The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Or maybe you just don’t like female protagonists [emoji16]
Precisely the opposite! I very much enjoy, even prefer, female protagonists but the exact problem with these shows is what they are given to work with.

The writers only do a huge disservice to diversity and equality by first placing the cast into subpar stories and plots and then intentionally underlining the relative "speciality" of the casting.

Has anybody seen either of the first two episodes of The Book of Boba Fett?

Both. It’s pretty decent I’d say, even if some parts of it (the second episode in particular just told me a waaaay to familiar story) are highly unoriginal … but I don’t know all the SW backstory so I don’t know who would be offended.

It's a bit slooooowww. Nonsensical in parts as well, but you tend to expect that. Not bad, but inferior to The Mandalorian.

BOBF is pretty much ike Mandalorian without Grogu. I like it, even though turning Boba Fett suddenly to noble and heroic character seems a bit abrupt.

Star Trek: Discovery (season 4)
This just seems to get worse every season. It was pretty good for the first two seasons. I especially liked the Terran woman because she was not some woke sjw lghdtv+ I-can't-go-without-a-safe-space-for-3-seconds no personality useless character. Seems that pretty much every character in this show now has to identify with some "minority". The only thing it achieves is a rubbish story where you can't take anybody serious. They cry and wine about every little thing and take everything super personally. And those people are supposed to explore space? Hopefully it will get better but I doubt it.

Edit: spelling

Even though I generally dislike "woke" being used as a criticism since I for the most part agree with the principles the word represents (as does every Star Trek series since its inception), in the case of Discovery I'm forced to agree that it takes it way too far and everything you say above is spot on. I'm a life long hard core Star Trek fan but I think Discovery is simply atrocious. Terrible writing, terrible stories, terrible characters and terrible acting, at least from the lead. I'll keep watching it, but it'd pretty sad to see what's been happening to Star Trek for the last 4 years. Picard isn't much better although at least had its moments. I did like Lower Decks first season but found the second season a fair bit weaker, still okay though. I've not yet seen Prodigy but I don't have high hopes.

At least we have the Orville though!

BOBF is pretty much ike Mandalorian without Grogu. I like it, even though turning Boba Fett suddenly to noble and heroic character seems a bit abrupt.
I think the characterisation of Din Djarin in the Mandalorian is actually better than Boba Felt, which is actually pretty amazing given Din is almost never our of armour.

Succession is a great series, just finishing out season 2. What a crazy collection of characters in the family and inner circle!

Succession is a great series, just finishing out season 2. What a crazy collection of characters in the family and inner circle!
maybe best show on tv at the moment
afaik it will stop after s5

maybe best show on tv at the moment
afaik it will stop after s5
5 seasons would be ideal I think. A show like Ray Donovan, which is one of my all-time favorites, should have finished out the storylines after 5 seasons. Some shows shouldn't go on and on and on...

Some fun recent watches, Dexter New Blood, Succession, Station Eleven, Dix Percent.

Been also rewatching Curb Your Enthusiasm, so brilliant.

Started over watching Veep. Turns out it is enjoyable again. For a while, real life White House seemed to kill the fun out of it for good. My teenage son appreciates the sophisticated vocabulary and colourful expressions (as do I).

btw anyone know how prime/netflix/etc subscription money is paid to the series/movies?

i got subscription/premium there, but most of the time i watch thru pirated downloads (and streamed via PLEX) instead of streaming directly from the services i subscribed to. does this means my subscription money goes to the amazon instead of to the series/movies?

New btw anyone know how prime/netflix/etc subscription money is paid to the series/movies?

They are paid upfront lump sums usually like the old media deals with cable TV were done to get movies. It doesn't matter if 0 people watch it or everyone watches it for days on end.

HBOMax series Peacemaker. The first 3 episodes are out. It very much feels like a SNL skit (Saturday Night Live comedy skits always go on for too long to begin with) that then took the worst unfunny portions to turn into an 8 hour movie and then chopped into separate episodes.

I much preferred The Justice League movie over the first 3 episodes. Both versions seemed better than this.

They are paid upfront lump sums usually like the old media deals with cable TV were done to get movies. It doesn't matter if 0 people watch it or everyone watches it for days on end.
Well it most definitely does matter how much it is watched when it determines how much or if they get paid at all for the following seasons.

got subscription/premium there, but most of the time i watch thru pirated downloads (and streamed via PLEX) instead of streaming directly from the services i subscribed to. does this means my subscription money goes to the amazon instead of to the series/movies?
If you give a shit at all about the shows and the continuation of them, you need to watch it on the service, not pirated versions.

Well it most definitely does matter how much it is watched when it determines how much or if they get paid at all for the following seasons.

Yes, of course, but that is future contract negotiations. It generally doesn't impact what they got for their series in the first place. There doesn't seem to be any profit sharing arrangements for "passive media". That only seems to apply for video games. Maybe that will change in the future when newer executives take over the media content landscape.

Yes, of course, but that is future contract negotiations. It generally doesn't impact what they got for their series in the first place. There doesn't seem to be any profit sharing arrangements for "passive media". That only seems to apply for video games. Maybe that will change in the future when newer executives take over the media content landscape.
Yeah it's definitely a different paradigm for how the finances are worked out for something like Netflix. Is it all about producing constant content for customer retention and drawing new customers in? I can imagine Netflix has a very low churn rate. For households who's finances limits them to one or two subscription services a month, then it probably becomes a bigger issue as these other services like Disney+, Paramount+ etc get bigger.

Latest episode of Book of BF sprinkled more cheese with heavy hand. The Teenage Cyborg Ninja Bikers and the 'high speed' chase was pretty jarring compared to the mood and style of Mandalorian and BOBF so far...

Back