Thread-ban instead of thread-lock?

2) Have you really got nothing better to do with your life than repeat the same ideas ad nauseum on an internet forum? You're actually request the opportunity to say the same things over and over, not changing anything, not convincing anyone, not learning anything new, in a thread where that behavoiur disrupts those wanting to talk about new stuff even if not as frequently as you'd like??

There’s really no way for you to know whether members of this forum are bothered by arguments being repeated ad nauseum. Most people likely ignore posts that they’re not interested in.

Maybe do a poll and ask people if they would prefer the option to decide which posts they want to read or engage in? Going back to my original point - deleting posts simply because you personally think a topic has run its course is a very low bar. It’s a very elitist take but you’re entitled to your opinion. However there are likely many others who would find value in the exchange.

I’ll leave it here. My only point is that the heavy handed policing in this case wasn’t to anyone’s benefit.

There’s really no way for you to know whether members of this forum are bothered by arguments being repeated ad nauseum. Most people likely ignore posts that they’re not interested in.

Unless members complain to the mod team about posts in which case they'd have a lot more information available on the subject than you do, and maybe a bit more informed perspective.

You literally just said it was disruptive to discussion of games and demos. Which clearly doesn't make sense since it's not a games and demos thread.

"It was an intellectual dead-end that just added noise over the top of every game and demo conversation."
It's discussing the technical points or showcasing the content. No-one's talking about the type of content for game threads.
So now there's a problem with providing site feedback in the site feedback forum? Sheesh.

This isn't about me. The UE5 SWRT debate was between Oleg, Andrew and other folks. I'm commenting here in "site feedback" because I felt compelled to provide feedback on questionable moderation. I guess that's also not allowed here.
No-one's stopped you from discussing it. The only resistance youre feeling is people suggesting the moderation wasn't right and me saying what's wrong with asking people to take the conversation to a new thread as asked? Was that request unreasonable? If not, why the critique of the moderation? ;)

No, but part of being a mod is making such design choices. Again, the conversation was not ended - just asked to be moved elsewhere which we can guarantee would please more people than either 1) leaving it in and annoying x number of people who are tired of the same points - I'd guess x is greater than 6 given 6 upvotes of my Mod Preservation Order post - and 2) cancelling the conversation and annoying y number of people who want to keep talking about SWRT where y > 3. Having the discussion separate is the the best option, no?
Going back to my original point - deleting posts simply because you personally think a topic has run its course is a very low bar. It’s a very elitist take but you’re entitled to your opinion. However there are likely many others who would find value in the exchange.
It's not elitest but practical. Mods have finite time. Ideally we'd go through and find all the post and spawn a new thread. Often we do that. Sometimes a thread is too big and we don't. I'd say it's not the mods being elitest, but those ignoring mod requests and posting content where it's not welcome are being rude. It's also against the FAQ. You may not like how a library is organised but you don't go moving the books around against the librarians organisation. So after a 'cancel' order, subsequent posts are fair game for removal.

But as for the actual deleted posts which by accounts occured before that request to move conversation, again, I don't know what they were. I didn't post my Mod Preservation Order until page 244 and there have been no deletes after that AFAICS. I can't thus comment on what posts were deleted or why.
I’ll leave it here. My only point is that the heavy handed policing in this case wasn’t to anyone’s benefit.
If a Policeman cordoning off an alley and asking people to walk around the next block is heavy handed, then yeah, it's heavy handed. But honestly, I'm lost in understanding how asking people to take their talk into another room is such a problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So now there's a problem with providing site feedback in the site feedback forum? Sheesh.
Yep, I guess there is.

A few days ago I made a feedback thread here complaining about a mod who locked down a thread for no obvious reasons, only to have my feedback thread locked for no obvious reasons too!

If the argument of locking down threads and entire forum sections for going out of line because mods don't have the capacity to deal with infractions, then what is the argument for locking down threads before any problems even happen? What is the argument for locking down feedback threads?

It's clear we have a systemic problem here.

Here is the locked feedback thread.

And here is the original locked no problem thread.

Yep, I guess there is.
So another thread where users were told "Will reopen for discussion after the replacement forum sections are opened."

Wait until a solution is discovered for the constant AMD/nVidia shit-posting, as informed.

Honestly, this reminds me of a plant my Mum got. It was a dainty rose. The instructions said, "Do not overwater. Do not leave standing in water." She left it standing in water. It drowned. She threw it out. Stupid, no good rose!

Have you ever implemented a thread-ban to an individual poster?

Also was @PSman1200 banned? Solitary ban or with his sparring partner? His last posting seemed pretty innocuous.

You need to go back to the point where a mod got involved in the "discussion" to understand what @trinibwoy is talking about.
It's unfortunate but maybe they should have self-moderated instead of attempting to have the last word on the topic.

If the debate wasn't shut off where are the deleted posts between Andrew and OlegSH that occurred prior to your mod involvement and inflammatory statement?
It was hard not to notice the posts when reading the thread at that time.

The nature of the thread changed around here and push back by Andrew on certain discussions.
OT, but how did you generate those post links? The page numbering in the link ruins it for people with different (to you, I suppose, rather than to the default of 20 IIRC) posts per page, so the link will take you to the page but not the post. The link generated by each post's number (in the top right corner) doesn't contain pagination and so works in all cases.

Edit: I'm guessing you just copied your browser's URL bar after using the appropriate per-post link. Interesting. Not sure how I could bother Rys to fix the unfixable. :LOL:

Last edited:
Edit: I'm guessing you just copied your browser's URL bar after using the appropriate per-post link. Interesting. Not sure how I could bother Rys to fix the unfixable. :LOL:
The forum software gives you a unique per-post link if you want it, that is agnostic of how many posts per page a user has configured. Look for the little 3 node graph icon, top right, near the post number and bookmark icons.

Here's one that takes you to the post I'm replying to now:

Back to the topic at hand, thread bans will start to be used more often to keep troublesome posters out of certain threads, where they can't be trusted to post in a good way. We'll use those where we can, and where it makes sense.

Back