The relative signifigances of "Tilt" and Bluray.

This BluRay / space discussion is getting tiresome. It's a complete non-discussion. You have to be in complete denial to not see that it will offer an advantage. Period.

However, sixaxis has certainly the potential to be more significant. I just don't know enough about it at this point to know how much. I want to see how precise it is, and experiment with coding it. I absolutely see heaps of potential there. It's a big shame that it was released so late in the day, and very few developers have had the chance to figure it out what it can do yet to build it into their games, or even design unique games around them.

Together, I think they're going to make a significant difference.

correct observation, but not entirely.
how descent was it? until very recently, it was running on one core. until this moment, they are still trying to get the framerate.
we have seen one of microsofts MAIN games, a trilogy, to dissapear humiliated because of technical problems running on that same engine.
I've heard that, but that has been resolved already no ? and i haven't seen any other devs having trouble with EU except SK but that could be their own incompetence.

and the fact remains that resistance team have always had an option to either spend time on building the engine, or the maps.

They could but i think they wanted a game a tad bit longer then 8 hours :) further more i think I-8 overall package looks a bit better, but neither of this games impresses me much, mind you GoW did but those where bullshots apparently.

okay, well let's list the features that can only be had with pointing:

- FPS targeting
- Light gun games

can you guys help list some more

Anything you can do with a mouse on a home computer and more.
Basically that's what the wiimote is like, a mouse for consoles.
It's a bit like, but of course not quite as drastic a change, as when computers went from keyboard driven interfaces to GUIs.

That's the difference between a gimmick and a real controller.

This and the latency will make or break Sony's and Nintendo's efforts.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33537#17

Don't know about Sony. But Nintendo shouldn't have a problem with latency.

Takeda commented on some problems he had with gaming prior to the Wii Project, particularly doubts about the 60 times per second update that's aimed for by most games. For pointing devices, updating the signal 60 times a second is insufficient, and "the feel of tracking is inadequate," said Takeda. "We were able to read at 200 or 300 times a second using sensor technology, so we decided to give it a try."

Summing up the previous commentary, Iwata noted that rather than the Wii controller coming together exclusively as one idea, it was the amalgamation of numerous ideas, including the rod-shape, the 200 times per second response and the pointer.

Originally Posted by -=P3tRaN=- View Post
correct observation, but not entirely.
how descent was it? until very recently, it was running on one core. until this moment, they are still trying to get the framerate.
we have seen one of microsofts MAIN games, a trilogy, to dissapear humiliated because of technical problems running on that same engine.
I've heard that, but that has been resolved already no ? and i haven't seen any other devs having trouble with EU except SK but that could be their own incompetence.
I dont think that SK are incompetent. I really dont.
we will see today at spain if the engine problems are solved or not.

Originally Posted by -=P3tRaN=-
and the fact remains that resistance team have always had an option to either spend time on building the engine, or the maps.
They could but i think they wanted a game a tad bit longer then 8 hours :) further more i think I-8 overall package looks a bit better, but neither of this games impresses me much, mind you GoW did but those where bullshots apparently.
well, I've bought countless LONG games that never interested me enough to see through to the end of them.
I bet that I am not the only one, either!

now, gears is supposed to be around 10 hours long single play.
but it seems like a much more satisfying game than resistance. or I8 or f.e.a.r or everything else.
so give this satisfying experience good online-offline co-op modes, plus very good paced multiplayer modes,
and I see gears having a lasting appeal that if you count it in hours, it would be a great multiplier of the 10h. single playercampaign.
its not like people are still playing cod2 over live every day since last year because its got a zillion levels.
actually the levels are very few. but still, gameplay is whats keeping people hoooked.

anyway, we saw resistance a couple of days ago. now its time to see gears.
then maybe we'll have something more to say on this.

p.s.
oh, and about the other comments like that "higher quality games require more assets that require bluray" or that "limit the developers/artist by not offering bluray"
:D
bluray power to you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33537#17

Don't know about Sony. But Nintendo shouldn't have a problem with latency.

Does Sony's controller have latency problems?

If Nintendo analyses a camera image to find the controller's position, then that probably explains the latency - a lot of processing is required.

From what I have heard, Sony's 6 axis sensor is an accelerometer - a silicon strain guage on a chip which measures how much an extension on the chip flexes. The output of the chip is a resistance which is fed to an analogue to digital converter to get an input. There is no latency possible here - you get an instantaneous resistance which is converted in microseconds to a digital signal, and no computation by the PS3 is required.

Does Sony's controller have latency problems?

If Nintendo analyses a camera image to find the controller's position, then that probably explains the latency - a lot of processing is required.

From what I have heard, Sony's 6 axis sensor is an accelerometer - a silicon strain guage on a chip which measures how much an extension on the chip flexes. The output of the chip is a resistance which is fed to an analogue to digital converter to get an input. There is no latency possible here - you get an instantaneous resistance which is converted in microseconds to a digital signal, and no computation by the PS3 is required.

I haven't heard of a complaint yet. Pipo's just very anxious that there could be. Nintendo has just already confirmed the read-out frequency. The more often you update the values of your sensors the more accurate your data will get. There seems to be no latency-issue for the both controllers as far as I know. We just haven't heard details from Sony yet. But I'd expect it'll be at least 60 read-outs / s.

Back