Trouble with cookies?

WaltC

Veteran
I've noticed this for several weeks now, and as the problem still affects me, I thought I'd let the admins know about it.

When I logon through my identity, about 70% of the time I try to access a forum page, make a post, preview it, submit it, etc., the system either times out to a blank page reporting "done" or else it times out to an error message reporting "server too busy, try again later." Both situations are remediable only by pressing the page refresh button within the browser, sometimes several times. This happens predictably whether I'm running the latest version of FireFox or IE7--makes no difference.

However, I notice that when I log out and the B3d site informs me that it is going to delete my B3d cookies, the problem disappears and I can scan the forum pages at will without delay, albeit in read-only mode, of course.

I'm also running Vista 32 Ultimate, if that might make some kind of difference. Just wondering if this has come up before. Thanks!

Edit: Wanted to add it's doing it even as I am trying to preview this particular post.

I've seen the behavior you're describing on vBulletin forums several times before. It might happen if there are messed up cookies stored on your computer that for some reason does not get deleted when you log out. Try to manually remove all cookies set by beyond3d.com, including forum.beyond3d.com, www.beyond3d.com, whatever.beyond3d.com (as well as other server aliases you may have been accessing the site through such as b3df.hexus.net) and see if that sorts out your issues.

Incidently, B3D (and Hexus, naturally) went down just as I was posting this. Been happening occationally since the new site went up. Could be a routing problem on my end though, but I doubt it.

Yeah, things have been up and down a bit recently. As far as I'm aware it's being looked at, but I've got no news on top of that.

As for the cookie issue, it shouldn't happen any more *fingers crossed*, just poked and prodded some settings, sacrificed a chicken, sold KILER's soul to the devil and hopefully fixed it.

Thanks much, Rys! Whatever you did seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again. As of this a.m. all seems well.

I think it was probably the chicken that did it--pass me a drumstick...;)

Thanks much, Rys! Whatever you did seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again. As of this a.m. all seems well.

I think it was probably the chicken that did it--pass me a drumstick...;)
Oh no, now he can spend less time logging in and more time writing fifty page posts. :(

:devilish:

This is probably a common sense (so forgive me for being pedantic) answer, but have you tried it with a different browser? Different machine (thus other profile with different levels of cached -app- or NetBT -isp- retention)?

Back