Trinity vs Ivy Bridge

35lu9vd.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7560919429.107699.135403179429&type=1&theater

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=2&gid=1181&sgid=1182&pid=1477&psn&lid=1&leg=0

I don't really get point of making these highend'ish motherboards for the A-series.

Me too.

The A-series seems like a better fit for mini ITX systems, where you can build a capable Wii-sized PC for your kids, that does reasonably well in games.

Cheers

Yeah I mean there are none on sale currently, at least not in the UK. Can't see any on Newegg either.

You can either ask your stores in UK or motherboards manufacturers directly. Wonder if they need some delivery time, when exactly they will have products, so you can order, etc.

You can either ask your stores in UK or motherboards manufacturers directly. Wonder if they need some delivery time, when exactly they will have products, so you can order, etc.

I actually have an account with the UK's main ASRock distributor and they don't have any in stock either. I wonder if they are still trying to run down their FM1 stock.

I emailed Scan on Tuesday and got this reply -

In regards to the motherboards, the itx are hard to source at the moment. We are slowly adding them to the website once stock is available at the suppliers.

I will be getting mid-high end board for FM2 and I cluster myself as enthusiast. You can have fun tweaking and overclocking hardware even without getting best overlay performance.
Besides FM2 will get Kaveri APU next year so these motherboards will have a bit of life in them.

I agree though going for $200+ APU board is pointless, but spending $100-$130 on decent quality product with all up to date connectivity is not a bad choice for a bit of fun on AMD.

Once I get my hands on A10-5800K I'm planning on tweaking it for both minimum power as well as maximum reasonable performance for air cooled HTPC. Memory choice will be quite important as I'm hoping to hit 2400MHz+
All that in not too distant future I hope :smile:

The only uses I have for A-series desktop parts are HTPC's (which they are the best at) and nettops for using in conference rooms at work.

The only uses I have for A-series desktop parts are HTPC's (which they are the best at) and nettops for using in conference rooms at work.

Guys, don't be so rude. :mrgreen: Everything is alright if pricing is the correct one. Ask for the proper price if you dislike it and then enjoy it even for more serious stuff.

WTH is HTPC by the way? /sarcaasm

:LOL:

Well I just read Ars technica review and it is less than underwhelming (by the way it looks a lot like a tech report review, they adopted the same methodology or there is partnership going on?).
For most user including gaming, the last pentium and cheap Hd6670 or Nv matching part (gtx 640?) is in the same ball park with regard to price, offers both better gaming performances and lower power consumption :(

Well I just read Ars technica review and it is less than underwhelming (by the way it looks a lot like a tech report review, they adopted the same methodology or there is partnership going on?).
For most user including gaming, the last pentium and cheap Hd6670 or Nv matching part (gtx 640?) is in the same ball park with regard to price, offers both better gaming performances and lower power consumption :(

It is a Tech Report review, they have a partnership.

That Pentium + 6670 couple would offer better gaming performance, but lower power? Perhaps lower peak CPU power, maybe even lower gaming power (though not by much) but significantly higher idle power. Without discrete graphics, Trinity idles very low: http://techreport.com/review/23662/amd-a10-5800k-and-a8-5600k-trinity-apus-reviewed/7. Now, how often is your desktop idle, how often is it under full load?

Plus, that Pentium would be slower in most other apps.

Actually, I think Trinity makes a very nice desktop chip for people who are interested in some gaming, but not enough to want to get a discrete graphics card. That may not be a very large market, but it's there. And obviously, Trinity is not well-suited for people who need a lot of computing power, but that's actually a pretty small portion of the market.

a low cost "family gaming" desktop would still be interesting, the main appeal is all heat producing hardware is under the CPU cooler, so it's cheap to make silent and reliable.
a fan failure on the graphics card is less than fun (happened to a PC I built for my brothers with leftover parts and a new mobo)

To be fair, a quad core is useless, unless you're doing photo and video editing, or using audio software with synths/sequencers etc.
So, an APU is good for people who do multithreaded CPU intensive tasks and gaming on the side.

It is a Tech Report review, they have a partnership.

That Pentium + 6670 couple would offer better gaming performance, but lower power? Perhaps lower peak CPU power, maybe even lower gaming power (though not by much) but significantly higher idle power. Without discrete graphics, Trinity idles very low: http://techreport.com/review/23662/amd-a10-5800k-and-a8-5600k-trinity-apus-reviewed/7. Now, how often is your desktop idle, how often is it under full load?

Actually, I think Trinity makes a very nice desktop chip for people who are interested in some gaming, but not enough to want to get a discrete graphics card. That may not be a very large market, but it's there. And obviously, Trinity is not well-suited for people who need a lot of computing power, but that's actually a pretty small portion of the market.
Well the pentium consumes more or less the same as a core i3 and hardware.fr measurements show that under max load situation the pentium hd6670 couple wins (not true idle as you pointed out) and is the same under F1.
Sad part is they could have used a HD7750 which perform significantly better than HD 6670 for the the power consumption (more costly though but still more than reasonable for a gamer on a budget)(Edit actually the hd 7750 consumes less idle / Edit) and I don't know how gt 650 fares, the GT 640 consume a bit less than the hd 6670 and still outperform Trinity by it self.

For the other uses well, I guess it heavily depends on what one does. I would say that for most users both are already good enough, I suspect that most PC users don't do anything performance sensitive including most gamers (for them outside of gaming). So if I were to give advices to a person that doesn't know anything and care for gaming, I would favor the pentium based set-up by a significant margins.
For my self, doing mostly browsing/emails/few offices works, it is also a better set-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, a quad core is useless, unless you're doing photo and video editing, or using audio software with synths/sequencers etc.
So, an APU is good for people who do multithreaded CPU intensive tasks and gaming on the side.

True. It helps a bit with file compression/decompression, but that's about it for common users. But at least it's future-proof.

Back