The Annual E3 Nintendo Non-Event press conference thread, 2014 edition

How much experience would those team members have with such hardware? These are folks that are generally used to much lower-end systems and not used to working with massive bandwidth, memory and shader power?

Are you suggesting they couldn't figure out how to use more power? They might not make the best use of it on their first try, but on much more powerful hardware it could only look better than what they are doing now.

Hyrule Warriors looked pretty cool:

TweC8Vn.png

Was anything shown making essential use of the Wuublet touch-screen? the little I've seen seems a perfect fit for conventional controller. Maybe in 2015 Nintendo can pull an MS and drop their USP and release a cheap box for their exclusives?

Was anything shown making essential use of the Wuublet touch-screen?
Not much!

The squid-ink-game used wuublet to some degree, and there's the Miyamoto (experimental?) games, but even Nintendo itself seems to have a lot of trouble using the thing effectively.

Maybe in 2015 Nintendo can pull an MS and drop their USP and release a cheap box for their exclusives?
I don't think that's their style. I think they'll hold out until the bitter end, or at least until they get a decent set of software out that can get the ball rolling somewhat rapidly at least.

The squid-ink-game actually looks rather amazing btw and could be a monster hit amongst those enjoying multiplayer gaming. The cute art style should also make the game more universally acceptable, heh, but even with the cute bogging it down it looks REALLY GOOD actually. Very very well designed graphics, and gameplay looks super tight and slick (no pun intended.)

Eight people total isn't on the scale of say, Battlefield perhaps which has like, up to 64 players or something? However, it's enough to create interesting team dynamics, and arguably, tighter and more - ahem - fluid team dynamics. Too bad Nintendo's voice chat functionality and overall online support is so fucking BAD. They really should have built voice chat into the wuu itself and supported the use of the built-in wuublet mic and speakers; I can't believe they dropped the ball on that one. Instead they wanted to force people to shell out for a separate headset. Un-fucking-believable!

It's totally integral in these types of games, so I'm assuming voice chat will still be included for this particular game, but not having global VC in all titles so that friends can talk across games or in the menus and so on is a terrible design fail.

Anyway, to me, this game looks like a bigger hit for Wuu than Mario Kart. Not everyone enjoys racing, while shooters are almost unversal in their appeal amongst modern gamers. With playable characters including both boy- and girl-octopii, it will also have cross-gender appeal (as well as octopus appeal; now Nintendo just has to release a water-resistant wuublet and molluscs everywhere will be able to join in on the action! :LOL:)

yah that squid game really looks interesting and have fresh mechanic. It makes me remember portal 2 with their paint.

hmm, maybe there will be "bounchy" ink too in this wiiu game?

Not much!

The squid-ink-game used wuublet to some degree, and there's the Miyamoto (experimental?) games, but even Nintendo itself seems to have a lot of trouble using the thing effectively.

I don't think that's their style. I think they'll hold out until the bitter end, or at least until they get a decent set of software out that can get the ball rolling somewhat rapidly at least.

The squid-ink-game actually looks rather amazing btw and could be a monster hit amongst those enjoying multiplayer gaming. The cute art style should also make the game more universally acceptable, heh, but even with the cute bogging it down it looks REALLY GOOD actually. Very very well designed graphics, and gameplay looks super tight and slick (no pun intended.)

Eight people total isn't on the scale of say, Battlefield perhaps which has like, up to 64 players or something? However, it's enough to create interesting team dynamics, and arguably, tighter and more - ahem - fluid team dynamics. Too bad Nintendo's voice chat functionality and overall online support is so fucking BAD. They really should have built voice chat into the wuu itself and supported the use of the built-in wuublet mic and speakers; I can't believe they dropped the ball on that one. Instead they wanted to force people to shell out for a separate headset. Un-fucking-believable!

It's totally integral in these types of games, so I'm assuming voice chat will still be included for this particular game, but not having global VC in all titles so that friends can talk across games or in the menus and so on is a terrible design fail.

Anyway, to me, this game looks like a bigger hit for Wuu than Mario Kart. Not everyone enjoys racing, while shooters are almost unversal in their appeal amongst modern gamers. With playable characters including both boy- and girl-octopii, it will also have cross-gender appeal (as well as octopus appeal; now Nintendo just has to release a water-resistant wuublet and molluscs everywhere will be able to join in on the action! :LOL:)
I agree on voice chat purely for teamwork purposes in games that require it. That said, I don't mind a lack of voice chat if there was a in-game directing/cue system to communicate with squadmates. Voice chat doesn't for Nintendo's curated style and the audience they automatically appeal to, but they do need to find a way separate and allow those things for older gamers who don't need (let alone want) that kind of protection.

Back