The Annual E3 Nintendo press conference thread, 2017 edition [Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017]

Finally got some time to look over the Nintendo event. OK, out of the 3 console makers, I think Nintendo Wins E3. :p

And F-me! I should just give up on getting a Switch this year. This basically is going to make it impossible to get a Switch for at least a year, IMO, unless Nintendo greatly increases production. Although maybe there will be a small window of opportunity in January when people have shopping fatigue after the Holiday shopping season.

Titles I saw
  • Zenoblades 2 - I want it.
  • Kirby - looks fun, and I'll probably get it.
  • Metroid 4 - just a tease
  • Yoshi - Looks fun, and I'll probably get it.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors - I love dynasty warriors games, so I'm cautiously intrigued by this.
  • Mario + Rabbits - 2nd party exclusive. Must buy for me. I love X-com. And is X-com tactics with Mario and Rabbits quirkiness.
  • Rocket League with exclusive customizations. - Just to note another developer bringing their title to Switch and this makes sense.
  • Super Mario Odyssey - I was surprised by how interesting this looks. I don't like the Mario open world collectathon games, but this one has me wanting to play it. Just like Zelda makes me want to play an open world game (I don't like open world games, generally).
G-damnit Nintendo, why? Why couldn't you make the Switch less attractive at least for this year so I can actually have a small hope of actually buying one? :(

Also, something that this "conference" points out in a very stark contrast to Sony. Nintendo very much develop their 1st party games with Japan and only Japan in mind. If the rest of the world likes their games (which they generally do), fine. But Japan is what matters and is what they cater their game development towards. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Nintendo 1st party games that were developed specifically for the western market.

Sony on the other hand develop their 1st party games for the western market with an occasional token nod towards the Japanese market. Sony then basically hopes to get enough Japanese developers to make games for their consoles to keep them relevant in Japan.

Argh. Heading to Hawai'i for a week and a half next month and was hoping to be able to somehow snag a Switch to use on the plane, but I think I can give up on that hope now.

It's kind of weird. I haven't liked Nintendo home consoles since the SNES although I do like their portable 3DS. And even the SNES didn't make me want one as much as I want a Switch.

Regards,
SB

Finally got some time to look over the Nintendo event. OK, out of the 3 console makers, I think Nintendo Wins E3. :p

And F-me! I should just give up on getting a Switch this year. This basically is going to make it impossible to get a Switch for at least a year, IMO, unless Nintendo greatly increases production. Although maybe there will be a small window of opportunity in January when people have shopping fatigue after the Holiday shopping season.

Titles I saw
  • Zenoblades 2 - I want it.
  • Kirby - looks fun, and I'll probably get it.
  • Metroid 4 - just a tease
  • Yoshi - Looks fun, and I'll probably get it.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors - I love dynasty warriors games, so I'm cautiously intrigued by this.
  • Mario + Rabbits - 2nd party exclusive. Must buy for me. I love X-com. And is X-com tactics with Mario and Rabbits quirkiness.
  • Rocket League with exclusive customizations. - Just to note another developer bringing their title to Switch and this makes sense.
  • Super Mario Odyssey - I was surprised by how interesting this looks. I don't like the Mario open world collectathon games, but this one has me wanting to play it. Just like Zelda makes me want to play an open world game (I don't like open world games, generally).
G-damnit Nintendo, why? Why couldn't you make the Switch less attractive at least for this year so I can actually have a small hope of actually buying one? :(

Also, something that this "conference" points out in a very stark contrast to Sony. Nintendo very much develop their 1st party games with Japan and only Japan in mind. If the rest of the world likes their games (which they generally do), fine. But Japan is what matters and is what they cater their game development towards. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Nintendo 1st party games that were developed specifically for the western market.

Sony on the other hand develop their 1st party games for the western market with an occasional token nod towards the Japanese market. Sony then basically hopes to get enough Japanese developers to make games for their consoles to keep them relevant in Japan.

Argh. Heading to Hawai'i for a week and a half next month and was hoping to be able to somehow snag a Switch to use on the plane, but I think I can give up on that hope now.

It's kind of weird. I haven't liked Nintendo home consoles since the SNES although I do like their portable 3DS. And even the SNES didn't make me want one as much as I want a Switch.

Regards,
SB
Add those Pokemon games, Beyond Good and Evil and rocket league (with cross play) as well to your list.
It was a strong presentation, even without them promoting Splatoon2 and ARMS.
I think Nintendo will have some difficulties filling console demand.

Last edited:
Just from the list of games I read, they win. If a bunch of the stuff releases in 2018, I may actually think about getting a switch. I'm desperate to play Zelda.
You should!
I bought the console out of curiosity and a desire to test Zelda and came away super impressed. Playing Mass Effect Andromeda afterwards really drove home the point.

It's a masterpiece.

fly to NZ, walk into a shop, leave with a switch. I even saw them advertised with a $20 pricecut last month

While I get the point that NZ doesn't find the Switch or its games particularly attractive, flying down there defeats the purpose of getting one at MSRP. :D

Assuming you don't care about getting one at MSRP it's not that difficult to get one at a greatly inflated price. At this very moment it's anywhere from 420-425 USD on Amazon, which is still cheaper than flying to NZ. ;)

That said, I'd love to take a vacation down there at some point. Too bad it isn't this summer, otherwise I'd be buying a Switch down there post haste.

Regards,
SB

For me, Super Mario Odyssey looked very good. But that's it. Xenoblade 2 looked worst than the one on Wii U, but the gameplay seems more story driver, which is good.

The other stuff look ok, but, not worth buying a new console imo (especially since I don't play on the go)

I was a little disappointed by the lack of indie games. They have an obvious excuse for not having western AAA's...but indie games?...this is one category they need to go hard in trying to get most of the games on their platform.

fly to NZ, walk into a shop, leave with a switch. I even saw them advertised with a $20 pricecut last month

"Fly to NZ"...checks cheapassplanetickets.com...Damn!!!

Maybe if I had a few months of free time I could stow a way or trade handjobs and cigarettes to make my way to NZ and back on board a merchant marine ship. That's the only way I could think of that would make traveling to NZ to buy a Switch financially feasible. But I don't have the time nor the desire to give out handjobs.

LOL

But I don't have the time nor the desire to give out handjobs.
maybe you could achieve your goal quicker by offering upgraded sexual favours, Im no expect but handjobs is prolly priced low down on the list, hell you dont even need to get naked, alternately ask someone you know going there to grab one on the way back. It was the same with the Wii craze as well, whilst the rest of the world couldnt find them, they were easily available in shops here, pity Im flying via Qatar next month I could of gone via LAX with 10 switches and onsold them and paid for my planeticket, suppose I'll just have to do what I normally do & grab a packet of tobacco for $20 and sell it for $100 when I get back (they banned cig cartons last year :(, which you could sell for $180)

I was a little disappointed by the lack of indie games. They have an obvious excuse for not having western AAA's...but indie games?...this is one category they need to go hard in trying to get most of the games on their platform.

They didn't show many on their pre-recorded conference, but there's a lot of indie titles coming to the Switch. Many of which are console exclusive (probably just timed, but who knows). Hell, there's a lot of indie titles already released.

And unlike both Sony and soon to be Microsoft, it's all curated, so probably no bottom of the barrel crap.

Regards,
SB

Back