Trailer of Star Wars: The Clone Wars CGI series

Looks like the cartoon episodes...but in 3D. I hate Yoda's look. I suppose we couldn't expect Blizzard quality CG for TV let alone time. :p

edit: I think they should have done a different era altogether. It's partly what makes KotOR good from a story-telling standpoint IMO. It's just... so far removed from the movies and tells a very different story that doesn't directly tie-in.

There would be a lot of potential to show the origin story for the Sith that's only been described in text thus far. And if they kept continuity, there'd be a fair bit of drama too regarding the fall of the original Jedi...

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell? This a TV series? I never heard of it. The character design is barf-tastic, but the CGI is above Beast Wars quality. The animation looks a bit stiff with the human fight scenes too. Yoda is butt ugly!

I like it :) for being a tv show overall rendering/animation quality is really good.
No doubt is going to improve over time as well..

Can't say I like it, the render quality isn't bad but the design is just horrible. I'm not really a fan of Star Wars but I just don't see its tone and themes going at all with that artistic style.

Hopefully it's entertaining enough. I've been wanting another good CGI show after Reboot, Beast Wars, and Roughnecks.

No doubt is going to improve over time as well..
That's not a work in progess real time renderer! :p

Now, about the artstyle, it seems to follow closely the Clone Wars cartoon Network mini series style, but in a 3D form, obviously.
Can't say I'm particularly fond of the artstyle, but I won't deny that it holds itself together and that it is well executed. I, for one, prefer a well done and distinctive style, even one that I dislike, over a generic or not mastered style that I consider okay/non-offensive.

On the first Clone Wars animated mini series, while I'm far from being a Star Wars fan I kind of appreciated it. I wouldn't watch the repeated and numerous re-air of the episodes, but I thought the mini series well expanded the story between the EP2 and the EP3.

So this is the Star Wars TV series that Lucas talked about? I got the impression it was going to be live action. I am disappointed if this is it. :(

For real?
Lucas talked about two distinct series when he first disclosed the CGI 'Clone Wars' project back in 2005, one of which was live action. Other than unsubstantiated fan based rumors, I don't believe there have been any concrete information since.
However, he has since made recent comments regarding two made-for-TV movies, which may or may not be remnants of a series project since scaled back...
And here's a little news: Lucas tells me he will make two more live-action films based in the "Star Wars" era.

"But they won't have members of the Skywalker family as characters," he said. "They will be other people of that milieu."

The two extra films will also be made for TV and probably be an hour long each. But, like "Clone Wars," Lucas doesn't know where on TV they will land.

I hope he steps away sooner, than later.

And never directs, or does the screen play for a single one of them.

Hmm, I've never seen a CGI series noticeably improve in CG quality over its run. Reboot's 4th season was a jump in quality but there was a three year gap from the 3rd season. And the 4th season was two made for TV movies in an attempt to restart the series(sadly it was unsuccessful Reboot ended in a cliffhanger).

Roughnecks actually had a degrade in quality. In the last episodes they started doing still background renders to save rendering time. The backgrounds were not as dynamic as a result.

The special effects of ST:TNG improved considerably over its run. So did Babylon5, if I remember correctly.

Back