The Long Dark

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11852

Anybody else looking forward to The Long Dark, a non-zombie non-horror survival game who's sandbox mode launches in Steam Early Access in about 40 minutes?

I've been burned by Early Access shit before. If it's good I'll wait for a real release.

Sounds like Minecraft with all the fun taken out.

To be serious though, I'll keep an eye on it as it's offering something a bit different from the norm. It could potentially be very immersive and gripping, as long as the survival systems are not too annoying and they get the ambience right. Best case scenario it grips me like STALKER did. (I know this is not the same kind of game.)

The big list of the sorts of things you can die from are a bit worrying, including Dysentery. I do not relish the idea of looking in my virtual poo for blood and mucus... but then again that is infinitely better than a little text box popping up saying 'You have Dysentery'.

Handled right this be one of those great pieces of entertainment that also happen to be educational in some way. Handled wrong it could be a jarring reminder that I'm playing a spreadsheet with pretty graphics stuck on top.

Sounds like a boring version of Skyrim Frostfall with WoW graphics.

My wife and daughter love survival games, maybe they'll be interested in this one. I'd probably be more interested if it wasn't stylized graphics.

Hey DSoup. As it seems you've played it, could you tell a bit more about how having different ailments affects the experience? How is it communicated to the player?

Hey DSoup. As it seems you've played it, could you tell a bit more about how having different ailments affects the experience? How is it communicated to the player?

It's very straight forward, the game has zero HUD except when your condition is materially getting better ("warmer") or worse ("colder" or "freezing"). If you have a specific ailment it'll show it on screen like "blood loss" or "sprained ankle". Once you open the menu and navigate to first aid, it'll give you you remedy and steps, e.g. painkillser, bandage, 4h rest, and it's up to you whether you follow that to the letter or not.

It's not always necessary to follow the remedy to the letter but I bet it's suboptimal not too. You're more likely to sprain your ankle out and about and resting anywhere outside for 4h is dicey unless you're extraordinary well clothed and equipped. Pushing up can make the injury worse, though.

It's a great game, but if you're not a fan of survival games, including careful inventory management, it may not appeal and be more frustrating than fun :)

Back