The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

If they have instantaneous subspace communications over light years, surely they could set up an array of telescopes which communicated their data via subspace?

We can find any in-universe coherent solution, but it's not our responsibility. The authors setup the scene like turn on a lightbulb near a star, and after a second a bunch of ships, previously scattered around the galaxy, appears. Not even the time to react to the signal, communicate to the captain, startup the engine, and travel.
In the same episode, Mary Sue piloted a federation suit inside an incredibly dense system wide asteroid field, btw a forced but cool moment. They made the error of specifying the distance and the time needed, I don't remember the details, but the resulting speed was unholy. If it needed to accelerate and decelerate, top speed was even higher.
They just throw around stuff and cool visuals in a brain crushing mix.
At some point, Mary Sue organized a trap for future self, and nobody had the notion that future Mary Sue known about the trap that she setup, and come prepared for it.
I feel ashamed that I watched it all -_-

Last year I finally managed to watch Game of Thrones. And by Crom, I should have left the last episodes unwatched. So depressing.

As opposed to that, STD is pain from the start, then it gets worse. For brief moments I felt some hope (turned out the episodes were directed by Frakes) but I ended up just even more bitterly disappointed. Third season again had a hint of possible glimmer of hope but my back finally broke with the frigging mum popping up for the vulcan/romulan jury thing. It's... I think I need therapy if I think about the whole show any minute longer.

lost interest in the wellbeing of any of the characters
How did you manage to gain any interest in their wellbeing in the first place? :unsure:
The writers are so fucking bad that in the attempt to make a revolutionary super-woke diverse hero cast they managed to have the only likeable & non-2D characters be the representatives of the white cis-patriarchy: Captain Pike, Captain Lorca & Admiral Vance :nope:

Talking about weapons, I don't understand why a society able to reach almost relativistic (not warp) speeds, don't build an engine with a little mass on top, and smash the other ship with planet level relativistic mass.
Oh, you'd enjoy reading The Forever War then :yes:

Something which fills a corridor with lightweight flechettes pretty much guaranteed to drop/disassemble any organic being in the way.
Yes, various actually good sci-fi authors have explored that sort of thing.

Peter Hamilton and Catherine Asaro are there only writers I remember of late that have sold me on space combat depending on the technology levels at the time. No one hires physicists for consulting on dramatic space combat shows and movies though. Apart from The Expanse.

Peter Hamilton and Catherine Asaro are there only writers I remember of late that have sold me on space combat depending on the technology levels at the time. No one hires physicists for consulting on dramatic space combat shows and movies though. Apart from The Expanse.
this is not a book thread but check out alastair reynolds books. his latest is great: revenger trilogy

(he has a phd in astrophysics and he worked at the european space agency)

Activated AppleTV+ for a year due to son's Christmas gift Iphone. Rewatched Foundation teaser. Started anxiously waiting for it.

After a month'n'half of OLED enjoyment, the most impressive Dolby Vision showcase IMO has been Man in the High Castle. Probably will not watch it further after finishing the first season (I think it is out if story already) but it looked amazing.

Is for all mindkind is the one where there's a bunch of mentally unstable Astronauts that fights each other?

Or it's the one with alternate history where space race never stops?

Disney+ has a series called The Right Stuff about the early day of the US Space Program before Kennedy, though it fictionalizes some of the interpersonal drama for story telling purpose. Its focused on the competition between the astronauts on who gets to be first seat.

For All of Mankind is the AppleTV series with the plot line of: Exploring the possibilities that might exist if the global space race had continued and where humanity would be now.

Is for all mindkind is the one where there's a bunch of mentally unstable Astronauts that fights each other?

Or it's the one with alternate history where space race never stops?

Yeah the last one with the same actor from the first season of Altered Carbon. This too can get a bit dark at times but I generally thought it was really good, with very good acting and the twists in the space race are very interesting.

I also watched Bridgerton, which was ok at first but turned into too much of a soap. I don’t think I will watch any more of that (there are a lot of books, like 8 already).

And I just finished Dix Pour Cent season 4. It is a bit like Suits but French and with actors and agents instead of lawyers. It is really good, loved all four seasons, and this last one (and could well be the last one for real) had some fun episodes with famous guest actors.

The Sigourney Weaver one ... [emoji3060]

Last edited:
The Handmaid's Tale. I'm binge-watching it (currently at the second season). Damn, so fucked up! Some of its views are not so far from fiction, and that's scary. Also, really good actors.

It’s terrifying. Shame the new season has been delayed because of the pandemic, the last one left things on a hell of a cliffhanger.

Have to admit I was pretty bored by the first couple of episodes of WandaVision. I know they were just setting the scene, but I was pleased to see something interesting has started to happen!

I prefer the usual sitcom episodes lol
Really? I felt like the first two episodes were just very long adverts for the actual show. They're super short, and you just know that they were there to set up what is actually going on. Disney should have released the whole thing at once. While the sitcom thing will keep going, at least now we have seen what is going on in the real world.

20m once a week is not a good format, in my opinion, although I can see the commercial reasons for doing that.

Nonono, I totally love the fact it was not released all at once. TV shows are intended for moderated digestion, I hate the binge culture of streaming services.

To me release all episodes are the best. So depending on the show, I can binge it or watch it leisurely anytime I want

Back