Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider is so good and I felt so shamefull for having the game for "free" with PS+ that I decided to buy a copy of the game to support the devs. A retail copy, good for my collection too.

PS+ is ridiculous.

You think the devs don't get anything out of a game being free on PS+? Sony aren't stealing the game and giving it away for free... Otherwise no one would give them the rights.

played a bit and this game looks really good. only complaint is the difference in treatment between the new lara and other characters, side by side they don't look great compared to her. the asian girl's hair looks terrible !

played a bit and this game looks really good. only complaint is the difference in treatment between the new lara and other characters, side by side they don't look great compared to her. the asian girl's hair looks terrible !
No end to be bitchy. Her boat got wrecked and she's stranded on a island with no Vidal Sassoon outlets.

Playing this now. I don't like the storyline so far... The graphics are simply nice but I don't see them as Ryse or ISS quality.

How far have you progresed?

Not far honestly... just got to the first firefight after killing the eastern european guy with the gun. hopefully it gets better. I like the treasure hunting and puzzle aspects of TR... this fighting and killing feels a little out of place/character.

I got this game in the PSN sale. I'm really enjoying it, I can't decide whether I prefer this game's near 60fps, or ISS's near 30fps with higher details. Either way, both have inspired a bit of a gaming resurgence in my house - can't stop playing them both.

I did notice that Lara’s hair is self-shadowing in the cutscenes and the main game, only that the quality of the shadowing in cutscenes is much, much greater. The skin shaders are absolutely incredible. When Lara pops her head out of the ‘water’, my mind was blown by the IQ. Nixxes have done a splendid job with this on the PS4.

Edit: Ta DieH@rd for the correction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have played it a bit but within the first few minutes I was disappointed with her gravity defying hair.

Had a similar problem with infamous to when his leg went through a trolley. I thought next gen would resolve such issues.

Have played it a bit but within the first few minutes I was disappointed with her gravity defying hair.

Had a similar problem with infamous to when his leg went through a trolley. I thought next gen would resolve such issues.

As our resident B3D all-knowing God said, collision detection on things like hair and cloth is a bloody nightmare.
But yes, legs going through things is a bit disheartening to see even today.

Having said that, I also found Lara's hair completely bizarre. It follows zero physical laws. It's not even pretending to.

It was when she was hanging up side down that was the problem, I think it was even a cut scene so there's no excuse.

It was when she was hanging up side down that was the problem, I think it was even a cut scene so there's no excuse.

Yes that's also when I thought WTF?? Or any of the cutscenes where she's on the floor being a drama queen (i.e. all of them). Hair just stays floating in the air.

Great game though :devilish:

I got this game in the PSN sale. I'm really enjoying it, I can't decide whether I prefer this game's near 60fps, or ISS's near 30fps with higher details. Either way, both have inspired a bit of a gaming resurgence in my house - can't stop playing them both.

I did notice that Lara’s hair is self-shadowing in the cutscenes and the main game, only that the quality of the shadowing in cutscenes is much, much greater. The skin shaders are absolutely incredible. When Lara pops her head out of the ‘water’, my mind was blown by the IQ. UFG have done a splendid job with this on the PS4.

PS4 version of TR was created by Nixxes and Xbone version was done by UFG.

I picked up on that too, it does look odd. I also thought it strange that her face and clothes are covered in blood, mud and all kinds of grime, but her hair always looks perfectly conditioned.

TRESemmé?

(sorry, couldn't resist - maybe that's the real reason behind the miraculous hair)

Best hair moment is when you take the cable car from the shanty town to the beach later in the game. It's like an electrostatic explosion.
All in all TressFX seems more like an unfinished tech demo rather than a feature ready for primetime. I'd take a traditional and well sculped "hair helmet" over that kind of performance sapping nonsense any day of the week. Just look how good Ellie in TLoU or Jodie from Beyond look. Not only does that kind of hair look way more convincing on its own, it also doesn't clash artistically with the hair on everyone else's noggin. It's the very definition of a pointless bullet point.

Like most features primarily designed to sell enthusiast level graphics cards, it simply calls way too much attention onto itself. It's a similar thing with Nvidia PhysX. Kinda funny how in ACIV, your puny flint lock pistol suddenly creates a plume of smoke similar in size to that of your ship's boradside cannons.

Back