Tomb Raider

Well at least the good news is that the machines are so similar in design that they can build next versions of games to ps4 spec and just drop resolution or frame rate for the xb1 version. Or in other words it doesn't seem like one box should be holding back the other this gen since they support similar software techniques without any coding voodoo.
Yeah it's always nice to make dev's life easier so that we can get quality games faster. I'm pretty sure both have plenty of headroom left with better optimization and drivers etc.

I don't know where people get this idea from. A 60hz locked games is a 60hz locked game full stop. I've got plenty of games I can lock at 60fps on the PC with no drops below and it's a perfect arcade level experience. No pauses, no judder, nothing. You're probably just getting confused with 60 to 30fps frame drops with vsync on.

Maybe it's just me, but Far Cry 3 doesnt feel as smooth as Tomb Raider (both vsync locked to 60fps)

Maybe it's just me, but Far Cry 3 doesnt feel as smooth as Tomb Raider (both vsync locked to 60fps)

Hmm, all my games feel similar smoothness at 60fps. I finished Tomb Raider some time ago but just finished Far Cry 3 last night and finished Bioshock Infinite the night before. All of those games seemed to have the same feel and smoothness at 60fps, can't say I noticed any difference. I only play with 360 gamepad (never use mouse + keyboard) so maybe that's whats accounting for them not feeling the same to you?

Um, not really. Original skin shader looks like a game from the Doom3 age, dry, lifeless and unnatural. The DE version looks exactly the opposite of that.
I bet you would be all over the DE's sss and other features once they patch it up the PC version.

What other features? Moving tree's is the only noticeable thing.

I'm happy keeping tessellation, POM, higher SSAO, higher FXAA quality, higher texture detail over some wavy tree's and skin you can't see 100% of the time...

I'm happy keeping tessellation, POM, higher SSAO, higher FXAA quality, higher texture detail over some wavy tree's and skin you can't see 100% of the time...

I am sorry I am not following this conversation, but why are you worrying about this console version so much? I mean, u already have an IQ un-achievable on the consoles :D ! No DE can match the smoothness of ur image or the great AO in ur shots. Be happy , man !

BTW, Gamersyde has screens, some look average and last gen, some look better. PS4 version here:

image_tomb_raider_definitive_edition-24087-2857_0016.jpg

image_tomb_raider_definitive_edition-24087-2857_0030.jpg

image_tomb_raider_definitive_edition-24087-2857_0036.jpg

I think this image defines the game: Crumbling platforms/ground everywhere:
image_tomb_raider_definitive_edition-24087-2857_0039.jpg

and good to read that PS4 version is above 50fps most of the time. I will get to it one day.

I see no POM here on the ground:
image_tomb_raider_definitive_edition-24087-2857_0024.jpg

who was in charge of these horrible horrible subtitles?

apparently, THe Witcher 3 trailers also seem to lack POM, or I couldn't see it. THeir surfaces also seem very flat.

Other features including denser foliage, more moving grass, better lighting especially for fire, more particles and possible upgrades for NPCs. But I find it hilarious that you can't notice all these yet you can spot a slightly rounder shoulder and "very arguable" higher res textures during gameplay.
I understand if you prefer specific type of features in PC version but why not also give credit to where it's due for DE?

Other features including denser foliage, more moving grass, better lighting especially for fire, more particles and possible upgrades for NPCs. But I find it hilarious that you can't notice all these yet you can spot a slightly rounder shoulder and "very arguable" higher res textures during gameplay.
I understand if you prefer specific type of features in PC version but why not also give credit to where it's due for DE?

The PC version could have had all those, i think that is the issue really.

From what i saw in the PC version it looks very very PC, clean, technically perfect The things they added to the Console editions seems to be all that adds to the atmosphere of a game like this. And it's a good trade off, focus on what we can achieve and add real value to the game instead of hunting the last bit of texture res, polygon count etc that wont be noticed by anyone except the tech warriors and beyond3d members :)

The DF PC vs Console should be interesting, a game that is more beautiful vs a technical superior counterpart.

PC on Ultra + FXAA

2014-01-26_0000978knq.jpg

PS4

amarectv2014-01-2511-3sa62.png

I know which one looks better to my eyes.... And it's not the bottom one either..

The DE version looks a lot better. Lara's skin is looking a lot more realistic. Her skin in the PC version looks matt, almost like she's been in a morgue for a few days.

Why does the game lack Tessellation ? I thought consoles can handle that!
I am also disappointed that dynamic shadowing didn't have the chance to return in full force in the DE. the only bit of the game where dynamic shadows is enabled is the road to climb the mountain. Lara's torch cast the correct shadows on the objects around it. that was in the PC version. from the footage I saw the DE version still lacks these shadows.

That pic makes the new skin look much better, although the poly count is kinda low.

Looks great but also looks like a cut scene model. The cutscene models where more detailed in the original if I recall correctly so may not be a fair comparison. I'm in work atm plus it's difficult to access the cutscenes ad-hoc after you've fnished the story so It's tough for me to try and post an equivilent shot right now.

Possibly down to a difference in motion blur implementation or just the sheer amount of details panning across the screen when you move.

Obviously a locked 60fps is still delivering each frame to your screen in exactly the same way in each game.

Both versions were ported by different devs, so could be different implementations/optimisations/cutbacks.

I am happy I got a ps4 this gen. I was ready for a change after ps2 and 3 before MS announced its watercooler and killed all my interest.

I caved in pre ordered the PS4 version even though I didn't really like the game all that much as a TR and Lara Croft fan.

Back