Tomb Raider

I just hope TressFX looks more convincing this time around. It was a nice proof on concept on the PC version, but that was just about it. Looked completely out of place whenever someone with regular hair was in the same scene, and unlike the more traditional hair, it also didn't get dirty or wet. Didn't clump together like real strands of hair would either. In a nutshell it looked just as fake as the nuts-and-bolts hair. It just stuck out way more

I'd strongly disagree with that. I thought the effect looks pretty awesome and while obviously not perfect, added a a great deal to the image overall despite the large performance hit. I certainly played the whole game with it on without thinking twice. But hey, that's just my opinion.

i beat the game yesterday, it was so sick, best game ive played in a long time! the combat is just amazing, im surprised more people havent commented on that part. lara croft makes batman in the aa games look like a friggin pussy. i wish you could unlock the finishing moves earlier in the game, thats my only complaint, but damn those ninjas felt the wrath of a woman scorned alright.

W1bDdh6.png

Confirmed to run at 1080p on the Xbox One.

I was so tempted to buy this game on the Xbox 360... and finally I am glad I didn't.

Tomb Raider was one of my first PC games ever in my teenage years and on the Xbox 360 my last Lara Croft game was Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

I wonder how the Xbox One will cope with the game running at 1080p and TressFX on.

i beat the game yesterday, it was so sick, best game ive played in a long time! the combat is just amazing, im surprised more people havent commented on that part. lara croft makes batman in the aa games look like a friggin pussy. i wish you could unlock the finishing moves earlier in the game, thats my only complaint, but damn those ninjas felt the wrath of a woman scorned alright.

Is the combat just shooting ? I have never played a TR game before.

So this will end up being a first 'next-gen' Uncharted-like game? What I've seen of the game so far didn't really appeal to me to be honest, but from those that have played it I've heard pretty good things, including a colleague of mine who played it on a (heavy) PC who also has a PS3 that he played the Uncharted games on. So I'll definitely consider it for PS4 if the port is good.

So this will end up being a first 'next-gen' Uncharted-like game? What I've seen of the game so far didn't really appeal to me to be honest, but from those that have played it I've heard pretty good things, including a colleague of mine who played it on a (heavy) PC who also has a PS3 that he played the Uncharted games on. So I'll definitely consider it for PS4 if the port is good.
It might actually be fun for you -I think it even got better scores than Uncharted games-, I'd give it a try if I were you. Even the "slightly simpler" Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for the XBLA was so good.

On another note, it is easy to get away with those sorts of abbreviations or comparisons if you are used to Uncharted games, although I'd say Tomb Raider should end up being a first "next gen" Tomb Raider game. In any case, you might like the new TR game, so why not check it out.

If you liked the Uncharted games, the latest Tomb Raider is definately a game you should get then. It's very similar on so many levels - but is a bit less combat orientated and the focus is more on the adventure side, even though IMO, that could be a bit more. In fact, I think Uncharted is fun for a lot of the combat where as Tomb Raider more for the other things. The most important thing however is that the game-mechanics are very solid - as solid as what you get in the Uncharted games. It very rarely felt clumsy, even the jumping areas. The story surprisingly was quite good, even if the beginning was a bit over the top, but as the game and plot progressed, it was hard to put down.

Overall, Uncharted are still the better games - a bit more varied and you can tell that Naughty Dog are just showing off their developing skills when you get from one over-the-top scene to the next - but judging both by the more common gameplay parts, they are really not far apart. One of the big surprises of the PS3 games (and I'm actually - or was quite a bit Tomb Raider fan - but didn't really like them after the PSone days anymore - and this was the first I played that might actually be even better than the original ones).

Tomb Raider was one of my first PC games ever in my teenage years and on the Xbox 360 my last Lara Croft game was Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.
The original Tomb Raider brought me back to consoles. I walked into a GAME store and saw it running on the PlayStation. I walked out of the the store with a PS and Tomb Raider. Six hours later I was in GAME buying a memory card. Idiots :mad:

If you liked the Uncharted games, the latest Tomb Raider is definately a game you should get then. It's very similar on so many levels - but is a bit less combat orientated and the focus is more on the adventure side, even though IMO, that could be a bit more. In fact, I think Uncharted is fun for a lot of the combat where as Tomb Raider more for the other things.

I really liked the Tomb Raider reboot although it doesn't have much in common with Tomb Raider games of old - which is unavoidable if you remove the centrepiece tomb puzzles from the main game. I'd say it is more of a survival platformer but whatever it is, it works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick break down of the new TR vs the old classics.

1. Still retains the climbing aspects but split second timing is not as critical as in classic game
2. Puzzles are still there but just fewer of them. They're also easier since there is a hint system
3. Since it's a prequel you don't have guns at the beginning
4. Shooting is much better than old games. There's cover mechanics like Gears
5. Melee has been added with different finishing moves, also stealth kills
6. Health doesn't decrease like old games it's more like unlimited now
7. Lots of human enemies now
8. There's a MP vs mode included in the game
9. The story mode takes awhile to complete not a short game
10. Lots of QTEs during cinematic action sequences

Overall it's a really good evolution of the TR franchise

I agree - but one thing sticks out that i have always found a common misconception: that being that the classics required split second timings. They didnt. To pull of perfect jumps, all that was required was to proceed to a ledge, a small back jump/step and then you had the 'perfect distance' to do a long jump (that didnt require any perfect timing of pressing x to jump). Many didnt know that, but i'm fairly sure it was covered in the tutorial level. I also never critized the auto aim but thought it suited the game well, as it was more a jump/platformer/adventuring hybrid than a shooter.

Coming back to the new TR - i agree, it's a good evolution. I wish there was less combat and more adventuring though. Also more wilde animals, less humans would be nice. The combats were the least enjoyable part of the game IMHO.

I agree - but one thing sticks out that i have always found a common misconception: that being that the classics required split second timings. They didnt. To pull of perfect jumps, all that was required was to proceed to a ledge, a small back jump/step and then you had the 'perfect distance' to do a long jump (that didnt require any perfect timing of pressing x to jump). Many didnt know that, but i'm fairly sure it was covered in the tutorial level..

IIRC that technique only works for short distances for longer distances you need to do running jumps. It's been awhile since I've played the older games so my memory may not be correct.

Nope. The technique i described was the one for the long jump. The important point was to proceed to the ledge with the walking function (holding down L1 i think) so that she wouldnt fall.of. Then release it and press back for the back step/small jump and then you could start running towards the ledge and press x to make her jump in the perfect moment.

This was the standard technique for long 'perfect' jumps pretty much until after TR4. I think even when they added the sprinting mechanic, it didnt make her jump any farther and it was mainly used to get quicker away from enemies or indiana jones style traps, but never for coordinated jumps.

Also wonder how TressFX will run, and how much room there is for optimisation on PS4. This is probably an interesting feature for AMD to work on for the PS4 version, to get it accepted more commonly.

I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories, however with tressfx I presumed it wasn't all that optimized at the time partly to make NVidia look bad, and also to push people to buy Amd's more expensive cards. Now that it's on console I suspect they will actually take some time to optimize it.

I'd strongly disagree with that. I thought the effect looks pretty awesome and while obviously not perfect, added a a great deal to the image overall despite the large performance hit. I certainly played the whole game with it on without thinking twice. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Yeah I think it depends when you played it. I rarely ever play games at launch anymore, I usually get them many months later and from what I had heard tressfx hair initially wasn't that good at launch but was much improved later. I thought it looked cool.

I really liked the Tomb Raider reboot although it doesn't have much in common with Tomb Raider games of old - which is unavoidable if you remove the centrepiece tomb puzzles from the main game. I'd say it is more of a survival platformer but whatever it is, it works for me.

Yeah that's my main gripe to be honest is that it's not really a Tomb Raider game, there really isn't much puzzle solving at all. There are hidden tomb's you can find to do some puzzle solving but even that is fairly limited. Still what they did was really cool and I'm glad they reworked the main character. It has become more of a platformer type game but I find the control and gameplay on it to be somewhat better than others in the category, to me it's the best of this type of game that I've played in quite a while.

Back