Trinity vs Ivy Bridge

Yes, just like Phenom II was pure crap because Phenom "1" was? ;)
No, because serial IPC matters. Llano was about half of SB there.

Even if AMD lives up to it's 10% improvement in Piledriver promise, IB will wipe out that difference. AMD needs to gain on Intel's IPC to matter, even though their GPUs are awesome.

rpg, you point is still moot for "budget gaming" computers (for gaming laptops, even more). And, for media consumption.

Actually, for consumers, it's hard to find anything that will make IVB seem noticeably faster than Trinity. If the consumers are smart, they should get an SSD and will get way better "serial performance". (But probably, they are not smart nor willing to spend those money).

Encoding videos?

BD isn't actually that bad on that particular task
On pass 1 it's slower than SB's, but on 2nd pass it's actually fastest according to Muropaketti's bench

If we assume 1h video with 24 FPS, FX-8150 is actually faster than Core i7 2500K by over 8 minutes

bench_x264_pass1_fx8150.png

bench_x264_pass2_fx8150.png

If you want to play games, you would choose some HSA stuff and wait while your movies are encoded. You can transcode via AMD App too, although slower probably

In case not, yeah then Intel's offers are also compelling. Drivers matter. QuickSync plays but a part here.

Last edited by a moderator:
No quick sync on those tests?

Of course not, to ensure max quality. QuickSync might be better than what nVidia does with CUDA for example (the old anand review), but it's still not the same as "pure software mode", even if the differences are subtle

Oh I see, it's because of the max quality the aforementioned consumers that couldn't have possibly gotten any advantage by purchasing sandy bridge (or ivy bridge) over llano (or trinity) certainly desire and expect.
Obviously no one wants to encode/transcode their videos at much higher speed and a fraction of the power of other products because of subtle differences the vast majority of people wouldn't see in a double blind test. It makes totally sense :)

Oh I see, it's because of the max quality the aforementioned consumers that couldn't have possibly gotten any advantage by purchasing sandy bridge (or ivy bridge) over llano (or trinity) certainly desire and expect.
Obviously no one wants to encode/transcode their videos at much higher speed and a fraction of the power of other products because of subtle differences the vast majority of people wouldn't see in a double blind test. It makes totally sense :)

Yes, one would probably use QuickSync if his/her software supports it, just like one would use AMD APP/STREAM acceleration probably, or in case of Trinity, VCE.
The point was only to show that the CPU isn't all that bad in every scenario ;)

--

Aside from that, why exactly is Trinity VLIW4? Sure, VLIW4 was ready earlier than GCN, that's a given, but Trinity still features VCE which was introduced with GCN, as well as DX11.1 support apparently, which wasn't part of the only other VLIW4 chip either.

rpg, you point is still moot for "budget gaming" computers (for gaming laptops, even more). And, for media consumption.

Actually, for consumers, it's hard to find anything that will make IVB seem noticeably faster than Trinity. If the consumers are smart, they should get an SSD and will get way better "serial performance". (But probably, they are not smart nor willing to spend those money).

I wasn't speaking for others. I was speaking for my needs.

No, because serial IPC matters. Llano was about half of SB there.

IPC does not matter anything, total performance (clock speed*ipc) matters.

And no, it was 60-90% of the single-thread performance of SB which had 6% higher clock speed, usually like 70%.

So this means it's serial IPC is about 65-94% if SB's IPC, usually around 75%.

Even if AMD lives up to it's 10% improvement in Piledriver promise, IB will wipe out that difference. AMD needs to gain on Intel's IPC to matter, even though their GPUs are awesome.

You are now messing bulldozer and llano; Llano is K10, that 10% projected ipc increase is over bulldozer.

So, what is realistic to except:

* About similar IPC than Llano (bulldozer had slightly worse average ipc than K10)
* Much higher clock speeds , on desktop from 3 GHz to 4.2/3.8 GHz.

So, compared to llano, on desktop trinity gives about 40% increase in serial performance, 25% increase in 2-thread performance but almost no increase in 4-thread performance(with 4 cores active shared L1I, L2, decode, fpu eat ipc).

On mobile side the clock rate difference between llano and trinity might be smaller, but still considerable.

Ivy bridge will still be much faster, but AMD is narrowing the gap in single-thread performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, compared to llano, on desktop trinity gives about 40% increase in serial performance, 25% increase in 2-thread performance but almost no increase in 4-thread performance(with 4 cores active shared L1I, L2, decode, fpu eat ipc).
Sources? :rolleyes:

40% single thread might be a bit optimistic but it'll be 20% on clocks alone. 4.2 GHz / 3.0 Ghz * 0.85 = 1.19 on clock speed improvement over Llano.

If you assume only 5% IPC gain from BD to Piledriver (removing the L3 would still be in line with Stars > Llano) we should expect a minimum of 25-26% improvement in single threads.

I wasn't speaking for others. I was speaking for my needs.

I suspected as much. That's why I only replied to your second post on the matter, not the first. However, thet way you said it did not really implied that your were speaking for yourself. Rather, it sounded like stating something general (at least for me it sounded that way).

Ivy bridge will still be much faster, but AMD is narrowing the gap in single-thread performance.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Actually, the AMD material on the matter has been worryingly vague. They promise that 10-15 % of yearly performance increase for each new core. But nowhere is it clearly stated that those improvements refer to IPC alone or they do factor in the clock increase.

Back