The console losses discussion thread (or 'how companies blow billions on products')*

The $3.1 billion (actually greater) isn't being attributed to Blu-ray, so much as it's being quoted as the 'price paid' by Sony to win the format war. Plenty of those losses stem from sourcing Cell, B/C inclusion, and other miscellaneous IC expenses.

The 3.1 billion is the cost of revenue minus revenue. The greatest contributer to revenue generation is hardware. The biggest generator of cost of revenue is production costs. The most expensive components to produce are the CPU, GPU and BluRay for PS3. Guess what component is the easiest to remove, present the most biggest gap in terms of expense between it and the next most logical choice and the motivation behind its inclusion wasn't totally in the best interest of the PS3?

The reasons why alot of people are contributing that 3.1 billion dollars to BluRay is that the removal of that component would prove to be the least detrimental in terms of game performance and quality while representing the ultimate in terms of cost savings and the added reality that the PS3 was way more beneficial to BluRay than BluRay was for the PS3.

The reasons why alot of people are contributing that 3.1 billion dollars to BluRay is that the removal of that component would prove to be the least detrimental in terms of game performance and quality while representing the ultimate in terms of cost savings and the added reality that the PS3 was way more beneficial to BluRay than BluRay was for the PS3.

This is a point of semantics more than anything, because truly every post (I've made at least) has been from the angle of the loss on PS3 being either net positive or net negative relative to the eventual return on Blu-ray. With the conclusion being "we just have to wait." Now, if some of you are looking at the component costs of the Blu-ray inclusion itself, that's cool too... but it's a different conversation. I'd almost say it's a non-conversation to boot, since I have to imagine everyone is in agreement on that point... where on the point of the Blu-ray subsidy via PS3, there is room for differing views. I don't think anyone's saying that BD was better for PS3 than PS3 was for BD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The $3.1 billion (actually greater) isn't being attributed to Blu-ray, so much as it's being quoted as the 'price paid' by Sony to win the format war. Plenty of those losses stem from sourcing Cell, B/C inclusion, and other miscellaneous IC expenses.

Okay, that's what I thought. Was confused by some of the earlier posts.

A couple of questions, what was the R&D investment in BR?

Is the video game division solely responsible for this expense, contributing to the 3.1B loss?

And Carl, are you saying the R&D investment in Cell was ~400 million and was expensed through the semiconductor division, not the gaming division?

Should Sony spent $1b to buy the studios, it will have negative impact on Sony.
Yeah, this doesn't seem like a great way to go about it. Alternatively, Sony could make BRD production free and offer free encoding support.

If they use the $1B to subsidize player cost instead (like Toshiba), then it will be similar to subsidizing PS3, the game console. Might as well combine the Blu-ray player and game console into one and save logistic + manufacturing costs for 2 SKUs.
The logic behind my suggestion is that Sony would need far fewer standalones to have the same impact on BRD sales. Maybe 1/10th as many.

IMO subsidizing $300 on 3M BRD players impacts the format war several times more than $200 on 5M PS3s, and the latter only accounts for a third of what they did spend. If they wanted to keep other manufacturers in the fray, they could provide free optical assemblies during this period or have some other rebate scheme.

Is the video game division solely responsible for this expense, contributing to the 3.1B loss?
Blu-ray belongs to Sony Electronics. SCE is a component buyer. Hence Kutaragi was utterly frustrated when Sony Shiroishi Semiconductor which is a subsidiary of Sony Corp. failed to mass-produce diodes and he had to postpone the PS3 launch in Europe.

Yeah, this doesn't seem like a great way to go about it. Alternatively, Sony could make BRD production free and offer free encoding support.

The logic behind my suggestion is that Sony would need far fewer standalones to have the same impact on BRD sales. Maybe 1/10th as many.

IMO subsidizing $300 on 3M BRD players impacts the format war several times more than $200 on 5M PS3s, and the latter only accounts for a third of what they did spend. If they wanted to keep other manufacturers in the fray, they could provide free optical assemblies during this period or have some other rebate scheme.

That strategy didn't work for Toshiba. Sony needed to get players into peoples' homes stat, and the PS3 strategy worked for that. It's no use giving players away at the beginning of the market, when you need a certain scale before network effects make it worthwhile for anyone to drive to the store and pick them up, even for free.

Now that BD has tipped the market and there are nearly ten million PS3's sold worldwide, that's a big enough market to bring a lot of movies out, which sells BD players, which brings more movies out, which..

That strategy didn't work for Toshiba.
That's because Toshiba isn't Sony. Even when things were looking good for HD-DVD after the Paramount deal, Sony was selling plenty of BR standalones for a much higher price tag. I was shocked, but that's the kind of weight that the Sony brand carries.

Anyway, the point is that Toshiba would have sold much less in this alternate scenario. The majority of Toshiba's sales were based on cost, and if BR was similarly priced, HD-DVD wouldn't go anywhere.

Sony needed to get players into peoples' homes stat, and the PS3 strategy worked for that.
A huge portion of early BRD sales were from people who bought PS3 as a movie player, since it was the best. You can tell from the low attach rate. These people would have been just as likely to buy a BR standalone if it was as good and had a lower price.

Sony wouldn't need to flood homes with BR standalones as fast as they did PS3's. 1/10th the volume would have achieved the same disc sales, particularly because it would take away sales from HD-DVD.

That's because Toshiba isn't Sony. Even when things were looking good for HD-DVD after the Paramount deal, Sony was selling plenty of BR standalones for a much higher price tag. I was shocked, but that's the kind of weight that the Sony brand carries.

Perhaps that's the kind of weight the PlayStation brand had at the beginning of this generation, but there was a cottage industry in predicting that any new format backed by Sony would inevitably fail in the market. There wasn't the expectation that PlayStation would fail in the market, which gave BD cover to seed the market in numbers.

Anyway, the point is that Toshiba would have sold much less in this alternate scenario. The majority of Toshiba's sales were based on cost, and if BR was similarly priced, HD-DVD wouldn't go anywhere.

A huge portion of early BRD sales were from people who bought PS3 as a movie player, since it was the best. You can tell from the low attach rate. These people would have been just as likely to buy a BR standalone if it was as good and had a lower price.

Sony wouldn't need to flood homes with BR standalones as fast as they did PS3's. 1/10th the volume would have achieved the same disc sales, particularly because it would take away sales from HD-DVD.

Well, perhaps. Water under the bridge now in any case.

Well, like One said... the development of BD was more or less completely off of SCE's books, and thus not a factor in that $4 billion (I'm going to start defaulting to $4 billion). Then again, SCE might have invested some in Sony DADC for replication capacity or some-such... That's part of the problem, that there are just so many ways for certain outlays to be spread across a number of divisions, and that things like internal partnerships or cross-investing aren't wholly uncommon.

But yeah, think of the loss as soley proliferation related rather than BD R&D related.

And Carl, are you saying the R&D investment in Cell was ~400 million and was expensed through the semiconductor division, not the gaming division?

The R&D for Cell was a little over ~$400 million, but then again that was shared by IBM and Toshiba as well (which I forgot to mention). But that said, Sony was the greatest contributor to that funding. Now, yeah as far as Sony's spending... the funds originated from both SCE and Sony Semi. They'd be accounted for as R&D expenditure and subsequently booked as an IP asset though rather than a 'loss,' so I wouldn't point to that as part of the $4B directly. The SOI fab would have been primarily a Sony Semi expenditure and asset, with again some potential cross-investment coming in from SCE.

PS3 started out spread across a number of divisions, so it's hard to get a sense of where there might have been some net gains elsewhere that we could technically use to offset the perceived loss at SCE, or conversely perhaps even some further losses that would increase the total corporate expenditure yet again. The accounting is fairly obscured on the matter, because naturally we don't get itemized reports in the financials.

Carl, well.. Obviously I'm asking these questions because I'm concerned about the emphasis that's placed on future BR revenue (and profits) in order to offset PS3 losses when it seems to me that Cell isn't being considered.

The question was posed because I was curious as to whether or not Cell development cost was spread across multiple divisions and BR development wasn't.

If I interpret your response correctly, both investments were spread across multiple divisions, so once again I don't understand why BR is singularly targeted as the sole revenue stream that should some how have future gains that offset the $4B (I'll use that number as well) loss.

If that wasn't clear enough, I'll give you a "For Example".

The PS3 included BR but used the IBM chip instead of Cell.

The PS3 included BR but used an Intel chip instead of Cell.

The PS3 included BR but forced Cell to also act as the GPU as was originally intended instead of licensing tech from nVidia.

My point being that the inclusion of BR isn't the primary expenditure that lead to this loss.

Sony could have launched a PS3 that would have been significantly cheaper to produce (and sell at a lower price point), even with the inclusion of BR had they not made other design choices.

So I don't think this discussion is fair in that BR needs to recover all the costs of the PS3 because BR itself was only part of the reason why the PS3 was as expensive to manufacture.

I'd also like to say that I think Sony made a number of design and decision and marketing awareness choices that were bad at so many levels that I'm not trying to cover up their mistakes.

I just don't think that the inclusion of BR was "The Fundamental Flaw" in the PS3, or that it's inclusion is what is primarily responsible for the $4B loss.

I think Sony could have launched a console at the same time they currently launched, at a much lower price point for a much reduce cost, had they made other design choices.

Thats guessing, one of the reasons that many of the early BD adaptors bought the PS3 was the software upgrades. Anyone with a tiny knowledge of how these things work, would know that the PS3 would be the first Profile 2.0 player out there.

Carl, well.. Obviously I'm asking these questions because I'm concerned about the emphasis that's placed on future BR revenue (and profits) in order to offset PS3 losses when it seems to me that Cell isn't being considered.

The question was posed because I was curious as to whether or not Cell development cost was spread across multiple divisions and BR development wasn't.

If I interpret your response correctly, both investments were spread across multiple divisions, so once again I don't understand why BR is singularly targeted as the sole revenue stream that should some how have future gains that offset the $4B (I'll use that number as well) loss.

The reason BD is being targeted here in terms of its future potential revenues is because BD is the only major component for the PS3 that was truly optional from the outset. WiFi, hard drive, Bluetooth, B/C, card reader... that was all optional as well of course. But when we discuss the forward costs of BD inclusion in relation to the alternative, the difference was stark in absolute terms.

Cell vs another CPU - you still need a CPU, and the expense differential ultimately isn't going to be that great. RSX vs another GPU, again you need a GPU of some sort, and what realistically could the level of savings be? BD vs a DVD drive in the year 2006... that's a big difference though. And Sony went ahead with what was an at-that-time immature ecosystem explicitly for the possibility of future pay-off via BD income streams.

If that wasn't clear enough, I'll give you a "For Example".

The PS3 included BR but used the IBM chip instead of Cell.

The PS3 included BR but used an Intel chip instead of Cell.

The PS3 included BR but forced Cell to also act as the GPU as was originally intended instead of licensing tech from nVidia.

Well I want to clarify that the Cell was never going to be doing graphics for the PS3, even though the original patent does describe such a setup. The first GPU iteration was going to be a GS successor by Toshiba, but that chip got too crazy, which is why NVidia entered the picture (programmability).

My point being that the inclusion of BR isn't the primary expenditure that lead to this loss.

I hear what you're saying, but when Sony decided to go ahead with BD inclusion, that was a conscious decision to eat a greater loss for the sake of an external effort. In my mind that's what separates it from the other stuff, the idea that the rest was premised on core cost/benefit analysis focused on the PS3 as a console, and thus I view the losses incurred from such as in the realm of 'the norm,' whereas the BD inclusion was an extraordinary cost incurred with heavy additional losses assured simply for the reason of pushing the format.

Sony could have launched a PS3 that would have been significantly cheaper to produce (and sell at a lower price point), even with the inclusion of BR had they not made other design choices.

I agree with you here, but I think that the majority of those cost-saving decisions would have centered on the peripheral features such as hard drive and backwards compatibility. Cell was expensive, but again it's really an investment that is presently on the books as an asset rather than a loss (and thus not included in the $B losses), and RSX is pretty straightforward to me; I can't envision a solution that would have been much cheaper.

Hard drive I think was the right move for any number of reasons, and backwards compatibility, well... I enjoy mine, I have to say. Doesn't mean it was smart, but they were trying to codify a feature-set at the time whereby they wanted PS games to be a 'standard' unto themselves.

So I don't think this discussion is fair in that BR needs to recover all the costs of the PS3 because BR itself was only part of the reason why the PS3 was as expensive to manufacture.

No I don't think BD needs to recover all the costs... I certainly agree it's not responsible for all of them... I guess it's simply more a matter of if it *does* recover all the costs, then at least there's that - a sort of silver lining to what otherwise was a botched effort from the corporate standpoint.

I'd also like to say that I think Sony made a number of design and decision and marketing awareness choices that were bad at so many levels that I'm not trying to cover up their mistakes.

Oh no doubt, horrible, horrible decisions. The launch period was a total mess. Even with the expense of the console, it didn't have to be this bad. Management really dropped the ball.

I just don't think that the inclusion of BR was "The Fundamental Flaw" in the PS3, or that it's inclusion is what is primarily responsible for the $4B loss.

I think Sony could have launched a console at the same time they currently launched, at a much lower price point for a much reduce cost, had they made other design choices.

I absolutely agree with you, and I want to be clear that I'm not even calling it a flaw at all. I just think though that it is the primary 'gamble' aspect of the console, and it will take time to tell whether the gamble will have paid off or not.

so I don't see how Toshiba could have done better in this scenario.

The only unknown is how initial studio support would have been affected.

First, Toshiba would not have had a competition of PS3 eating away sales, looking nice and future proof thanks to FW updates coming from the PSN, and most importantly helping a lot of studios to make up their mind (the "power" of the PS brand to act as a Trojan horse was well known in the BRD camp).

Second, well that is a BIG unknown.

Also, if Sony won the format war without a BR enabled PS3 one or two years further down the road (in the best case this would have been the most likely result IMHO) ir would have been a big issue for the health of the format, for the chances of the format to really take over the place of DVD.

Thats guessing, one of the reasons that many of the early BD adaptors bought the PS3 was the software upgrades. Anyone with a tiny knowledge of how these things work, would know that the PS3 would be the first Profile 2.0 player out there.
So are you suggesting that people who bought a PS3 primarily for movies wouldn't have bought a cheaper BR standalone in the absence of PS3?

First, Toshiba would not have had a competition of PS3 eating away sales
You're right. They would have the much more challengine competition of cheaper BR standalones instead. ;)

Honestly, how many people would choose Toshiba over Sony if the price was similar? The only reason I bought HD-DVD was that I needed a DVD player and the HD-A1 was less than $100 extra, so I figured I'd take the risk.

Also, if Sony won the format war without a BR enabled PS3 one or two years further down the road (in the best case this would have been the most likely result IMHO) ir would have been a big issue for the health of the format, for the chances of the format to really take over the place of DVD.
Okay, this is a reasonable argument. However, we have yet to see if BR does take over DVD, and even if it does we can never know if PS3 was the reason it did.

I guess we can assume all we like, any which way. But the fact of the matter is that Sony won the HD disc war and now is in the position to profit on it, if it surpasses DVD.
Uptake of BD is probably not at a rocket pace, but when I got my first dvd player, the movies cost the same as BD movies cost now.
Sony got 12M PS3 sold worldwide, that means there are minimum of 12M BD players out there. And that is about 2 years after launch of BD?
Anybody know how many DVD players where sold worldwide, 2 years after the launch of DVD?

So are you suggesting that people who bought a PS3 primarily for movies wouldn't have bought a cheaper BR standalone in the absence of PS3?

Okay, this is a reasonable argument. However, we have yet to see if BR does take over DVD, and even if it does we can never know if PS3 was the reason it did.

Well i wouldnt have bought a Blu-Ray player as early as i did a PS3 they all sucked and were dead in the water featurewise and most that bought the PS3 knew all this.

Would BR have won without the PS3?, very doubtful.

The CEA numbers only include stand-alone players. How many PS2s were sold in the US in the first two years, take that and then add that to this and you will get US numbers.

If I am not totally lost, then DVD launched about 3 years before the PS2. And the CEA numbers say that us sold DVD players where about 1.5M units after 2 years of on the market. And we just ruin everything even more, by even more guesstiamtes, if Asia and EU had the same numbers after 2 years, its about 5M after 2 years with DVD.

Then 12M PS3 in addition to what ever standalone BD sales, I think BD players looks to have built a nice foundation to grow the BD business on.
BD will have to out compete DVD, just like DVD had to "kill" VHS. Also online stuff will probably grab some marketshare, but a plus for BD is that the old DVD collection is not dead, if you upgrade from DVD to BD, in the same way it was with VHS to DVD.

Thanks Carl.

I have a question about this:

Cell was expensive, but again it's really an investment that is presently on the books as an asset rather than a loss (and thus not included in the $B losses),

I'm still having a difficulty understanding why the development of Cell is different than the development of BR. If Cell is on the books as an asset, why isn't BR as well?

Back