Tips for getting better CPU performance?

almighty

Banned
Does anyone have any tricks/tips that i can use to boost my CPU performance? I have a 3ghz socket 478 Pentium 4. I think its strangling my X1950 PRO :(

Failing that does anyone know of a AGP motherboard/CPU bundle that would go with my X1950 PRO but does'nt break the bank at the same time?

Don't waste your money.

Really, why did you buy an X1950 Pro AGP if you were prepared to buy a new motherboard and CPU?

If you really wish you could look into a Asrock 775Dual-VSTA and grab a 775 based CPU (anything but a Core 2 Duo being a waste honestly). But then again, I feel bad suggesting that waste of money.

Don't waste your money.

Really, why did you buy an X1950 Pro AGP if you were prepared to buy a new motherboard and CPU?

If you really wish you could look into a Asrock 775Dual-VSTA and grab a 775 based CPU (anything but a Core 2 Duo being a waste honestly). But then again, I feel bad suggesting that waste of money.

I only upgraded my PC to a X1950 PRO to tie me over for 12 months while i wait for DX10 and Vista to get settled before i do a serious upgrade. And i dont want to buy a new motherboard, but IF there is no real way to get a bit of extra performance from my P4 then i MIGHT consider it :)

I only upgraded my PC to a X1950 PRO to tie me over for 12 months while i wait for DX10 and Vista to get settled before i do a serious upgrade. And i dont want to buy a new motherboard, but IF there is no real way to get a bit of extra performance from my P4 then i MIGHT consider it :)

Ahh. I wouldn't spend the money on it. You might get a bit more performance, but nothing that would be worth spending the money on it that you would. You could always try overclocking..... maybe.

Unfortunately you're in one of those situations I think where a packaged deal is necessary to upgrade... memory, cpu, psu, etc. etc.

Yes, it's as others indicated -- you're at a dead end on AGP without having to upgrade cpu/mb/memory/psu and migrate to PCI-Express. That is why people have been saying AGP is dead for nearly two years now.

There's always boards like the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA though. This would allow you to move up to 775 and still use your AGP card and choose between either DDR or DDRII memory. It also only needs a 20-pin PSU. That would allow him to upgrade his CPU and motherboard without having to upgrade other parts of the system. That board is also extremely stable and a great motherboard at a fairly cheap price.

With that said, his real issue is not the ability to upgrade, but the reason for it. There is none. The cost that would come (at least $250~) it would be fairly expensive and not worth the cost since he probably would not experience but maybe a 5% increase in performance.

Opteron 165+ decent ocing mobo will get you a 2.8~ ghz dual core machine :D
my mobo cost like 80 bucks and I called it quits at 2.8ghz, if you order from newegg you'll prolly get a uber core like mine...
Of course that's assuming you got a couple hundred to spend, but if you do it will be a sweet upgrade.
You think hyperthreading is nice? try dual core :D
Oh and sell your 1950....

Join the rest of us in 2007 with pci express :p
I'm sure you could get close to what you paid for it since it's so new.

Except he'd have to spend hundreds of pointless dollars to get a PCIe system. That would be a waste for his current position.

Because that's worth spending hundreds of dollars on.

Naturally, gives you a good upgrade path without relying on the kindness of IHVs to release their latest and greatest GPUs on agp.
Now of course in my example there is no upgrade path because S939 is dead :LOL:

Guys im NOT going to PCI-E until DX10 and Vista are settled into the market, i made these upgrades to my current system to tide me over until i do move over from AGP/XP to VISTA/PCI-E

an asrock 939 dual sata could be nice if you find it. you can use your ram on it (four DDR1 slots), either single or dual core athlon 64 and it has both a real AGP 8x slot and a real PCIe 16X slot.

A motherboard by itself isn't going to increase your performance. Now, if your current motherboard is hindering your ability to overclock, perhaps it's a different story...

I'm using an Albatron PX865PE Pro II to overclock my current Presc-hot s478 3.0ghz processor to 4.2ghz. It comes with four-phase power regulation, Intel ICH5R SATA raid, Promise 20276 PATA raid, dual bioses (in case you hose one up), 7.1 Envy24 audio, gigabit Intel CSA nic, and I've had three of these boards to 292mhz FSB stable with ram at 1:1. It's solid as a rock, and these days it's "out of vogue" so you can get it cheap.

Edit: I've had three boards because I've got one for myself and built two other machines with the same board for family. One of those boards would POST at 308FSB with the ram at a 3/2 divisor and memtested stabily. The CPU was never fully stable there though :(

Does anyone have any tricks/tips that i can use to boost my CPU performance? I have a 3ghz socket 478 Pentium 4. I think its strangling my X1950 PRO :(

Failing that does anyone know of a AGP motherboard/CPU bundle that would go with my X1950 PRO but does'nt break the bank at the same time?

What applications are you runing that you want better performance in, and what is your motherboard?

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Back