Treo 650 or SX66 PocketPC?

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
I'm so torn!
The Treo is just better engineering from the outside but the Siemens SX66 has wi-fi and pocketpc 2003....

So tought to choose!

Mize, do you work for Intel? I ask because my brother recently asked me the same question since he gets to choose between these for work.

Edit: If it were me I'd choose the Treo. You never mentioned what you'd like to use the phone for besides talking. Anticipated use will surely affect the decision.

3dcgi said:
Mize, do you work for Intel? I ask because my brother recently asked me the same question since he gets to choose between these for work.

Edit: If it were me I'd choose the Treo. You never mentioned what you'd like to use the phone for besides talking. Anticipated use will surely affect the decision.

No. I work for a small subsidiary of a large engineering conglomerate. Most of the parent and other companies are going blackberry, but I find them somewhat limitting and expensive. The way our security is set up makes the Treo a tough one. I'd only be able to get to email via an html interface or some yet-to-be-determined sych software.

The PPC route has a client for our VPN (SecureClient) though I hear it can be flakey.

Anyway, main use is email, calendar, a bit of word/excel and web browsing.

Mize said:
RussSchultz said:
The Dell Axim50v has vga. And bluetooth. And wifi.

Yes, but no GSM/GPRS/EDGE (I'm looking at phone units for "always on" email).
Ah. You might be able to get a compact flash EDGE card for it.

But you're right: if you're looking for a phone/pda, this isn't it.

Mize said:
No. I work for a small subsidiary of a large engineering conglomerate. Most of the parent and other companies are going blackberry, but I find them somewhat limitting and expensive. The way our security is set up makes the Treo a tough one. I'd only be able to get to email via an html interface or some yet-to-be-determined sych software.

The PPC route has a client for our VPN (SecureClient) though I hear it can be flakey.

Anyway, main use is email, calendar, a bit of word/excel and web browsing.
HTML interface only does knock the Treo down a bit. Sounds like you're leaning to the PPC.

3dcgi said:
HTML interface only does knock the Treo down a bit. Sounds like you're leaning to the PPC.

There is a PalmOS VPN client that is supposed to work with the CheckPoint VPN-1 firewall. It's called movianVPN, but I don't know if it supports the Treo 650. I also am having a hard time getting our IT folks to send me all our crypt settings to I can try it out next week...

THAT would be nice.

Forget Siemens. Review here.

PocketPC is nice features-wise, but the power management/battery life generally sucks _badly_. I'd choose a Palm gadget over that anytime if you're about to use it for any serious work. If you're looking for a (more or less) multimadia capable toy with awful battery life but with lots of windows stuff, go for PocketPC.

Back