Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah exactly true, UC has always been excellent at 30fps and UC2 has won over 250+ awards for being a 30fps shooter. I think it really is a set in stone fact that reviewers and most gamers care about visual presentation and gameplay first and fore most, fps is not nearly as crucial but only mentioned when it dips like a mofo or very inconsistent.
I would too be more than glad if they simply lock it at 30fps while stay true to their graphics and gameplay vision.

aku9v35qobxc2c0j0u27.jpg

Glad we got final confirmation. With these kind of efforts coming out of ND, this will be great generation of gaming. :D

I was expecting 30fps too. TBH, before the trailer, I didn't think that kind of fidelity was possible at 30fps on PS4. But if it looks anything like that at 60fps, I'm not complaining. I don't think I've ever played a game that looked amazing at 60fps before. Uncharted might be the one.

Is Morpheus going to be a target for this game? Probably not as it's not a great fit (3rd person). ND may have an eye on that though, so provide a 60 fps mode for normal play and same or 120 Hz pared-back version for Morpheus.

Yeah exactly true, UC has always been excellent at 30fps and UC2 has won over 250+ awards for being a 30fps shooter.

Hum, no. Those awards had NOTHING to do with it being a "30fps shooter". Uncharted 2 was a terrific game, both visually, but also from a gameplay perspective and also a milestone when compared to many other similar games. The only reason I say it "worked as a 30fps game" is because the platforming aspect is very forgiving and doesn't require micro split reaction timing (a lot is handled by the engine and forgiving). Sure the on shooting action would be great to have a higher framerate, but most is being played from the 'further back' 3rd person perspective, so there's little twitchy camera movement involved etc. Tomb Raider: Definite Edition shows nicely though how a higher framerate could benefit the game greatly though.

Anyway, if they will get this at 60fps, all the better, but I think still a lot can happen between now and 2015.

Is Morpheus going to be a target for this game? Probably not as it's not a great fit (3rd person). ND may have an eye on that though, so provide a 60 fps mode for normal play and same or 120 Hz pared-back version for Morpheus.

3rd person games are fully viable for VR, including all types like those that have "on rail camera", spectator camera [watching over table with DOTA match running on it], and fixed camera behind the TPS character. The only problem is, VR devs are today much more in love in 1st person view. :)

They may have already reached an internal level where the question is, what exactly can i get from 30fps, lenghty shaders, more polys, fx res, etc.. and considering 60fps also potentially enhance a lot of aspect in the visual representation, motion resolution, and so on. Are the upgrade i can get in 30fps could really overcome the ones i can get in 60.

Maybe it's their answer, even from a visual standpoint.

That trailer is still shocking, specially the close up as every aspect of the rendering has so much defintion and is so clean. The hair just look insane for RT.

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought the requirements were 2 images at 960×1080@60fps, that should equal 1 image at 1080p@60fps.

So in fact every 1080p60fps PS4 game should be easily doable for Morpheus without doing a pared-back version.

Am I missing something?

No you are correct, I think Shifty is forgetting each eye has its own (piece of) display and no shuttering is involved.

However, 2x half the screen is still more work, because you need to render from different angles, so a lot of work needs to be done twice.

I thought the requirements were 2 images at 960×1080@60fps, that should equal 1 image at 1080p@60fps.

So in fact every 1080p60fps PS4 game should be easily doable for Morpheus without doing a pared-back version.

Am I missing something?
I'm thinking Morpheus may operate at 120 Hz. So it's either 60 Hz for a 60 Hz Morpheus and the standard TV experience is 60 Hz, or it'll be simplified for 120 Hz. However, they can't render at 30 Hz if they want to be compatible with Morpheus. 60 Hz is the minimum. So ND may be targeting that with the option to produce simpler graphics should it go 120 Hz. If they target 30 Hz for TV, they can pare back for 60 Hz for a 60 Hz Morpheus, but if Morpheus goes 120 Hz they would have to cut too much. Hence, IMO, the possibility of Morpheus requires 60 Hz for the TV experience of any game.

And Sony must have ND looking at Morpheus!

I'm thinking Morpheus may operate at 120 Hz. So it's either 60 Hz for a 60 Hz Morpheus and the standard TV experience is 60 Hz, or it'll be simplified for 120 Hz.
Have a read of GamaSutra's interview with Anton Mikhailov (one of Morpheus's designers) a few days back. He said:

Anton Mikhailov said:
"In VR, it's not really a choice. You have to go at least 60, preferably higher. It's kind of a new bar. There are new rules you should obey as a developer. Frame rate and latency are really, really important".

So yeah, 60fps looks to be the low bar.

I'm thinking Morpheus may operate at 120 Hz. So it's either 60 Hz for a 60 Hz Morpheus and the standard TV experience is 60 Hz, or it'll be simplified for 120 Hz. However, they can't render at 30 Hz if they want to be compatible with Morpheus. 60 Hz is the minimum. So ND may be targeting that with the option to produce simpler graphics should it go 120 Hz. If they target 30 Hz for TV, they can pare back for 60 Hz for a 60 Hz Morpheus, but if Morpheus goes 120 Hz they would have to cut too much. Hence, IMO, the possibility of Morpheus requires 60 Hz for the TV experience of any game.

And Sony must have ND looking at Morpheus!

Morpheus already interpolates a 60Hz signal into 120Hz with their magic box dohicky thing. I think it also does sound processing as well.

And I do think Morpheus support is coming for this game. Imagine how many units they'll ship with this game as a bundle?? May god rest our souls when we all die of ecstasy after we try U4 for the first time in VR :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back