Transformers: PS3 & Xbox 360

I'm such a sucka for Tranformers. I the movie has already got me, and I suspect this game will as well!

Did Takara even glance sideways at it? If so, I fear it may already be compromised... :p

Takara actually does half the work on most TF series'. Hasbro typically sends them the concept drawings, and Takara does the actual engineering. The Classics series is probably the high point of this. AFAIK, however, Takara has not touched the stuff related to the new movie aside from making a few japanese only toys and releasing the movie toys over there.

I just hope the PS2 version of this game is good... Can't afford one of the new systems. :(

Takara actually does half the work on most TF series'. Hasbro typically sends them the concept drawings, and Takara does the actual engineering. The Classics series is probably the high point of this. AFAIK, however, Takara has not touched the stuff related to the new movie aside from making a few japanese only toys and releasing the movie toys over there.
I was just referring to the games, here. Some Transformer games, you see, were good. Others...? Not so good.

*bump*

Figured most know already, but on Xbox Live there are 4 new Transformers The Game HD videos available for download. One is the opening cinematic. The other 3 are interviews with Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox and the game developers. Not bad. I liked the opening cinematic the most. Can't wait for the movie and the game. Bad thing is $50-60 for the game is a little steep for me right now. Unless my wife's yard sale picks up today. LOL

Tommy McClain

Big Robots Fighting + Lots of Explosions + Michael Bay & Steven Spielberg == Recipe for Potential Goodness.

But, all of the above, PLUS Peter Cullen the original voice of Optimus Prime saying "Roll Out!" plus the original transformers sound effects when the autobots transform?!? Recipe for AWESOMENESS.

Plot is irrelevent. Acting is irrevelent.

It's all about bots and explosions.

This is a reenactment of my childhood dreams by Bay and Spielberg. :
)

Big Robots Fighting + Lots of Explosions + Michael Bay & Steven Spielberg == Recipe for Potential Goodness.

But, all of the above, PLUS Peter Cullen the original voice of Optimus Prime saying "Roll Out!" plus the original transformers sound effects when the autobots transform?!? Recipe for AWESOMENESS.

Plot is irrelevent. Acting is irrevelent.

It's all about bots and explosions.

This is a reenactment of my childhood dreams by Bay and Spielberg. :
)
But they literally fucked up the cool designs :cry:

What happened to Starscream? Megatron?

Megatron?

Wouldn't it just be awesome if Megatron transformed into a giant pistol with a scope and then fell on the ground ? The US forces could claim victory.

:D

I agree though, the designs make me shudder. They're just ugly looking things, like taking the skin off of a human and seeing all the veins, arteries, muscles, joints...

Wouldn't it just be awesome if Megatron transformed into a giant pistol with a scope and then fell on the ground ? The US forces could claim victory.

:D

I agree though, the designs make me shudder. They're just ugly looking things, like taking the skin off of a human and seeing all the veins, arteries, muscles, joints...

They could have atleast made him look better in robot form. Something similar to what we knew. They could have chosen for his earthly transformation a state of the art tank kept as a secret project or something that the shuttle computer (or his?) used to model him. That way they could have kept his similar looks and his huge gun on his arm.

Its ironic that the director said that he wanted to make the G1 fans happy and so he went through lots of work for the designs. And we got these??

There is no relation between G1 and movie designs!

Imagine what we would have gotten if he didnt care about the fans:cry:

I don't think think the old designs would work well on the big screen as live action, they're way to 'blocky'. I agree with Bay here. Are the G1 designs good for toys? Yes, I like the G1 toys better (especially since they were die cast). But they'd look less realistic fighting and punching on the big screen.

The new designs are too "busy" for toys, too many parts and shit, but the reality is, as a realistic robot, they look better IMHO with all those pistons, beams, and other parts.

I bet the complaints from G1 fans over the designs will subside after the movie.

(or maybe not. I also think Frank's Megatron voice would sound too jar-jar-jarring on the big screen. It's cartoonish, but Peter's Optimus voice works even in live action. )

Go look on YouTube at some old G1 clips and play the audio over the new trailer and see if you think it works. Nostalgia sometimes causes irrational desires. :)

I don't think think the old designs would work well on the big screen as live action, they're way to 'blocky'. I agree with Bay here. Are the G1 designs good for toys? Yes, I like the G1 toys better (especially since they were die cast). But they'd look less realistic fighting and punching on the big screen.

The new designs are too "busy" for toys, too many parts and shit, but the reality is, as a realistic robot, they look better IMHO with all those pistons, beams, and other parts.

I bet the complaints from G1 fans over the designs will subside after the movie.

(or maybe not. I also think Frank's Megatron voice would sound too jar-jar-jarring on the big screen. It's cartoonish, but Peter's Optimus voice works even in live action. )

Go look on YouTube at some old G1 clips and play the audio over the new trailer and see if you think it works. Nostalgia sometimes causes irrational desires. :)

I'm going to have to agree with Demo here. G1 robots would look unrealistic and hokey on the big screen in a realistic setting. Bay and company pratically had to become engineers to make these vehicles actually transform into a real looking robots. If Optimus would have been a flat nose diesel he would have been too small. Same things goes with Bumblebee being a VW Beetle. As for Megatron I think it was explained that he didn't think he should have to belittle himself by becoming a worthless human machine. It was beneath him to do so. I also hear that Hugo Weaving's take on the voice in the movie is fitting his look. Supposedly you can't tell it's Hugo at all.

Anyway, from all the reviews so far, it's looking like the reviews are excellent. I'm sure once the G1 fans see the movie they'll enjoy it nonetheless. Can't wait myself for the game and the movie. BTW, didn't know you could unlock the G1 robots in the game that will be cool.

Tommy McClain

I want this game but sadly after the whole SpiderMan 3 CE for the PS3 fiasco. Not only was the game just beyond horrible the extra content with the Goblin was ridiculously tacked on.

This will defiantly be a rental. I have 7~8 more free game rentals from Blockbuster anyway.

But nobody implied the same exact G1 models we saw in the cartoon series. And I wasnt expecting them to look the same either. I was ready for many improvements and alterations for the live action movie because it is common sense they wouldnt fit as they were for the movie, but at the same time I was expecting some "commonalities". Thats why I was so excited about the movie. I was eager to see the mature, realistic and improved versions of these since the cartoon series is too old, made for kids and "awkwardly" drawn by hand. I always wanted to see how they would have looked under proper care in a realistic environments. But instead of seeing improved, realistic, mature versions of these, we got completely different robots with the same names.

And they are god damn ugly too. And the ugliness I see is not a result of my nostalgia either.

They could have maintained many main characteristics and still make the robots look good enough for a live action movie.

For example Optimus Prime atleast resembles the original G1 model, well and fits perfectly for the movie at the same time. He has the colors, he has a similar head design and he has the truck's front glasses on his chest. Is there a huge difference between the cartoon and the movie? Ofcourse, Does he still look like Optimus? Yep. And looks good too.

Same path could have been followed with the other robots as well.

(btw about the voice. I will remind you Transformers: the Movie ;). Some of the best voice acting ever done for an animated movie. Very mature. The series was a different story though)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now try your though experiment with G1 Bumblebee, Ratchet, or Ironhide. Comeon, big round clonking parts of the VW hood for feet? Or Rachet and Ironhide having big blocky front section of vehicle + bumper for "chest"?

Optimus worked as a G1 model because of his flat body semi front becoming his chest and the back part of the semi becoming his legs and feet. The rest of the G1 designs would look very very silly on the big screen.

The 'ultra real' Bayformers are about the closest youd get to what a real working xformer would look like, and that's no mistake, because ILM designed a computer program to calculate the designs and transformation sequences starting with CAD designs of the cars themselves (courtesy of GM)

Would you want a 30ft megatron to become a P38 pistol? Or a 30 ft soundwave to transform down to a boombox (also, a silly anachronism) Today's audiences, especially as adults, would be a little more sophisticated.

Now try your though experiment with G1 Bumblebee, Ratchet, or Ironhide. Comeon, big round clonking parts of the VW hood for feet? Or Rachet and Ironhide having big blocky front section of vehicle + bumper for "chest"?

Optimus worked as a G1 model because of his flat body semi front becoming his chest and the back part of the semi becoming his legs and feet. The rest of the G1 designs would look very very silly on the big screen.

The 'ultra real' Bayformers are about the closest youd get to what a real working xformer would look like, and that's no mistake, because ILM designed a computer program to calculate the designs and transformation sequences starting with CAD designs of the cars themselves (courtesy of GM)

Would you want a 30ft megatron to become a P38 pistol? Or a 30 ft soundwave to transform down to a boombox (also, a silly anachronism) Today's audiences, especially as adults, would be a little more sophisticated.
You are describing these models just as they were in the cartoon series which is not what I was expecting to see anyways in the movie.

the "ultra real" bayformeres are nothing more than Bay's "formers". Not transformers.

They could have made them much much better and still resemble the original without Bubblebee, Ironhide and the likes looking blocky and having semi flat fronts and round clocking parts, and with a Megatron and Starscream that dont look like a pile mess of scrub metal.

Also be careful when you read my posts or at least read them because you repeat things that I have already addressed. I agree with some of you are points but you maybe formed a false impression about my expectations most likely because you wrongly assume that I am extremely nostalgic to a degree that I wanted to see the exact same transformations and designs as the cartoon series.

For example you are referring to Megatron's cartoon transformation (and others'). Why? Why did you come up to that conclusion when I stated nothing about his original transformation? On the contrary I suggested an imaginative alternative transformation on a non-existing vehicle, like a non-existing state of the art tank. This gives lots of freedom. It could have any shape, the director can give it blazing speed if he wants to, he can add bi-pedal semi-transformations if he wants too (macross comes to mind), or even make it fly etc etc.

As for Optimus he was just as blocky if not more than the other robots in the cartoon series. In the movie he is the complete opposite of "blockiness". And I have similar designs in my mind for the other robots as well. And they involve no more "blockiness", "flat fronts", "semi clocking parts" you are imaginining when you are trying to put yourself in my shoes. The approach taken with Optimus can can work for all of them

Bay went for this designs because he wants to make HIS movie. Not a transformers movie. Optimus is the only robot that reminds of the G1 transformers because he is a trademark of the TF universe and he was left with no choice than to make him look similar, otherwise he would have eaten a pile of tomatoes by fans. Its not because he "couldnt" make the others better, and only Optimus could

Last edited by a moderator:
Back