Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres the initial e3 2006 uncharted reveal thread.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=30636
As you can see I was heavily in praise of the game engine technically, In hindsight looks like I knew they were onto a good thing

btw: the uncharted 4 trailer, nice but we dont see much, though I assume they dont wanna show all at once so far from release, just a teaser

They look fairly similar and both look great. But I agree... the shaders and detail look a bit better in Uncharted IMO. The most impressive thing, though, is that the facial animations are so incredibly life-like. This is where I feel Uncharted beats Ryse, or anything else handily IMO. I cannot believe they're targeting 1080p/60fps. This game is gonna make my eyes melt.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know how accurate this is, but I found this post:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1758494&postcount=1437

Originally Posted by dollseyes View Post
Spoke with one of the character artists from Naughty dog who shared this info on Last Of Us with me-

Tri count for in-game Joel was around 30k including hair, excluding his backpack. Joel was using 1024 or 512 textures separated into many maps (head, hair, watch, arms, torso, pants, shoes).

Which seems almost hard to believe, considering over 60k for Drake in UC4 seems very low to me.

soc4l3za91gpx90nmvkq.png

au16cdnhkaskq5keee0v.png

"in engine" and "in game" They are not always equal to the real time.

I thought Corinne got fired from ND?
Or was that just another GAF rumour that didn't go anywhere...

Very impressive if true (and given it is Naughty Dog, there is good reason to think it is true).

btw: the uncharted 4 trailer, nice but we dont see much, though I assume they dont wanna show all at once so far from release, just a teaser
They quite possibly don't have that much to show, and scrambled around like lunatics to get a demo that looked close to final target. They grabbed a small part of a level that was working, perhaps one of the first cutscenes they have been working on, and got it out there. ;)

So about the "it's pre-rendered."
:???: It's a single character in a very localised space. Why would anyone doubt PS4 can do this? I can understand doubting the game will look as good in play, but questioning whether this is off a PS4 is just making trouble for trouble's sake. Even if it wasn't off PS4, PS4 could do that (render that one particular cutscene) with enough time, effort and optimisation.

:???: It's a single character in a very localised space. Why would anyone doubt PS4 can do this? I can understand doubting the game will look as good in play, but questioning whether this is off a PS4 is just making trouble for trouble's sake. Even if it wasn't off PS4, PS4 could do that (render that one particular cutscene) with enough time, effort and optimisation.

But we arent viewing this trailer as a tech demo. We view the trailer as an indication of the final game. Sure one character can be rendered in such quality or close. The dark sorcerer demo was such an example.
But we know as a game it will have physics, AI, some sort of unpredictability, NPCs, dynamic shadows and lighting, all sorts of crazy effects....
If they are showing tech demos that favor high detailed models that wont be in the game its as indicative of the game as an offline rendered video.

Sony has been careful to use weasel words like "in engine" and "captured directly" that have historically been used to introduce Naughty Dog cutscenes that were prerendered with much higher detail, quality, and framerate than realtime. Skepticism is warranted.

Sony has been careful to use weasel words like "in engine" and "captured directly" that have historically been used to introduce Naughty Dog cutscenes that were prerendered with much higher detail, quality, and framerate than realtime. Skepticism is warranted.

But we have been told that this is running on the PS4, in real time, so it could be a cut scene, but its being rendered in real time and I doubt they didn't learn from the backlash they got from last time.

To be honest I expect the gameplay to be slightly worse especially if targeting 60fps, this really is what I would expect from a late gen PS4 title, not next year, not at 60fps 1080p, this is too much for me to take right now..

But we have been told that this is running on the PS4, in real time, so it could be a cut scene, but its being rendered in real time and I doubt they didn't learn from the backlash they got from last time.

Where have they said that it is realtime? I am also unaware of any real backlash for the prerendered scenes, only a stream of awards.

Which still says nothing :LOL:

ND used to render the cut scenes on actual PS3 (PS4) hardware @ 1080p30 using their engine, in non-realtime, then scale it down to e.g. 720p30, compress the video and play it as cutscene

For TLoU, they were able to render the cutscenes and in-game scenes at the same resolution.. 1080p60

So rendered in real-time just means it has been generated by their engine on PS4 hardware.. without having to use CGI...

No where was it said that it that it is running in real time. Only "captured-on" & "in-engine" which clearly points to pre-rendered in-engine like some of Rise's cut-scenes.

No where was it said that it that it is running in real time. Only "captured-on" & "in-engine" which clearly points to pre-rendered in-engine like some of Rise's cut-scenes.

No it doesn't point to anything like that

aqD3gNf.png

Not pre-rendered or CG at all, I take real time from that. Why do people not believe this?.

Skepticism of what? If people are thinking every moment in the game is going to look this good with every NPC being of the same detail then they haven't been paying attention to the games industry for the past 10 years. ;) Cutscenes always look gorgeous and then the game proper always looks a lot simpler and gamey. There's no reason to think otherwise nor reason to expect this cutscene being rendered in realtime. That said why would people doubt it's possible? It's a cutscene. It can be heavily optimised to run in realtime. And even if it was proven to be running in realtime on a PS4 that doesn't say much for how the game itself will look.

So I don't see the importance in establishing whether this demo was realtime or not. It bares little relationship to how the game proper will look either way.

ND used to render the cut scenes on actual PS3 (PS4) hardware @ 1080p30 using their engine, in non-realtime, then scale it down to e.g. 720p30, compress the video and play it as cutscene

For TLoU, they were able to render the cutscenes and in-game scenes at the same resolution.. 1080p60

So rendered in real-time just means it has been generated by their engine on PS4 hardware.. without having to use CGI...

This is still pointless. They are still offline renderered with detail that the actual console cant run real time. Its not just the resolution that was better.

No it doesn't point to anything like that

aqD3gNf.png

Not pre-rendered or CG at all, I take real time from that. Why do people not believe this?.

Why ? Because "real-time" was never mentioned. This is basic PR 101 and has always turned out to be true. If a developer doesn't say that his demo was running in real-time and only "captured in engine" it means that it was a pre-rendered cut-scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back