TitanFall [XO,X360]

Titanfall alpha is hitting!!!

I guess it is Xbox One only. Lasts til the 19th? Two day alpha? weird.

Judging by a twitter search, quite a lot of people actually get in.

And first pics

eGBgepC.jpg

D8vczeI.jpg

Maybe just alpha hype but most people seem to be saying it's awesome, super fun etc.

Dang it why didn't I open my X1 and try to get in on his, I always get in the most l33t alpahs/beta/demos :(

some overhyped twitter impressions

Roman Works ‏@RomanEmpirre 1m

You won't be dissapointed with titanfall everybody I promise that.

Max Crew ‏@GmoneyHockey17 4m

Titanfall is amazing

Edgar Oviedo ‏@alitos2025 4m

This Titan Fall Alpha Is Sick!!

Ok since alstrong is taking so long, I gave myself a super quick, probably ineffective, crash course in pixel counting...

I could be COMPLETELY off here, but offhand I'm guessing it is indeed 720p. On a horizontal edge, I got 7-8 steps for 13 pixels. Of course my actual ratio is even worse than 1080/720, but we'll chalk that up to noobness. And obviously I'm not good enough/didn't try to get very granular either (in the horrific event it's actually sub 720P)

Being incredibly a bad job and all, I'm guessing reality is something like a 2/3 ratio, or 720P up. Which would imply the ol 1280x720 (didn't try a vertical edge dont really care to learn either)

Be aware I could be completely off base.

Is there a better (preferably free) prog than paint for pixel counting? Not sure if it matters but paint wont let me zoom in beyond a certain point...

The pics are so low quality I think trying to get anything very granular is an exercise in futility. But yeah I think it's 720P.

Pictures look super blurry, I wonder if it's the game or the quality of the images...

Has to be mostly the images. Even the hud text looks awful.

I dont expect this game to look amazing but I think it will look good in motion in a TV.

Guy confirmed to work at respawn on gaf says this:

Now that half of you are browsing crappy unauthorized cellphone pics...

TO BE EXPLICIT:

All textures in this Alpha Test build are at 25% of the final game's resolution. So if you're staring at a 256x256 texture, that's actually a 1024x1024 texture in the real game. 512? That's a 2048. It's a huge, huge, huge difference. Especially on terrain, weapons, cockpits, hands, effects, etc.

There's a reason the build is under NDA. It's not for showing off, or giving people a fair idea of what the game looks like, or for pixel counting. You'll still have your chance to scream "lolz pixels lazy devs Goldeneye N64 lololololol", but now is not the time.

(Well; menu images are probably full res.)

I just saw a 8 min direct feed. IQ is horrid due to the textures are low but that's been explained.

I think the main issue the game has (in line with what many other said) is the reduction of player vs player moments.

Player vs Titan encounters favor the Titan extremely (as you should expect), thus leading to people farming AIs to spawn Titans faster.

Then this leads to people only wanting to show up when they have titans, which may bring up a array of other problems.

I just saw a 8 min direct feed. IQ is horrid due to the textures are low but that's been explained.

I think the main issue the game has (in line with what many other said) is the reduction of player vs player moments.

Player vs Titan encounters favor the Titan extremely (as you should expect), thus leading to people farming AIs to spawn Titans faster.

Then this leads to people only wanting to show up when they have titans, which may bring up a array of other problems.

Sounds like a alpha test, and something that can be fixed :)

I also watched this vid...and I think it looks frantic and amazing! AI is quite a cool addition!

Balance of Titans and Humans is of course the difficult part...only time will tell.

But the movement, the ultra high speed, the verticality...exactly what I hoped for, what I want in my next MP shooter.

After DICE having killed my interest in all MP FPS with their atrocious offering...this is the first game that get me interested in competitive MP again...nice.

I saw an off screen video just now. I don't see the point of thr AI. Why would I want to go through the same AI killing in the same map over n over again ? Its not as if the AI was smart, it was standard SP AI.

MP for me is unpredictable and new everytime, due its very nature. But if every match starts with bashing AI , I mean, I don't want to replay an SP mission SO many times !

People getting excited is obvious, its a super refined, super fast adrenaline pumping fast gameplay. But is it a good Multiplayer game? I will wait for more than initial "Wow" impressions. I was not expecting so much AI in MP matches at all.

EDIT: I watched this oe :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19v9ni_titanfall-closed-alpha-offscreen_videogames?start=1

Is there even any other player in the Map? The enemies all looked like simple bots, canon fodder.

Almost everybody who plays it seems to like it, so it's probably a lot of fun regardless of the nitpicks we can do from watching videos.

Bots are good for somebody like me who kinda sucks at MP. That way we can feel engaged and like we're getting kills and progressing. It's actually a pretty good idea.

Almost everybody who plays it seems to like it, so it's probably a lot of fun regardless of the nitpicks we can do from watching videos.

Bots are good for somebody like me who kinda sucks at MP. That way we can feel engaged and like we're getting kills and progressing. It's actually a pretty good idea.

But what about someone who plays it for the competition? It sounds like the worst idea for him. And that is what drives an MP game, its a competition between two teams about who is the best. And among all the teams, who is the best player.

I am just discussing cos what I saw kills my interest for a few reasons.

I assume they added AI to give a feeling of full scale war , yet keeping player count limited to make sure Titans don't get swarmed by players from all sides, killing them off in seconds and making piloting a Titan annoying.

Still, Adding AI doesn't sound like a good option IMO. Of course,t hey must have tested out enough and zeroed in on this but it will make stuff repetitive in MP. People will just farm AI bots for points. Kill AI, get TiTan, move on, hide from real players,kill AI , get Titan, move on. That kills anything the game wants you to do. The ppl we call cmpers till now, will be AI hunters from now on.

My point is

1)ppl don't play MP for killing AI bots, we have horde modes for that, they play for competitve challenge with other people and friends. AI in my team or other team means no fair competition.

2)If my team's AI bots keep dying and keep providing points to the enemy, I will be angry and frustrated as hell. Because no matter what best lpayers I have in my team, my team will also have brainless canon fodder bots whom I have no control over. If it was upto me, I would just tell them not to spawn and let me get the objective. Or atleast let me point them to some chokepoint to keep th eenemy busy while I get the objective.

3) like i said earlier, I don't want SP like structure in my MP, because : repetitve. There is a limit to which I can stomach replaying the same levels against AI.

4) there could have been another option of gathering resources instead of farming AI bots, and the game could still have been a 6 vs 6 battle. Lower numbers don't immediately mean a boring gamw. If map size and objectives are accordingly suited, a 6vs 6 can be fun.Basically they decided this way.

5) someone suggested in another forum that instead of AI they could have made a weaker defensive class, which cannot do much against Titans, just like the AI, but that could conribute more towards the onjectives, move fastwr to avoid Titans and be more defensive in abilities.....and let players choose to be them if they want. That would address the issue and still keep the game alive with real players.

Still hoping the game will stay fun, but addign so much AI makes me less hopeful for it hold my interest for long. The game is what it is.Maybe they should let us define rules for our own games and have the option of removing bots.

The sole reason for bots to exist in this game is to fill the titanfall bar, apparently you can jump right in the middle of 5 bots and kill all of them easily and not even take a single shot.

From the videos this looks pretty cool, the only twist to classic FPS is the Titan/Suit/Thingy?

Is this a timed exclusive or in other words, any idea when it will hit PC?

Back