The Order: 1886

Man, the "Gollum Werewolf" gameplay demo: Wow, felt like the best thing out of E3
Having just watched it, the gameplay looked...missing. I mean, there was a traversal, cut scene, shooting which was pointless because the werewolf is bulletproof, lengthy cutscene, more shooting wherein the werewolf is bulletproof, and then it gets yer. In that little snippet, the player lacked definite presence and ability to control the game. they were just along for the ride.

The whole game may not be like that, but that's how that segment appeared to me.

Having just watched it, the gameplay looked...missing. I mean, there was a traversal, cut scene, shooting which was pointless because the werewolf is bulletproof, lengthy cutscene, more shooting wherein the werewolf is bulletproof, and then it gets yer. In that little snippet, the player lacked definite presence and ability to control the game. they were just along for the ride.

The whole game may not be like that, but that's how that segment appeared to me.

There are "setup" scenes like that throughout gaming... you will see that monster later and defeat it to access some artifact, location or skillset...

The fact that creature is resilient to bullets makes it more scary IMO, just like Dead Space self-regenerating/invincible necromorph.
It's trick but it works.
What doesn't work it's the HUD and the horrible "press triangle to take the black water" prompt.

Yeah... felt a bit like Resident Evil 6 in more ways than one. Nice looking... demonstration, but I'm not really seeing a compelling game.

The fact that creature is resilient to bullets makes it more scary IMO, just like Dead Space self-regenerating/invincible necromorph.
It's trick but it works.

They can make it more cinematic/scarier by not showing your HUD and the ammo count. *ahem*

The fact that creature is resilient to bullets makes it more scary IMO,
It's not about scary. It's about what the gameplay in terms of player chocies and action is. In this little clip, the player's actions are irrelevant. Well, I suppose if you don't shoot the werewolf in the first instance it may end your game early. But you are quite literally out of any control in that clip. You are only watching things unfold, with the occasional requirement to move the thumbsticks to get to the next piece of cutscene. Because your choices regards where to shoot the monster and with what weapon don't matter as the story is on rails at that point, there is no gameplay.

It could be a great, scary moment, and it may be a small part of a great game with lots of great gameplay (Uncharted had similar), but I wouldn't in any way say that clip demonstrated good gameplay in and of itself. You're very much a spectator rather than a participant.

It's not about scary. It's about what the gameplay in terms of player chocies and action is. In this little clip, the player's actions are irrelevant.
Couldn't agree more. Showing interludes lacking gameplay can backfire and this snippet from The Order did nothing for me. Actually, it dulled my enthusiasm for the game a little.

I think the QTE is more interesting than a full blown non interactive cutscene but yeah it doesn't really show much actual gameplay. What it does show is what the gameplay will be like when they give you full control outside of QTEs. You've got the standard reticle and HUD and shooting perspective/mechanics.

There are "setup" scenes like that throughout gaming... you will see that monster later and defeat it to access some artifact, location or skillset...

Yeah sounds familiar...:smile:

It was very interesting: it seems that the creatures are somewhat intelligent and not just raging beasts. This is quite astounding for me and great news if I interpret this correctly. Offers way way more space for a good story and a better setting.

Edit: I even think they choose this part because it shows off the intelligent behavior of the beast.

I've always been jealous of people who can understand how a game plays from a couple of videos.
I don't know how the whole game plays from this video. I know how this video plays though. First, you move through the building. Left stick to move, right stick to aim. Then you watch a cutscene, switching to a front on camera. Then you regain control signified by the appearance of the HUD, and run away (down on left stick) while shooting (aim with right stick, pull trigger/shoulder button to fire). Then you watch a bit of cutscene as you're caught and thrown through a window. Then you press the button denoted on screen, triangle in this case, which triggers some more cutscene. It then looks like direct control is returned for a moment until you reach the fallen shelving. Control may continue Uncharted style where you have to push in the prescribed direction, although the camera changes make it more likely that this is cutscene all the way up to the return of control when the werewolf advances, again signified by the on-screen HUD. A little more pointless bullet-wasting later* and the clip ends, either in a cutscene or, my guess, a QTE fight.

You shouldn't be jealous of the ability to read gameplay from a vid though. It just needs some background experience of games, a little careful observation, and a bit of common sense. I'm sure it's something you can do!

* Note, I'm not against 'bullet wasting' events. I accept them as part of a story-driven game. As long as they are explained before hand (and not like Uncharted's random rule-changes mid-game), they are perfectly acceptable and contribute to the feel of the game. I am not the slightest bit taking this clip as indicative of a dull cutscene-fest from the game. I'm just being particular about what this clip says about gameplay - not a lot, because it's not a gameplay clip as much as a story clip, showing us what the story and ambience and feelings-while-playing are going to be.

If it's a creature reveal sequence then the lack of interactivity is fine. RAD are such damn teases :|

Apparently the game is on the floor and playable. I wonder which part they're demoing?

I've always been jealous of people who can understand how a game plays from a couple of videos.
You can tell lots of things about how a game plays by watching a video like this. For example I can tell that there will be points where the gameplay will be suspended and cutscenes inserted (40 seconds for the first one) and that the game will throw in a QTE here and there (the branching path QTE system has been covered in interviews btw). Shifty speculated that the werewolf was bulletproof and that may be incorrect but that's what it looks like to me. Indeed from many years of gaming it looks like one of those tedious sequences where the game decides not to let you accomplish something, kill the monster in this case, until you've jumped through a number of hoops. I really dislike it when games decide to employ mechanics to stretch out combat, it's a real bugbear.

The segment of the werewolf looked like the scene would have just played out regardless of if you had continued to shoot it or not. this game is definitely in danger of being completely on rails. There has to be a balance between actual gameplay and cinematography

If it's a creature reveal sequence then the lack of interactivity is fine. RAD are such damn teases :|

Absolutely! The lack of context on short reveals like that can be hugely misleading when compared to the experience of plating the final game. I saw several The Last of Us snippets that, without context, really put me off the game, whereas it's without a doubt the game I enjoyed most on PlayStation 3.

Shifty speculated that the werewolf was bulletproof and that may be incorrect but that's what it looks like to me.
I only meant bulletproof in this particular event. Clearly you're not supposed to kill the werewolf before the prerequisite time when the right cutscene/QTE is set up. Later werewolves can probably be shot to death (this is a TPS after all!).

If you had never seen this bit of the game before actually experiencing it in game, you'd shoot at the creature expecting it to die like everything else in the game. Only it won't and will likely kill you the first play. Then a replay or two later, you twig it's a rigged fight and just go with the flow. That's how it was with Uncharted. You'd have the standard shooting rules until the designers decided to mix things up without telling you of the change of rules, and all those gameplay skills you've been using to survive ordinary encounters suddenly lead to your repeated death until you relearn the new rules of this particular encounter (boss fight on the train in U2 or 3 was is the epitome of this). That's a critique of this genre though, and nothing particular negative about this game. One just has to accept it'll happen and one has to switch in and out of direct control as prescribed.

The segment of the werewolf looked like the scene would have just played out regardless of if you had continued to shoot it or not. this game is definitely in danger of being completely on rails.
Not from a single cinematic! There's nothing to suggest the rest of the game is on-rails. Other gameplay clips show proper shooting, although very confined in narrow alleys.

It's not about scary. It's about what the gameplay in terms of player chocies and action is. In this little clip, the player's actions are irrelevant. Well, I suppose if you don't shoot the werewolf in the first instance it may end your game early. But you are quite literally out of any control in that clip. You are only watching things unfold, with the occasional requirement to move the thumbsticks to get to the next piece of cutscene. Because your choices regards where to shoot the monster and with what weapon don't matter as the story is on rails at that point, there is no gameplay.

It could be a great, scary moment, and it may be a small part of a great game with lots of great gameplay (Uncharted had similar), but I wouldn't in any way say that clip demonstrated good gameplay in and of itself. You're very much a spectator rather than a participant.

Ok, now I follow you...and I even agree with you.
In therms of control yes it appears we players will have have little to do in those conveniently "signposted" moments.
BTW nowadays lack of gameplay/control doesn't seem to bother players as log as the spectacle it's there.

Back