Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see something new on the gameplay side for UC4.
In they UC2 improved melee, traversal, shooting, set-pieces and puzzles (and the graphics of course) but UC3 was more of the same but prettier.

I would like to see something new on the gameplay side for UC4.
In they UC2 improved melee, traversal, shooting, set-pieces and puzzles (and the graphics of course) but UC3 was more of the same but prettier.
From where I sit (on my comfy sofa) the combat looks far more fluid than previous games. The melee looks like The Last of Us++ somewhat added by the options the grapple gives to rapid traversal. Throw in the options of evasion and stealth and this is more than enough to change things up for me.

The melee looks more fluid (apparently guns don't magically get back to the holster during melee) but I don't see anything new compared to UC3 aside for the mini QTE.
It was nice in Hitman Absolution or MGS Ground Zeroes to be able to use enemies as human shield or disarm them and use their guns, ND could do the same here.
It would be nice also if Drake could slide and shoot after/during a slide or while being prone or crouched (something a la Resident Evil 6 for reference) it would be both spectacular and practical IMO.
I like cover shooting but it really reduces all firefights to the same routine.

The grapple is nice but can we use anywhere or just fixed spots?!

Last edited:
Nice vid:

The attention to detail is mind blowing. The physics are insane. Finally a game that approaches Eight Days :)

I am so excited now after watching that I can't probably sleep tonight :(
I want it so much!!

Wow, that dude has a great eye on catching things. The lighting and shadowing system is on another level...

Nice vid:

The attention to detail is mind blowing. The physics are insane. Finally a game that approaches Eight Days :)

I am so excited now after watching that I can't probably sleep tonight :(
I want it so much!!
That is just insane amount of detail and interaction. It's incredible what they've achieved.

I think they should stick to 60 fps. Uncharted Trilogy together with Uncharted 4 would be a consistent experience. Also it should easily win any graphics comparisons with other 60 fps games. Now with 30 fps they are competing with games like The Order 1886. Based on available videos I think that Uncharted 4 does not look as impressive as other 30 fps games. Of course there is really good physics and facial animation and dense foliage, but for me it lacks this next gen feeling. Also I am not a big fan of changes in how faces look and general art style and color palette. But we will see, time will tell. At the moment Horizon looks much more impressive to me.

ND are definitely great at designing their levels for optimum performance. Notice that the areas with the most destruction are also the most secluded.

Based on available videos I think that Uncharted 4 does not look as impressive as other 30 fps games. Of course there is really good physics and facial animation and dense foliage, but for me it lacks this next gen feeling. Also I am not a big fan of changes in how faces look and general art style and color palette. But we will see, time will tell. At the moment Horizon looks much more impressive to me.

We are all entitled to our opinions, I guess.

We are all entitled to our opinions, I guess.
Well I find it kind of funny because on one hand he describes some amazing visual features where U4 offers a generational leap and on the other he says he is not interested about those and that the game doesnt look next gen.
Well I can kind of understand where he may be coming from though and this is because ND have out done their selves with Uncharted 2 and partly 3. These games were so well crafted and have done so amazing things, that they felt that they belonged to a generation farther. Even if the hardware is 10 times more powerful its hard for developers to surpass their selves and come up with crazier attention to detail when their work was outstandingly amazing before. Uncharted 4 plays a lot with details that are not sticking in our faces

Well I find it kind of funny because on one hand he describes some amazing visual features where U4 offers a generational leap
I don't find any single feature that is really a generation leap. SSR seems to look worse than in Shadow Fall and Infamous. Foliage is nice but there are other games with nice foliage. Faces are extremely detailed but it has side effect - they really stick out. It almost feels like faces are from PlayStation 4.5 and rest of the game is PlayStation 3.5. As I said this is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. For me it seems that ND really hit the sweet spot with their engine and PlayStation 3 architecture, but with more traditional PlayStation 4 architecture other developers seems to match them or even surpass them.

I don't find any single feature that is really a generation leap.
The point is that maybe you shouldn't look at individual features but how they managed to fit a lot of impressive features all together and make the game look like it does, which to most other people is way above 99% of everything else out there. As a whole ensemble and not just a list of features.

I mostly agree with @PePePL remarks. They should have aimed for an improvement of TLOUR standards. Technically it's obviously a very competent demo on all accounts, probably the most impressive tech of E3. But I have being more impressed by Battlefront or by The Last Guardian which are both more realistic in their respective ways.

Also I still prefer the PSX demo which was more realistic IMO, less "cinematic cartoon" that this E3 demo (that oddly reminded me the Tintin cartoon, well animated movie, directed by Spielberg). I showed the video to my nephew, he wasn't impressed either (he was more impressed by the TLG video). When the demo got to the car scene, my nephew immediately said to me: Why is it so blurry when they turn? o_O

You can't invent this kind of anecdote.

I mostly agree with @PePePL remarks. They should have aimed for an improvement of TLOUR standards. Technically it's obviously a very competent demo on all accounts, probably the most impressive tech of E3. But I have being more impressed by Battlefront or by The Last Guardian which are both more realistic in their respective ways.

Also I still prefer the PSX demo which was more realistic IMO, less "cinematic cartoon" that this E3 demo (that oddly reminded me the Tintin cartoon, well animated movie, directed by Spielberg). I showed the video to my nephew, he wasn't impressed either (he was more impressed by the TLG video). When the demo got to the car scene, my nephew immediately said to me: Why is it so blurry when they turn? o_O

You can't invent this kind of anecdote.
Why do I feel that people are confusing their taste in art with visual quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back