"Transcript of chat with ATi's Rick Bergman"

Why bother listing the Rage3D thread when all it links you to is the warp2search link anyway? ;)

An ok read, but too many uninteresting questions and too much marketing fluff for my tastes.

Most of the questions were your typical consumer-type questions, but a few stood out:

bweier

With the successful migration to .13 micron silicon and now low k .13 silicon, what will be the next transition for ATI cores besides PCI Express?

rick bergman

The next process node in the semiconductor industry is 90nm (.09 micron). We are actively working with our fab partners on this technology and expect to have solutions in this technology in the latter part of 2004.

bweier

There is a marked difference between the PR philosophy of NVIDIA and ATI. Would you like to comment on the perception that ATI lacks the aggressiveness and effectiveness of the NVIDIA marketing/PR team?

rick bergman

I believe that ATI has a great marketing and PR team. As stated earlier, we will focus on the positive attributes of our products and features that are important to our customers. While you can gain momentary advantage with "aggressive" tactics, I am interested in building long term credibility in our brand and products. Ultimately, I believe that consumers see through "aggressive" tactics and go with the solid company --- I certainly see this scenario playing out this year. Our marketing research indicates that we have the preferred brand among consumers, and they are buying our solutions.

Latter part of 2004 sounds like an important distinction :) RV450 anybody? :)

What?! 0.09u in H2 2004?! :oops:
NVIDIA is soooo dead! :eek:

Although I suspect that'd only be for the mid-end solution, but still... NVIDIA will still be on 0.11u by then...

Uttar

I would've thoguht that ati would've gone with .11 for the nv450 after their stance on sticking with .15 on the r300. it is the value line, indeed, but i was not expecting them to switch to the less mature process so soon.

rashly said:
I would've thoguht that ati would've gone with .11 for the nv450 after their stance on sticking with .15 on the r300.

NV450? :oops:

Do you know something about an impending ATi-nVidia merger you aren't telling us? ;)

Was not Bergman talking sometime ago about pushing hard to 0.11 too ?

Let say R420 R423 on 0.13 and the mainstream cards on 0.11 ?

Hanners said:
rashly said:
I would've thoguht that ati would've gone with .11 for the nv450 after their stance on sticking with .15 on the r300.

Do you know something about an impending ATi-nVidia merger you aren't telling us? ;)
Yup. It's just the old M$ theory of "if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em!".

Isn't nVidia made of money? ;)

Hanners said:
rashly said:

hahaha. of course i meant rv450, but it sure is funny though now that i look at it. ;)

dont type while tired.

Back