The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by London-boy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. eloyc

Veteran Regular

No, I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion. :smile2:

digitalwanderer likes this.
  2. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Fringe was on my list to watch, but once I made it through my list, it seems Amazon removed it from their Amazon Prime free list. Now it's on their IMDB TV service, but that has forced ads on it. I can't be bothered with forced ads, now that there is so much ad-free content out there.

digitalwanderer, DSoup and eloyc like this.
  3. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Fringe is from the same production team that delivered Lost but don't let that put you off! :nope: While it likely was a make-it-up-as-you-go-along production, it feels like a more coherent tale told over five seasons if it can be a convoluted in latter seasons. If you like the X-Files (ten.. years.. of.. X-Files..) then you may like Fringe. The vibe is similar even if the premise is not. Although it kinda is. You really just have to dive in and decide for yourself.

There are great casts in both series and although The X-Files is getting on thirty years old - I own the remastered Blu-ray boxset - because so many accomplished screen writers and directors were involved in the creation of the 218 episodes, they feel distinctly different without the whole series feeling weirdly jarring. Like The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, The X-Files was seminal stuff.

eloyc likes this.
  4. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Was Fringe finished properly or one of those shows that simply doesn't get renewed?

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

It sort of finished properly? Seemed a bit deus ex machina there, but no where near as bad as Lost or anything. They tried to wrap it up and it was at least interesting and worked as I recall. I still like the series even though I don't remember it clearly since it's been so long since I watched it, so it must have ended decently. (I resent shows with bad endings so don't still like them later, yeah I'm weird.)

eloyc, DSoup and Malo like this.
  6. Michellstar

Regular Newcomer

Yep, they gave Fringe one more season after the 4, but its was slightly different and not up to past seasons, anyway they could finish the series on its own terms.

Fringe writers pay homage to the X-Files in the second season, it´s was a small thing but nice
    When Broyles is testifying in front of a senate committee of some sort, they refer to their team as heir of the X-Files section of the FBI

The concept of Fringe was really similar to the X-Files, an FBI team investigating the paranormal, and an a mythology arc encompassing all the seasons, but real soon the stand alone episodes were dwarfed by the mythology ones, and became serialized.

Its a sign of times, with ratings and the influence of social media giving a sort of feed-back loop into the series.

A must watch

digitalwanderer and Malo like this.
  7. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Just wait until S01E03 "Squeeze", S01E21 "Tooms" and S04E02 "Home" ... those episodes are particularly hard to forget.

DSoup, eloyc and digitalwanderer like this.
  8. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

American Horror Story 1984. The first four episodes have been quite entertaining so far. Ever since the makers have scaled the show back from 20 to 10 episodes, the pacing has been relentless. I like that.
    Also rewatching Dr. House. Still my favorite tv show. Also still my favorite Sherlock Holmes show .

9. digitalwanderer

Legend

If you like House you really should check out "Bits of Fry and Laurie", I've been addicted to it for decades!

Fry, Laurie and Emma Thompson all got started together in comedy, I still find that delightful they were all in the Footlights troupe at the same time!

hoom and BRiT like this.
  10. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

dammmm that succession season finale

11. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

indeed

12. Bludd

Veteran

im watching the loudest voice and that show makes it clear that it was barack obama being president that was the last straw that broke the camels back and finally turned the republican party insane which led to trump

obama made trump (and isis)

13. digitalwanderer

Legend

I'd love to argue the point, but I has a feeling you posted in the wrong forum buddy (or "bluddy" rather. :p ). We're you trying to post in on of them rumored "RPSC" forum posts that are shrouded in deep mystery?

/digisan give seekrat handshake and winks while holding his finger to the side of his nose and nodding his head

14. Bludd

Veteran

bling blong bing bing bing
    what? oh yes thank you, machine
    well it seems my post wasnt political at all according to my content analysis machine
    also i dont believe obama created isis, but you can watch russel crowe in the loudest voice, on showtime

15. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Oh, I forgot to mention that I finished The Terror: Infamy. What a beautiful show. I also learned some history, regarding the concentration camps for the Japanese in the US (and its connection to many people in the show!).

@DSoup , will you watch it?

DSoup likes this.
  16. digitalwanderer

Legend

Oh gods I am sorry, i had no idea "The Loudest Voice" was a show! I thought you meant it as in a generic term meaning the loudest people in a discussion! ROFL!

My bad entirely Bludd and sorry, I genuinely misunderstood. I apologize sincerely and hope I caused no offense because there honestly wasn't any meant.

BRiT likes this.
  17. Bludd

Veteran

lol come here ya big cuddly guy and lets hug it out

also i want to watch the terror infamy

eloyc and digitalwanderer like this.
  18. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I'm a bit torn on the following series, mostly because it's released weekly and not in a binge-able format: Watchmen on HBO. It starts this Sunday. I think I'll wait until either of the following happens, the series is finished OR massive amount of people are talking about it positively.

19. Bludd

Veteran

there is some buzz about it and in my book damon lindelof has redeemed himself after the lost debacle because he helmed the leftovers which was brilliant

Michellstar and digitalwanderer like this.
  20. digitalwanderer

Legend

The movie annoyed me, I liked the graphic novel a lot better, but this series could end up being far superior to the movie and take it in to new territory which will either make or break it. I'm with Brit on this one. If I hear great things about the first episode I'll jump on it, otherwise I'll hold back a bit.

I've got a backlog of anime and shows to watch right now and don't wanna add more is also part of it... :p

(NOT a disk space problem, just not time!)

BRiT likes this.