The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

The amount of XP you get is really weird:

Played the main quest for 5h...didn't even get 200XP...played three side missions about 3h total and jumped nearly two levels (am now lvl 17).

Don't know if this has been posted, but the shortcut to the map screen on Xbox and pc with a gamepad is holding the start/menu button.
Thanks thanks and thanks, that's a time saving feature like no other one. I didn't know that, and the map is slow and clumsy -like some of the UI parts-. +10 for you

@RenegadeRocks i save/reload like mad though... so i can see what the story brances :D
I took some difficult and potentially controversial decisions, sometimes it's difficult to judge good from bad, but I decided to stick to them no matter what. We shall see in a second run. Some missions are easier depending on your decisions, and other decisions help you to avoid a fight.
im in no hurry to finish W3 :D
ill savor every minutes, explore every brances :D

because Destiny HoW was a huge dissapointmet for me and completed just a few hours on release day. and there's no other games to play.
You are forgiven for that but when Life is Strange is completed, please... play it. Seriously, one of the best games ever.

This is me. The light cat armour is actually quite a bit heavier than the medium Griffin armour but cat boosts fast attacks and has a boost to stamina where Griffin boosts signs and has no boost to stamina, but offers better protection overall. I don't know if things will change in Skellige, but now I'm doing far more damage with swords than signs so Griffin sounds like it would be a bad choice, unless the boost is seriously good.

Can anybody who has used both comment?
I am theorizing here, I am level 11 and only have the Griffin armour set, but say.... if you collect all the items of the Cat set, at the highest level you settle at something like 75 or more extra attack power, and if you use the passive ability that grants a 25% bonus to critical hits for each piece of light armour, you can imagine that you will be VERY serious trouble for baddies, you will be low on defense (to compensate for that you can then use the skill that reduces damage if they strike you when you are dodging), but you will be one hell of a witcher of hell.

I have no bubble as I pimped my Igni first. Honestly it's tough! I have to dodge or roll with perfect timings or I'm in trouble! Also I can't go into a bigger fight without gearing up with the right potions and bombs. Simply I have to use all available tools just to survive, especially when fighting similar level packs of monsters, like drowners or higher level single opponents. But it's really good fun when after long fight you're left with no bombs at all, barely any life left and full toxicity so can't even heal yourself with potions! Afterwards I always try to hunt rabbits / deer to get some meat and boost my health again :)
BTW my Quen now can take two hits from lesser monsters before protection is gone!!

PS. I'm amazed how good some of the monsters are done! I love Foglets as you can see how they move in the fog when invisible by they way fog is disturbed! They are tough to defeat, especially when fighting 2 or 3 at the same time ...
What difficulty level are you playing on? You can respect buying the respect potion from Keira and another merchant whose number I don't remember.

But yes, I am pumping signs (save from 3 points in alchemy to get a vitality boost using a green mutagen) and doing fine with the Griffin armour -still torn, between this set, Cat or Bear- and Igni is very useful, but I only have one point in the initial skill of Igni and the variation.

If you need food, go to Downwarren, you can get like 100 (the max they allow) pieces of Raw Meat, and many eggs in no time. Goose and sheep respawn there just after you Igni them.

I found a trick which is focusing mostly on the Goose, you just move a couple of meters up and down, up and down, Igni goose, 100 pieces of raw meat in less than 5 minutes, plus the always nutritive eggs. :)

Now talking of monsters.., there is a female monster called Bruxa in the game. Well, bruxa comes from my native language and it means "witch".

Noticed that there will be another patch again probably tomorrow already, fixing some XP issues and lots of quest bugs, apparently.

Played the main quest for 5h...didn't even get 200XP...played three side missions about 3h total and jumped nearly two levels (am now lvl 17).
Yes, it's the experience bug. I completed a main quest yesterday and I am wondering if I got the experience. I have a previous save, so we shall see. Some people aren't playing because of that bug. This is said bug:

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/37r3t4/seems_like_a_lot_of_people_dont_understand_the_xp/

Finally got to Skellige which a great change from Velen and Novigrad, both of which are pretty grim right now. Not a single person has insulted me while I've been here either, clearly they're more tolerant than the mainland.

Question: Where can I get my Griffin sword crafted ? I went to the guy in Novigrad square who says "Top Notch Swords" but the bloody guy crafts only armour :runaway: ! I have a full set of Griffin armour on and just need someone to craft the Griffin sword for me !

BTW, I am also without Quen, and its not that difficult or anyhting. My Igni is pumped up, so is my Yrden +light attacks. I guess, having my signs boosted helps :
View attachment 719

You have to do the swords and dumplings quest to get Hatori (just like the famous japanese sword maker!) back in the forge (Novigrad) he can make anything. And to get the armour made you need to do the master smith quest and that'll lead you to a blacksmith in the Bloody Barons camp. But not who you think!!

I've just made the most powerful sword in the game (Longclaw) but I need to be lvl 37 to use it. I'm trying to remember where I found the diagram now.

@Cyan
I'm playing on Blood and Tears.

I've seen that potion for 1000 coins but I'm happy with my development.
Just now I've visited shipwrecks in Velen, what a beautiful place in the morning!

5w7fVVO.jpg

VFk2YMv.jpg
B8NInvj.jpg
O3dYdHb.jpg
F8FumYG.jpg
IhVRU2q.jpg
thBbmZ9.jpg

Maybe that's related to the XP (experience) bug. I completed the Family Matters quest and got no experience whatsoever. But after completing several secondary missions I went from 10 experience (level 11 here) to 500+ experience.

I decided not to touch the main quests for now, until the next patch is published and play secondary missions and gwent (so fun! I always bet 1 oren, what matters is the cards you get, plus each rival player has its style).

Last edited:
Actually it's 10 slots. Plus a couple set aside for auto-saves and checkpoints as far as I remember. That said, I would've been just fine with 5 too. One backup save in case some pesky open-world, game-breaking calamity ensues is pretty much everything I need. I don't like reloading and checking out different quest outcomes, though. Rolling with the punches is a lot more fun to me

Actually it's 10 slots. Plus a couple set aside for auto-saves and checkpoints as far as I remember. That said, I would've been just fine with 5 too. One backup save in case some pesky open-world, game-breaking calamity ensues is pretty much everything I need. I don't like reloading and checking out different quest outcomes, though. Rolling with the punches is a lot more fun to me

True for me too! I leave one save a day for backup purposes, but otherwise I roll with 3 saves in a loop.
I'm past Red Baron quests and heading to Novigrad and already I can see myself playing this game 2nd time with different choices to see what happens then (especially the Tree-Horse thing and few lesser NPC's I've saved or not), branching is crazy long in this game and some decisions only manifest their consequences many hours into the game. Cool!

Edit: I'm here now ...

uzgK9qD.jpg

q0JUYvw.jpg

I'm at the end... Or almost there, doing the the Final Preparation quest. I've finished all the Witcher Contracts, secondaries (apart from racing and playing gwent which just doesn't interest me). But I still don't feel confident about the end fights (I had a couple of terminal encounters with gollems last night) so I'm trawling around grinding monster nests so I can get to at least lvl 40.

I made all the oils last night as well (so much stuff in my inventory) but I'm missing the Ekythingy vampire skin and I can't find any more anywhere. Seems like there's only three in the game and one of those you can miss as it jumps to a cut scene before you get chance to loot the corpse. Hopefully they'll patch a few more in soon.

There is a XP bug for the main quests?! This could very well be the explanation!
Thanks for pointing it out...
Don't trust my word, some main quests don't give experience when you complete them, but when you are playing them during certain events. Take a look at your experience, keep the number in mind, play a sidequest and complete it, see if the XP increased. IF not, it's the bug, most likely. Don't worry though, just play and you will know. IT's not a very common bug, I think. I am gaining experience on certain main quests now, so... it was a false alarm, most probably.

IF you suspect there is a bug you can still play Gwent and discover new places in the map or go to the places with a question mark, monsters give experience. Those in white give very little -1XP, if they are 6 or more level below your character's level- and that's about it.

I have to admit I'm finding the last few missions really hard... Not because they are hard to do but because the I'm finding that actually getting Geralt to do want I want is hard.

Once there are a number of tough enemies in a small area the lag on the controls becomes really noticeable, makes blocking impossible and also the later enemies are almost impossible to get behind. They kind of do that old billboard sprite routine and just rotate on the spot so that they are always facing you. Make shields and pikes very hard to deal with. I've been using bugs in the path finding to get them stuck on scenery so that I can crossbow them for 20 minutes to kill them!

The game is amazing but I'm finding the controls to be very frustrating at times. They're the main cause of all the deaths I've suffered so far. Falling off cliffs, bridges, buildings etc (it's almost like Geralt wears roller skates instead of boots). But it's the lag that really gets me, when I press a button I kind of expect an action at the same time not three days later (that might be an exaggeration but it's definitely half a second or more some times).

I will persevere but it may require Valium... :D

Yeah, the most dangerous foes in the Witcher 3 are indeed ladders in confined spaces. Geralt's respectable age becomes rather evident when he loses half his health to a 5 foot drop. Can't think of another video game hero with bones as brittle as his.

I believe Geralt is the weakest character in the recent history of video games, I died once due to something that I can only describe as a "bear fart".
Really I was behind a bear with 75% of HP and a fraction of a second later I am dead.
The bear was perfectly still, it didn't move a muscle so what else could have killed me if not his fart!?

Last edited:
Yeah, the most dangerous foes in the Witcher 3 are indeed ladders in confined spaces. Geralt's respectable age becomes rather evident when he loses half his health to a 5 foot drop. Can't think of another video game hero with bones as brittle as his.

In his defence I must point out that he usually is wearing heavy armour and two swords, so it's not like he's falling with only his body weight to withstand.

Back