Tomb Raider

KH talk should probably go somewhere else :)

As far as crafting on TR, I found it pretty easy and I definitely upgraded my weapons way before the end. Maybe I explored more than others.

Yah, I have no issue with the way Tomb Raider does upgrades. It's pretty easy. You get a ton of salvage on the way. The upgrade tree for Lara is pretty decent. For the sequel I'd like to see slighty bigger areas, but I don't necessarily want or need an open world. More puzzles and more difficult puzzles would be great. They could also do with more platforming, and more difficult platforming. Maybe some traps and things like that to avoid. Overall, the game is great.

As far as crafting on TR, I found it pretty easy and I definitely upgraded my weapons way before the end. Maybe I explored more than others.

There was plenty of scrap around and picking up the extra scrap perk early on also helped. I never felt stuck at any point because my weapons was limited and I used the bow a ton. It was very satisfying to you. But I loved the bows in Elder Scrolls games and The Last of Us too :)

There was plenty of scrap around and picking up the extra scrap perk early on also helped. I never felt stuck at any point because my weapons was limited and I used the bow a ton. It was very satisfying to you. But I loved the bows in Elder Scrolls games and The Last of Us too :)

Same. For whatever reason I stick with the bow a lot. Late game I've used the shotgun a bit if I miss my shots and enemies get close. Mostly when I've used the pistol and rifle, it's just because I felt like using them for a change of pace, not necessarily because they're more useful. I keep forgetting my rifle has a grenade launcher, so I've never actually killed an enemy with it, even though I have upgraded the grenades :(

You guys make me want to fire it up to see where I left off. Pretty sure I had pretty much upgraded everything and was just going after the last few hard collectables.

I think the fact that upgrade materials are so abundant and you find them absolutely everywhere is what makes the crafting and upgrading system so pointless. It's just a stupid bullet point which forces you out of the game and into the immersion-breaking pause menu (not that the game gives a damn about immersion in the first place mind you. What with all its constant barrage of xp pop-ups and treasure notifications). It's not like I ever have to pick and choose like in RE4 or Dead Space. Eventually the game'll hand me all the upgrades anyway. I think the final character upgrades really highlight this stuff-for-the-sake-of-more-stuff design philosophy beautifully: A bunch of extra execution animations with zero impact on gameplay.
Doesn't anyone here remember the times when discovering properly hidden goodies was actually exciting because they were worthwhile? Like a new weapon for example? Now you pick up scraps every five feet in TR or gobble up the food you find in trash bins in Bioshock. It's really nothing more than time-consuming busywork.

I don't mind if they remove the crafting. I admit that I played it on easy, but that because I want to concentrate more on the puzzles instead of the fighting. Unfortunately, the puzzles aren't that much. It is still a great action game, but I'm expecting something else. Definitely will play the sequel.

Finally had a chance to finish it. Maybe went a little long at the end, maybe a little too much shooting. Still, very good game. I don't really have much that's bad to say about it.

Finally had a chance to finish it. Maybe went a little long at the end, maybe a little too much shooting. Still, very good game. I don't really have much that's bad to say about it.
In one of the final stages of the game, when you get to some sort of old ship construction or graveyard (can't remember exactly), the scale of the level was insane.

Can someone explain why subsurface scattering was not added to the 360 version? As far as I know Xenos is capable of it.

You can pretty much do any effect on a programmable chip...
Doing it at acceptable performance in a game is a different matter entirely.

It probably didn't fit in their frame time budget.

Pretty sure SSS was added to Lara's new model for the definitive edition, and this included the feature.
The original versions didn't have it. Lara looks quite a bit different in the remake.

Back