The Instant On Holy Grail

Skrying said:
I turn my computers off every night. Could you please explain why I should keep them on 24/7 when they only get use for about 15 hours of the day? I've never understood the "well my computer stays on 24/7" thing, my computer can go 3 weeks without a reboot if I wanted but what's the point of wasting power and running my components when they dont need to be running?
There's a couple of schools of thought on that one. The main argument seems to be that the most stress is put on your components when you fire your rig up, leaving it on all the time eliminates that.

For me it's just a no-brainer, I got Azureus running 24/7. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
There's a couple of schools of thought on that one. The main argument seems to be that the most stress is put on your components when you fire your rig up, leaving it on all the time eliminates that.

For me it's just a no-brainer, I got Azureus running 24/7. ;)

since my rig is next to my bed.... and case is open.... no way i am keeping it 24/7.
as for boot up time.... i have XP installation that is over 2 years old, no formatting and it takes around minute to get to desktop and maybe 30-ish secs more to start AV,firewall and everything....

maybe not the fastest thing around, but i use both software registry cleaners and "regedit" when needed.... for old comp that was never formatted i think its doing pretty well....

Heh, I timed my reboot late last night and it takes my 'puter less time to boot than I can hold a hit for....so I count mine as officially, "pretty darned quick" now. :cool:

i believe the 20min start up time is due to a virus scan and spysweep at boot..... My start time is like most people here 1min or 2, to actually use the the browser. But my shut down time is getting longer now. My XP is over 2 years now also....

well.... if anyone has full virus and spyware sweep at boot every time he boots comp he is moron.... at least in my eyes....:devilish:

Back