Top 3 most intelligent people of all time

Xmas said:
Additionally, though intelligence is a wide field, we often equate logical, "scientific" thinking with it. Males have an evolutionary advantage in that area, but are lacking in others.

I'm pretty sure none of the three most intelligent people of all time made it to some kind of fame :D

In fact, we can see that most nominees in this thread are scientists of some sort. Einstein, for instance, although a genius in physics and also a very sensible man, wouldn't have been exactly the smartest guy you could have come across in everyday life. In fact, I'm pretty sure most people (here as well) would have categorized him as "slow-witted" if they'd dealt with him in some common situations (you know, driving down the lane, at the market, walking down the street, sipping something in a pub/bar etc etc).
Not necessarily a genius of some sort is a brilliant, intelligent guy all around...

Simon F said:
That's 4 ... guess that automatically rules out any chance of epic being nominated....
I narrowed it down to 4 from about 12. It wasnt easy to just pick 3, so i left the 4. Between the 4 who would you have knocked out? /grin

epic

geo said:
Jesus was extraordinarily intelligent? A very nice Jewish boy, and a hell of a story teller. . .great compassionate soul. Sure. But extraordinarily intelligent? On what evidence?

Unless you mean Jesus Gonsalez. . . :smile:

Uh...duh...part of the trinity of god who is all-knowing implies he knows EVERYTHING and has unlimited intelligence...doesn't it? ;)

To add to my post above: Tesla gave us AC-current and enabled the world to develop much faster thanks to broad use of electricity. Zuse invented the first computer as we know it. Otto made cars possible.

The contribution of people like Einstein to our civilization are more of theoretical nature, thus to be valued lower IMHO.

_xxx_ said:
To add to my post above: Tesla gave us AC-current and enabled the world to develop much faster thanks to broad use of electricity. Zuse invented the first computer as we know it. Otto made cars possible.

The contribution of people like Einstein to our civilization are more of theoretical nature, thus to be valued lower IMHO.

Shouldnt it be the other way around? strategic should always trump operational.

_xxx_ said:

The problem i see is that some people are just at the right time in history to get the credit. If person x hadnt done y by time t someone else would have soon enough.

epic

Crisidelm said:
It depends on the concept of "intelligent" one has, really.
I could say:
Pico della Mirandola
Ipazia
Blaise Pascal

Intresting that you picked Pico della Mirandola. A professor I had is developing a evolutionary model on religous and philosophical thought, likes to refer to Pico a lot. After attending many lectures from Steve Farmer, I gained a lot of respect for Pico. Definatley an amazing human being and fascinating historical figure.

http://www.safarmer.com/pico/

blakjedi said:
Shouldnt it be the other way around? strategic should always trump operational.

In my opinion It should be as equal as possible.

and for some reason...I feel that Friedrich Nietzsche should be on this list....I've read his books but after watching a PBS hour long special on the existence of GOD and singularity (all that good stuff)...i've grown to have more respect for him as a writer and a thinker.

I wish there were criteria for this thread but...

1. the person who first harnessed fire.
2. the person who invented the wheel.
3. The first shaman/priest to organize a religion

with names now!:p

1. Imhotep - the worlds first known multi-genius
2. Da Vinci
3. Einstein/Newton/Tesla

BlueTsunami said:
In my opinion It should be as equal as possible.

and for some reason...I feel that Friedrich Nietzsche should be on this list....I've read his books but after watching a PBS hour long special on the existence of GOD and singularity (all that good stuff)...i've grown to have more respect for him as a writer and a thinker.
Id say philosophy scores low on both the practical level and the strategic one ;) (Also I think eternal recurrence was a bit of a cop out.)

geo said:
Jesus was extraordinarily intelligent? A very nice Jewish boy, and a hell of a story teller. . .great compassionate soul. Sure. But extraordinarily intelligent? On what evidence?

Unless you mean Jesus Gonsalez. . . :smile:

No Jesus the guy who created you and everything you have and holds it together by the force of His will. that Jesus.

What proof? 2,000 years before there were prophecies about him and 2,000 years later we are still talking aobut him.

Back