The Order: 1886

I purposely only briefly skimmed the video to not get too many spoilers. Looks good though!

If it helps, there's dialogue which is clearly referring to the plot but which is vague and meaningless because you've not played the prior missions. I've watched it twice and I'm none the wiser ;)

OK I have discovered some visual discrepancy between the cutscene and the gameplay regarding the shadows in this vid. At the main hall where the chandeliers are lighting up the floor, you can see in cutscene the characters are casting shadows, but not in the gameplay. Could this be a bug or a shortcoming of the forward plus rendering? Not that I'm concerned or anything but I do hope they're still keeping the gameplay and cutscene graphics seamless 1:1 by release.

The lighting looks different when it switches between the close-up with the glass casing vs the sniper view, but you can still shadows from characters by the door when the player zooms up over there.
edit: The guy who walks over and then the ladies in red/white cast shadows.

edit2: Cinematic lighting/shadowing just looks different

Last edited:
Some games use a lower LOD in sniper views despite that the scope is supposed to zoom in and hence higher LOD would have kicked in under normal conditions. I think this is a similar case. But I think it is still typical LOD. Even with zoom in, the distance is still far. During normal gameplay (not sniper) such transitions appear non-existent (even though they may exist)

Some games use a lower LOD in sniper views despite that the scope is supposed to zoom in and hence higher LOD would have kicked in under normal conditions. I think this is a similar case. But I think it is still typical LOD. Even with zoom in, the distance is still far. During normal gameplay (not sniper) such transitions appear non-existent (even though they may exist)

Maybe. Though the later section of gameplay has enemies showing up that don't look nearly as nice when up-close vs the preceding cinematic.

Of course, the floor lighting looks considerably better later on than it did when it zoomed in. Seems like a combination of both?

edit:

mm... nevermind. Hard to compare since gameplay camera angles aren't all equal, and we never get as zoomed in as the cinematic camera.

edit: in that video

Other vids seem fine given the circumstances.

Last edited:
I wonder why RAD didn't use dual render sniper scope, like in COD:Ghosts.
Too taxing for the engine perhaps?!

HQ directfeed B-Roll from the airship demo
https://mega.co.nz/#!CMRjmSJa!_l62j6zb5R_LORKsnVyYZKea4qyrYlMOaD-MMW9Kw-o

The only visual problem that I saw was slight shadow aliasing that sometimes appeared on Galahad's face. But even that happened maybe few times, not always, and it is a nitpick in the otherwise stunning game.

there is a low resolution shadow on this scene too
PTnV4cm.jpg

yeah but the game it's incredible! The most beautiful game that i ever see in all my life!

So I'm told that they actually sought to make a 30fps game rather than a 60fps game. That it isn't purely a technical limitation. This might explain 4x MSAA? Does anyone think the game could run at 60fps if it had Post processing AA?

Removing 4x MSAA would not make that engine run 100% faster. If they remove MSAA, they could run game in full 16:9 format, which is something developers from RAD already mentioned it is possible.

Screens from B-Roll video
TUh6DG.png

5qG4zB.png

IUHKFN.png

hVP8gK.png

sSjSoL.png

6h8Xw0.png

If I remember it right they didn't say removing but said that they could go 1080P in 16:9 ratio by doing 2*MSAA instead of 4*MSAA.

On another note, is this the first game that genuinely looks like a CG render?
Perfect round edges everywhere, clothes that don't look like it's made out of polygons but actual cloth...etc

Last edited:
I find all the geometry in the scene has that 3d look instead of a gamey cut and paste effect. Clothes actually feel soft and matted instead of that plastic, shiny look that most games tend to have. The AO, lighting and shading must contribute so much to achieve this depth. Also really love their version of SSS, looks so natural under the light.

I rechecked the b-roll video and man is it hard to find hard edges on the models? Everything looks natural and blends naturally.
The normal maps in many games reveal the actual flatter surface of the models when viewed from certain angles. But here? It is almost impossible to notice. Depth is very convincing. How many polygons are these models made of?

Eurogamer baitclicking again, but ok, that guy's oppinion is what it is. He can keep it.

So many other journalists and people who reported playing the game on the showfloor were very positive, describing good gameplay and immersion into the world of alternative Victorian England.

Back