The Great White Hope

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
On Dec 10. England's undefeated Ricky Hatton takes on the pound for pound King, Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Poor Ricky :(

Anyone here into boxing?

Not really.

It's a brutal and inhumane "sports". Still, it's marginally better than ultimate fighting though..

And the early Rocky movies were pretty cool to watch back in my youth. Ivan Drago was a great charicature portrayal of those evil russkies..lol.
Peace.

Boxing is the only orgnaized sport I follow with any real interest. Love how the people who decry it as inhumane aren't as vocal when it comes to, say, football, a sport that sees 250+ lb men slamming into each other at full runs; that's sooo humane in comparison.

For those who don't watch boxing think it's just 2 dumb guys throwing punches......it's anything but that. The technical aspect of the sport is amazing not the mention the conditioning of the fighters. They're in ridiculously good shape.

For those who don't watch boxing think it's just 2 dumb guys throwing punches......it's anything but that. The technical aspect of the sport is amazing not the mention the conditioning of the fighters. They're in ridiculously good shape.

Butterbean is a finely tuned machine.

They're in ridiculously good shape.
They are?

Some of 'em could have fooled me. :p

The stuff that bothers me about it is it's a violent sport with aggression aimed from one person onto another. The purpose being to knock the other flat on the back.

We've got enough violence as it is on this planet IMO. We don't have to make "sport" out of it as well.

And the corruption that permeates some of the highest levels of boxing isn't to be sneezed at either.

And that boxing (ie: repeated blows to the head) causes alzheimer is a known medical fact. Do we really need to create invalids where none existed before?
Peace.

They are?

Some of 'em could have fooled me.

Just because heavyweights aren't 'cut' with their body-fat ratio doesn't mean they're not in fantastic cardio condition.

The stuff that bothers me about it is it's a violent sport with aggression aimed from one person onto another. The purpose being to knock the other flat on the back.

And sports like Australian rules football and American football are tea parties?

We've got enough violence as it is on this planet IMO. We don't have to make "sport" out of it as well.

So you're all for censoring video games, eh? C'mon, defend that position here on this board, I dare you. :p

And the corruption that permeates some of the highest levels of boxing isn't to be sneezed at either.

And other organized sports have no corruption, either? From bicycling to the olympics, where there are human beings there's gonna' be corruption.

And that boxing (ie: repeated blows to the head) causes alzheimer is a known medical fact. Do we really need to create invalids where none existed before?
Peace.

The various forms of football have seen healthy men turned into quadriplegics. If you're want to be consistent in your argument, you have to also attack any organized sport that can result in physical injury and not cherry pick against one because it just so happens to offend your delicate sensibilities.

On Dec 10. England's undefeated Ricky Hatton takes on the pound for pound King, Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Poor Ricky :(
If Mayweathers' last few fights are anything to judge him by I can see Hatton beating him to a pulp.

If de la Hoya didn't run out of steam he would've beaten him as well, Hatton isn't likely to run out of energy like Oscar did.

Just because heavyweights aren't 'cut' with their body-fat ratio doesn't mean they're not in fantastic cardio condition.
Actually, what I was thinking of are all those dopehead/alcohlic punchies out there kind of like Mike Tyson etc who just don't know when to quit.

Or rather, they go for it anyway because they'll be paid lots of money regardless, knowing they'll lose.

And sports like Australian rules football and American football are tea parties?
No, never claimed otherwise. They're not about mashing the other team into a pulp however.

So you're all for censoring video games, eh?
That's a stupid thing to say, I'm disappointed in you.

Since when were the figures in video games actual people? Or real in any sense of the word for that matter.

That's why we don't need a gun license to play medal of honor etc.

And other organized sports have no corruption, either?
Flawed argument. Why would that be any kind of an excuse? Certainly heavyweight boxing is far more corrupt than, say, FIFA football.

If you're want to be consistent in your argument, you have to also attack any organized sport that can result in physical injury
No, just sports where the object of the exercise actually is to cause injury to the other, which is quite consistent with my position so far.

Besides, living in a free country I would have been fully within my rights to cherry-pick all I want. :p Don't get upset just because I'm criticizing a favorite sports of yours.

Peace.

I simply shake my head when people use Tyson as a representation of boxing. He is/was mentally unstable regardless of boxing. A bit of reading up on his past would tell you that his issues would have manifested regardless of profession. Couple that with things going wrong at every turn in his personal life and you get a perfect storm of mental unstability.

For every Tyson personality in boxing, there's a TON more good guys. Unfortunately, the media and the public love to see disasters in action, esp. gifted ones. Thus Tyson's popularity.

I'm just happy the sweet science is making a come back with one of the strongest welterweight divisions in history.

While I promoted this match up, the more interesting to watch will be the Cotto vs Mosley fight in Nov.

Back