The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Finally watched the Walking Dead season 6. Started seeing too many commercials and potential spoilers popping up everywhere for the upcoming season, so I decided semi binge watch it in three days. I like this show, other than the 8-10 episodes at the beginning of season 2, it's been solid.

I haven't been watching that many shows during the last couple of years. Now I have some decent free time on my hands, so I'll try to watch a few shows. I'm thinking Breaking Bad is next, haven't seen a single episode of it.

In Breaking Bad the psychological journey of Walter the school teacher is an amazing story.

And, after Breaking Bad, move on to Better Call Saul for a more comedic (yet still excellent) show sharing some of the same characters/situations.

ep2 was a bit better, some more storylines opening up, and I'm starting to take an interest in some of the characters.

Also, is there a reason why the bots or whatever they are calling them, are actually interacting with each other when there are no humans anywhere near such as the multiple re-runnings of the Daughter waking up and chatting to the father. Clearly that's done for the purpose of the viewer, but it requires the tech which otherwise is fabulously lifelike, to be totally dumb. Inter-bot interaction is just software talking to software.
I did have a smile to myself when they attempted to answer this very question. I wasn't convinced by the answer, but at least they tried....

I thought Luke Cage was a bit hmmm. There's a lot I've seen here before, and I actually even felt some of the acting at times was a bit ... substandard? But it's drawing me in regardless. It's really strange at times though. I know nothing of the original comics though so no idea how that matches up.

Westwood ep3
I don't understand the scene with Dolores back at home in the usual scene with her dad dead etc. She gets shot then suddenly the scene repeats and she gets a chance to run away. Is this intimating it's the next cycle suddenly and she remembers what's going to happen and runs instead?

I finished Luke Cage. It's good enough to finish. Look forward to what's next.

Westwood ep3
I don't understand the scene with Dolores back at home in the usual scene with her dad dead etc. She gets shot then suddenly the scene repeats and she gets a chance to run away. Is this intimating it's the next cycle suddenly and she remembers what's going to happen and runs instead?

Yes, I think she gets a flashback of how the scene played previously, and adjusts her response this time.

I finding it hard to engage with the main characters. Long scenes soley with bots/hosts which take many minutes to happen, could happen in micro-seconds if their two programs just interacted. They just seem entirely pointless. Also tough to engage with any of them when you are constantly reminded it's just a machine.
Also none of the techs have any redeeming characteristics at all, and few of the guests. It just seems so dark and also slow.

Is the gang at the end humans ?, I'm guessing so as they could not be shot, but would add a new element if they were bots that couldn't be shot

Enjoying "Goliath". I've always like Billy Bob Thornton. He plays a once top notch legal partner, who's now a drunk. But a case takes his interest and it's him V big corp, with big corp playing dirty tricks.

BBT doesn't disapponit.

I'm enjoying Kiefer Sutherland's new show Designated Survivor. Kiefer stars as Tom Kirkland, US secretary of housing and urban development, who is designated survivor the night of the state of the union.
And then the capitol is blowd up yo

Westworld

This was undoubtedly one of the biggest shows of the year, and I was looking forward to it with great expectations. The first few episodes were great - Hopkins and Harris really shine in their roles, and many of the other actors are pretty good as well. Cinematography is amazing, production values are high, so it all started out pretty well.

But sadly, it is now starting to turn into a big disappointment... I can only explain it with some moderate spoilers.

This new incarnation of Westworld is basically a real-world version of an open world RPG computer game - Jonathan Nolan actually talked about it in some interviews. The robots - called hosts - are highly evolved versions of the various NPCs, reacting to the "players'" actions - giving quests, acting as love interests or villains, and so on. They look like humans, but inside they're still just more complex versions of finite state machines - a bunch of parameters, some level of memory, and lots of pre-programmed behaviors. They only have an illusion of intelligence, but their internal processes are abstracted, they're not self-aware, they have no emotions, so in the end they're just automated agents.

Based on the above, it looked like the story would focus on the implications of this: where is the line between real intelligence and the illusion of it, can such a machine become complex enough that it is indistinguishable from a real human and does it matter how it works internally at that point. Can a robotic sex toy become realistic enough to replace a real human partner, even though it's still just programmed and has no actual emotions... and so on.

Then in episode 5 or 6, it suddenly turned out that the hosts are actually intelligent and self aware, they can experience emotions and even have some sort of morals. It's just that there are elements in their programming that still allow humans to take control of their actions, or calibrate internal parameters to change their personality. So the story is now about sentient robot slaves and their impending fight for their freedom.

Now it is known that there were some problems through the production where filming was even stopped for a while. I can't help but think that the reason behind this was HBO execs realizing that the themes of the show - basically what is intelligence and sentience - were way above the head of their target audience, and so they forced the writers to basically skip about a season's worth of story and jump ahead to the "interesting" part. But of course do it all with the characters and storylines of the first few episodes, to keep costs and schedules in check.

So the result feels disjointed and inconsequential - and the entire show suffers for it. Now we have hosts that rebel, hosts that are in love, and it all just came out of nowhere. This is really sad for at least two reasons: first, it feels like Nolan and the writers had some great ideas that are now flushed down the drain; and second, if even HBO is unable to produce intelligent and compelling sci-fi then no-one else is there to do it.

I'll still watch the remaining 3 episodes, but I'm not sure if I'll want to stay for the second season, as it looks like it'll be about the rebelling robot stuff that we've already seen so many times before...

I haven't seen any of this yet. How does it compare to the Swedish show Real Humans? (Äkta Människor or something like that is the original name). We really enjoyed that.

I haven't seen any of this yet. How does it compare to the Swedish show Real Humans? (Äkta Människor or something like that is the original name). We really enjoyed that.

Bigger budget, more famous actors in the overall cast, some dramatic settings.

Well I haven't seen the Swedish version but they've aired the UK version called Humans:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4122068/combined

Actually I think Humans deal with the moral issues with how androids are treated more directly, whereas WW causes viewers to come up with theories, the way people did with Lost. So Humans is more like how replicants felt abused in Blade Runner.

whoops wrong thread

so westworld is pretty dope and Neegan in the walking dead sure is insane o_O;;;

Back