Thread-ban instead of thread-lock?

SlmDnk

Regular
BRiT said:
Everyone was warned...

Thread is now locked.
Isn't it better to temporarily (or even permanently) banish misbehaving users from a thread rather than lock the whole thread up?

That way those of us who know how to behave can continue using and enjoying the thread.

In principle it could be done though determination/selection of misbehaving individual(s) is a very subjective decision.
It would be cool if these decisions could be relegated to some type of AI process at the touch of a button. :)

Isn't it better to temporarily (or even permanently) banish misbehaving users from a thread rather than lock the whole thread up?
I would advocate for this. It feels like some threads/topics are disproportionately dominated by a small number of people. Removing them would create space for more people to input.

Issue is a smaller number of people disrupting the natural thread flow without presenting any supporting arguments or information.
Threads will have primary posters interested in the topic over time, it's just those "occasional" disrupters that start the "thread wars".

Or just relax, please. Some people are just too high on modération power. It's killing a lot of topics. We're mostly adults, i can ignore some people by myself thx you. Some topics just find a balance by themselves after a while, without bans or locks or anything. It's killing an already pretty dead b3d.

Thread locks can happen preemptively too! even if there was no trouble or even a sign of trouble in sight!

Or just relax, please. Some people are just too high on modération power. It's killing a lot of topics. We're mostly adults, i can ignore some people by myself thx you. Some topics just find a balance by themselves after a while, without bans or locks or anything. It's killing an already pretty dead b3d.
Wise words, there.

Open the pod bay doors thread, please, HAL.

Last edited:
Yes, very simple, I think everyone gets it... but it is smarter to thread-ban the instead (if that is possible with this forum software).
In your opinion, it's a subjective thing more than objective. The powers that be don't seem to agree with you or else they'd have done it.

The powers that be are progressively shutting down this forum by not addressing the root of the problem.

The powers that be are progressively shutting down this forum by not addressing the root of the problem.
The root of the problem is subjective depending on if you're in that group that is the root of the problem or not.

It's not what group(s) you belong rather whether an individuals bias always requires a response that derails ongoing discussions that they may not agree with.
While most in this forum advocate hearty discussion/debate, functionally it tends to fall short when supporting fact is replaced with personal/political agenda and bias.

In your opinion, it's a subjective thing more than objective. The powers that be don't seem to agree with you or else they'd have done it.

Yeah, I can't blame the mods for locking the threads rather than going through multiple pages of thread wars and then might be questioned regarding how they possibly could decide that and that user could have been banned but not that one.
If the mods start banning users though, I still think they should have reading rights and be able to download the files that require you to log onto the forum to download.

The UE5 thread above was saved from derailing, Andrew and Shifty explained it well IMO, and thankfully people had sense to heed the warnings and not get that thread locked.

That exchange in the UE thread is bizarre. Yes there were a few posters going back and forth reiterating the same points. However it was a relatively technical topic and I don’t believe it ever got personal. If the concern was that it was preventing other discussion on UE (it wasn’t) then maybe spawn a thread. Also if the point of that thread is to hail UE and criticism isn’t allowed it should be renamed accordingly.

The moderation take of “you’ve made your point already and we’re tired of hiring it” is heavy handed and it’s not clear who it benefits exactly. In this particular case there’s a hint that the moderators were interested in silencing only one side of the conversation. Just a bad look all around.

The UE5 thread above was saved from derailing, Andrew and Shifty explained it well IMO, and thankfully people had sense to heed the warnings and not get that thread locked.

I disagree. How is a debate of SWRT and HWRT trade offs derailing a thread named “Unreal Engine 5” when UE5 is the reigning poster child for exactly that discussion?

I disagree. How is a debate of SWRT and HWRT trade offs derailing a thread named “Unreal Engine 5” when UE5 is the reigning poster child for exactly that discussion?

The mods responded to it multiple times on the same page when they were questioned for their actions, their end posts write it out clearly, they deemed that the discussion was done because no new information was being added.

Apparently people found that sudden warning harsh, but the mods obviously thought it was needed because they saw the risk of derailing. But when being critized for it, both mods further explained their reasoning. In the end, no bans and no locking of the thread, but the reasons for having used their authority are listed on that page.

If some users got upset by the mods' handling of that thread though, the mods starting to thread-ban users probably would prompt this part of the forum being spammed by threads criticizing their each and every ban.

Back