The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2015 edition

I was watching the viewer count on the YT stream, capped out around 260k. I'll be interested how that compares to Sony's later.

Sony should be the favorite there because of more popularity this gen and I think the 8PM start time would help a lot with USA viewership rather than when evrerybody is at work.

Meanwhile in EU: :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

I wonder why BC so late in the game, I guess they want to augment the library with 360 games, but is this real BC? If so why not at launch?

Spencer wasn't in charge at the time they made launch decisions. I bet it was the 1st thing they had them do once he was in charge. Something like that is not an easy task. Love that I don't need the disc if I already have them digitally. Good thing about Games with Gold. Now I can play the 360 version of Tomb Raider on my XB1 & not have to worry about them giving me the XB1 version for free. If you downloaded all the past 360 Games With Gold games you'll instantly be able to play about $1000 worth of extra games once BC is working. :)

Tommy McClain

I still don't get this NA vs EU gamer thing. Microsoft doesn't cater to NA. I'm gonna let you in on a secret.

NA gamers play: Madden, COD, GTA, Forza
EU gamers play: FIFA, COD, GTA, Gran Turismo

The sales figures don't lie.

Microsoft chose to focus on games, for the most part, that are releasing relatively soon. So we saw games that we've seen before, just in a lot more detail. We saw gameplay for a bunch we hadn't seen before. To me, that's a good choice. I don't care if they show a game that comes out in 2 or 3 years. Show me the games I can get within the next year. That's the beauty of the Fallout 4 announcement from Bethesda. It's actually available this year. No endless hype. Also, MS did a good job of picking the games they'd show on stage. For the most part they highlighted some benefit to the console, like Fallout 4 mods, and Rainbow Six bundling backwards compatible games.

Thank goodness the age of Don Mattrick is now officially over with BC. I can't believe that guy said buy a 360 if you want to play 360 games.

Can someone get me up to speed on a couple of points? 1) Was OVR officially described as a VR headset for XB1? 2) What were the Big Secrets? EG seems light. Was the Rare collection, or Rare game, what some of the rumours were suggesting? Or wasn't there any big secret (which has been my expectation of E3 all along!)?

Wow I paused for quite a bit, avoided the comments here. Hit refresh to see how many pages it had jumped (two), pressed play and saw two more games. Safe conference for sure, I will say a bit boring because nothing surprised me other than BC.

Rare - ??? I hope they show more this week, otherwise I am not sure I want it. So many other IP that would have been better.
Halo 5 - not enough shown yet
BC - guess I need to go read the preview forums
Forza 6 - where was the meat?

Safe, well done show, bit missing on the actual gameplay. I give it three.75 Meh's out of Five. LOL

Oh Elite Dangerous later today! Epic, bet they did that to keep me from watching other shows. Haha!

whole conference I think, missed it though I saw the Minecraft and Halo bits, loved the Minecraft AR for pure geekdom and think kids will truly explode their heads. Will watch the full thing now.

Or you could just play your 360 games...on your existing 360? The whole idea that the masses even want BC is such nonsense.

It's a feature that sounds good in a vacuum because nobody ever considers the substantial cost.

I have no plans on playing my old 360 games using BC. I do have plans of playing a bunch of 360 titles that I have never played depending on how BC is implemented and how robust the library becomes.

The average attached rate is 8-10 titles for most consoles which means your average gamer only touches about ~1% of the library. If they move a good chunk of the most popular titles, offer them digitally in the Xbox one marketplace and sell them at a reasonable prices, I will probably go back and indulge in dozens of titles I never had the time or interest in playing.

We are not limited to physical distribution anymore, which limited the utility of BC to playing your old games or may be digging through some bargain bins looking for something interesting. So, how we look at BC can move beyond a feature that lets you play your old games on your new gen console.

Can someone get me up to speed on a couple of points? 1) Was OVR officially described as a VR headset for XB1?

Not sure how it was described, but:
- windows 10 will support the Vive.
- the rift virtual screen thing.
- the rift will ship with an XB1 controller (I have no idea why they mentioned this o_O).
- the hololens AR demo.

If that appears to make no sense, then you've understood that bit perfectly.

2) What were the Big Secrets? EG seems light. Was the Rare collection, or Rare game, what some of the rumours were suggesting? Or wasn't there any big secret (which has been my expectation of E3 all along!)?
The "Backwards compatibility" thing.

The holo lens demo had opacity and perfect background rejection, which is not possible with any current methods using holographic gratings. This seems misleading, it's the big problem with AR right now, it can only add light over the background.

Personally I wasn't disappointed with the games. Pretty spot on for me. It had stuff I like & stuff I don't like & stuff I'm not sure I like yet. Biggest news to me is the Backward Compatibility. Thank goodness. Now lets see them update the dashboard to be fully 360 compliant with the cross voice chat, background music, better snap center, etc. Can't wait for Halo 5! Guess I better finish that last level of Halo 4. LOL That brings up something. What about my 360 game saves. If I upload them to the cloud do I get them on the XB1?

Tommy McClain

Back