3 era. I cannot see how it's economical for a studio to spend 5+ years on one game, particularly when it's console exclusive, and next to Insomniac who in the same time released Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man 2, not to mention a remaster of the original Spider-Man.
There's very few large studios where this isn't the case. We've gone from being able to make AAA games in 2-3 years to requiring 4-5+ years very quickly.

It's why I laugh when people suggest that games are being 'rushed' out these days. No, studios are being given more time than ever, and by quite a margin.

It's also why these big studios are mostly having to switch to a parallel split team approach. Because economically, only releasing one game every five years or so is incredibly risky and unsustainable.

This isn't about a 'decline' amongst studios, it's simply the modern reality of game development. Though obviously Naughty Dog clearly failed when it came to the Factions live service game. But that's a separate issue than the general overall trend in the industry of very long development times.

Back