The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by London Geezer, Jul 29, 2015.

1. fehu

Veteran Regular

We can find any in-universe coherent solution, but it's not our responsibility. The authors setup the scene like turn on a lightbulb near a star, and after a second a bunch of ships, previously scattered around the galaxy, appears. Not even the time to react to the signal, communicate to the captain, startup the engine, and travel.
    In the same episode, Mary Sue piloted a federation suit inside an incredibly dense system wide asteroid field, btw a forced but cool moment. They made the error of specifying the distance and the time needed, I don't remember the details, but the resulting speed was unholy. If it needed to accelerate and decelerate, top speed was even higher.
    They just throw around stuff and cool visuals in a brain crushing mix.
    At some point, Mary Sue organized a trap for future self, and nobody had the notion that future Mary Sue known about the trap that she setup, and come prepared for it.
    I feel ashamed that I watched it all -_-

Pete, hoom and BRiT like this.
  2. Mariner

Veteran

You were obviously paying attention to the show more than I was when I watched it!

I appear to have been spending probably 80% of the time browsing through crap on my phone and 20% watching!

digitalwanderer and BRiT like this.
  3. WhiningKhan

Regular Newcomer

Last year I finally managed to watch Game of Thrones. And by Crom, I should have left the last episodes unwatched. So depressing.

As opposed to that, STD is pain from the start, then it gets worse. For brief moments I felt some hope (turned out the episodes were directed by Frakes) but I ended up just even more bitterly disappointed. Third season again had a hint of possible glimmer of hope but my back finally broke with the frigging mum popping up for the vulcan/romulan jury thing. It's... I think I need therapy if I think about the whole show any minute longer.

Pete, snarfbot, Malo and 1 other person like this.
  4. hoom

Veteran

How did you manage to gain any interest in their wellbeing in the first place? :huh:
    The writers are so fucking bad that in the attempt to make a revolutionary super-woke diverse hero cast they managed to have the only likeable & non-2D characters be the representatives of the white cis-patriarchy: Captain Pike, Captain Lorca & Admiral Vance :nope:

Oh, you'd enjoy reading The Forever War then :yes:

Yes, various actually good sci-fi authors have explored that sort of thing.

Pete likes this.
  5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Peter Hamilton and Catherine Asaro are there only writers I remember of late that have sold me on space combat depending on the technology levels at the time. No one hires physicists for consulting on dramatic space combat shows and movies though. Apart from The Expanse.

6. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

this is not a book thread but check out alastair reynolds books. his latest is great: revenger trilogy

(he has a phd in astrophysics and he worked at the european space agency)

Pete and Malo like this.
  7. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

oh and just if it wasnt clear, the trilogy has space vehicle combat

8. WhiningKhan

Regular Newcomer

Activated AppleTV+ for a year due to son's Christmas gift Iphone. Rewatched Foundation teaser. Started anxiously waiting for it.

After a month'n'half of OLED enjoyment, the most impressive Dolby Vision showcase IMO has been Man in the High Castle. Probably will not watch it further after finishing the first season (I think it is out if story already) but it looked amazing.

9. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I liked the Morning Show, Ted Whatshisname and For All Mankind a lot.

Pete likes this.
  10. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Is for all mindkind is the one where there's a bunch of mentally unstable Astronauts that fights each other?

Or it's the one with alternate history where space race never stops?

11. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Disney+ has a series called The Right Stuff about the early day of the US Space Program before Kennedy, though it fictionalizes some of the interpersonal drama for story telling purpose. Its focused on the competition between the astronauts on who gets to be first seat.

For All of Mankind is the AppleTV series with the plot line of: Exploring the possibilities that might exist if the global space race had continued and where humanity would be now.

12. eloyc

Veteran Regular

The Handmaid's Tale. I'm binge-watching it (currently at the second season). Damn, so fucked up! Some of its views are not so far from fiction, and that's scary. Also, really good actors.

London Geezer, Bludd and Laurent06 like this.
  13. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Yeah the last one with the same actor from the first season of Altered Carbon. This too can get a bit dark at times but I generally thought it was really good, with very good acting and the twists in the space race are very interesting.

I also watched Bridgerton, which was ok at first but turned into too much of a soap. I don’t think I will watch any more of that (there are a lot of books, like 8 already).

And I just finished Dix Pour Cent season 4. It is a bit like Suits but French and with actors and agents instead of lawyers. It is really good, loved all four seasons, and this last one (and could well be the last one for real) had some fun episodes with famous guest actors.

The Sigourney Weaver one ...

#2093 Arwin, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    orangpelupa likes this.
  14. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

It’s terrifying. Shame the new season has been delayed because of the pandemic, the last one left things on a hell of a cliffhanger.

eloyc likes this.
  15. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

WANDAVISION is getting VERY interesting. Brilliant episode.

16. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

I prefer the usual sitcom episodes lol

17. Mariner

Veteran

Have to admit I was pretty bored by the first couple of episodes of WandaVision. I know they were just setting the scene, but I was pleased to see something interesting has started to happen!

London Geezer likes this.
  18. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Really? I felt like the first two episodes were just very long adverts for the actual show. They're super short, and you just know that they were there to set up what is actually going on. Disney should have released the whole thing at once. While the sitcom thing will keep going, at least now we have seen what is going on in the real world.

20m once a week is not a good format, in my opinion, although I can see the commercial reasons for doing that.

19. WhiningKhan

Regular Newcomer

Nonono, I totally love the fact it was not released all at once. TV shows are intended for moderated digestion, I hate the binge culture of streaming services.

London Geezer likes this.
  20. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

To me release all episodes are the best. So depending on the show, I can binge it or watch it leisurely anytime I want