The AMD Execution Thread [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they weren't BSing with the whole highly scalable mantra. Huge news for AMD non the less, considering both Nvidia and Intel failed to get any traction in mobile space.

Huge news for AMD non the less, considering both Nvidia and Intel failed to get any traction in mobile space.
It's even bigger news given that AMD exited GPU IP licensing business ages ago.
A G E S
Literally the last thing I'd ever expected them to do

It's even bigger news given that AMD exited GPU IP licensing business ages ago.
A G E S
Literally the last thing I'd ever expected them to do
Actually I'm pretty sure it wasn't many gens ago when AMD said they'd be willing to license their graphics IP out, not just do semi-customs. Also there were rumors about Samsung licensing AMD gfx IP already in 2016.

Are you sure about this? Last I checked a review, AMD's performance was kind of all over the place, with some good, competitive results, and some really bad ones (compared to NVIDIA).

I run several & many gaming rigs. A mismatch of sockets, memories, cards, etc.

And I prefer AMD's Radeon Driver Suite over Nvidia's Geforce Experience. It is just a better over-all experience(installing/uninstalling. And as new games have to be patched on (again) several different gaming systems, for each patch/release, things seems to be much smoother of an experience with AMD. Nvidia driver's always messed with audio & other system set ups, etc. It never use to be this way 5-6 years ago Nvidia had much polish and solid stuff. I would like to add that nVidia's driver package's intrusive nature, is off-putting. AMD's driver suite is inviting and welcomed.

My perspective.

True. But AMD has yet to tell everybody what is exactly RDNA compared to GCN (or what defines GCN for that matter.... :rolleyes:)

super-SIMD...
Meaning it can do both GCN and/or RDNA simultaneously... similar in concept to what a-sync compute is, but for libs.

GCN compute + RDNA = Navi.

AMD Starts Selling Ryzen 9 3900X and Radeon RX 5700 directly to consumers
AMD on their website started direct sales of processors and graphics cards, much like what NVIDIA is doing with he founder edition graphics cards. So if you yearn that Ryzen 9 3900X and there is no availability in etail, hey check the AMD on stock and you can purchase it there.

Links to the sales pages:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
AMD Radeon RX 5700
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...and-radeon-rx-5700-directly-to-consumers.html

AMD Starts Selling Ryzen 9 3900X and Radeon RX 5700 directly to consumers

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...and-radeon-rx-5700-directly-to-consumers.html

It's a good move from consumer point of view as that should ensure somewhat close to MSRP pricing across all shops during product launches. I fully expect later in a product life to get better deals through resellers due to how market works.

I'm happy with that!
Also notice AMD only sells select products directly, clearly they don't want to anger their partners too much.

Worth noting that they list prices without VAT, VAT will be added once you get to the final stages of ordering.

Worth noting that they list prices without VAT, VAT will be added once you get to the final stages of ordering.

True, but they add VAT relevant to your country of residence.

What I was expecting with 3900X shortages was price gouging from known etailers, but we had almost none! This is a really welcome side effect of that approach from AMD.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-nvidia-gpu-market-share-report,40266.html

Jon Peddie Research has released its Q2 2019 GPU market results, and it's official: AMD shipped more graphics unit than Nvidia for the first time in five years, thanks to AMD shipping almost 9.85% more GPUs than in Q1 (by comparison, Nvidia sold about the same). The market share data represents cumulative shipments of all types of desktop PC graphics units, including those present in processors, which is an area that Nvidia doesn't have a significant market presence.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-nvidia-gpu-market-share-report,40266.html

Jon Peddie Research has released its Q2 2019 GPU market results, and it's official: AMD shipped more graphics unit than Nvidia for the first time in five years, thanks to AMD shipping almost 9.85% more GPUs than in Q1 (by comparison, Nvidia sold about the same). The market share data represents cumulative shipments of all types of desktop PC graphics units, including those present in processors, which is an area that Nvidia doesn't have a significant market presence.

This bit I found interesting...

Jon Peddie Research also reports that discrete GPUs were in fewer PCs than last quarter (from 29% to 27%), that the PC market increased by 9.25% since last quarter, and that AIB sales actually declined 16.62% since last quarter. Despite the overall market growth, Nvidia didn't ship significantly more or less GPUs than before, unlike AMD, which had a large jump in sales.

PC market grew while discrete graphics shipments fell. IMO, the high price of Turing cards is shrinking the PC gaming market. High prices are good for NV's revenue and profits, but aren't doing anything to encourage people to continue gaming on PC. In fact, it's likely doing the exact opposite in pushing people to go console instead.

It's amusing that NV only focuses on how much revenue Turing brings in when making comparisons, and almost never mentions units shipped. If NV can make more money off of fewer people, that's all good to them.

Regards,
SB

AMD shipped more graphics unit than Nvidia for the first time in five years,
That's the effect of Ryzen APUs finally catching up, after many years of AMD not having competitive CPU designs.

PC market grew while discrete graphics shipments fell
I think that's the effect of seasonality, Q2 is normally the weakest.

It's amusing that NV only focuses on how much revenue Turing brings in when making comparisons, and almost never mentions units shipped.
In Q1 NVIDIA shipped way more than AMD. I think we are seeing the effect of some sort of late inventory clearance.

Q4 2018: NVIDIA 81%, AMD 18%

aib-001-q4.PNG

Q1 2019: NVIDIA 77%, AMD 22%
Q2 2019: NVIDIA 68%, AMD 32%

AIB-PR-Q219-001.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back