The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying TSMC is in China!?!?! :oops: :runaway:
This time around, they blame China.
No. silent guy is reiterating exactly what AMD are blaming this quarters bad fortunes upon
Advanced Micro Devices forecast first-quarter revenue below analysts' estimates, due to lower demand for its graphic chips used in consoles and an economic slowdown in China.

Not sure how you managed to shoehorn TSMC into the equation
If their 14nm product line was already on the market they'd probably have higher revenue.
Samsung/GloFo aren't up to speed with 14nmLPP, yet its TSMC's fault for not being up to speed with their own process?

No. silent guy is reiterating exactly what AMD are blaming this quarters bad fortunes upon

Not sure how you managed to shoehorn TSMC into the equation

Samsung/GloFo aren't up to speed with 14nmLPP, yet its TSMC's fault for not being up to speed with their own process?
I was making a joke. The PRC leadership wants to annex Taiwan and regularly claims that Taiwan is part of China. I figure silent guy is from NA or EU so I was pretending he I was up in arms and aghast.

Mistakenly thought that TSMC which has produced AMD latest gpus was sourced to make its next line of apus. But this post was made as a joke, not as a researched state of fact I was announcing on the forum.
http://wccftech.com/amd-contracts-tsmc-produce-zen-16nm-woes-14nm-process-troubles-globalfoundries/

Last edited:
I was making a joke. The PRC leadership wants to annex Taiwan and regularly claims that Taiwan is part of China.
Ah...I see...sort of. A little esoteric for me. China have been bleating on about "One China" for almost a quarter of a century. I didn't realize it was still news.
Mistakenly thought that TSMC which has produced AMD latest gpus was sourced to make its next line of apus. But this post was made as a joke, not as a researched state of fact I was announcing on the forum.
http://wccftech.com/amd-contracts-tsmc-produce-zen-16nm-woes-14nm-process-troubles-globalfoundries/
Old article from a gossip and clickbait site? Is this part of the joke- a run-on gag? It wasn't that long ago that AMD's Mark Papermaster all but confirmed GloFo as a primary source:
FinFET technology is expected to play a critical foundational role across multiple AMD product lines, starting in 2016,” said Mark Papermaster, senior vice president and chief technology officer at AMD. “Globalfoundries has worked tirelessly to reach this key milestone on its 14LPP process. We look forward to Globalfoundries’ continued progress towards full production readiness and expect to leverage the advanced 14LPP process technology across a broad set of our CPU, APU, and GPU products.

I would say that the Papermaster quote is, like most corporate speak, talking big while saying little.
I actually would want to fall back to a transcript to make sure there wasn't a break between the first quote and the next.
FinFET will play a critical role across more than one product. Didn't say GF FinFET.
They look forward to GF making progress to a usable process, and expect to use it across some range of more than one product, possibly at least three since he gave three categories.
Beyond that, I wouldn't say the statements say what the ratio might be. He actually does need to leave leeway in case they have to panic-drop a process like they did with 20nm.

It seems likely that AMD needs to use GF heavily, but it's taken sharp turns to TSMC when it had to.

I thought AMD was more exposed in China and other growth markets to such a downturn, given its non-premium product range and pricing for cost-sensitive consumers and a general lack of presence in ranges or markets that are more robust due to its being soundly beaten in them.

It seems likely that AMD needs to use GF heavily, but it's taken sharp turns to TSMC when it had to.
It would be contemplating suicide to do anything else. With Glofo's execution and process ramps in the past I would sincerely doubt AMD would close the door on their only other serious alternative if Glofo's actions didn't match up to their words.

The point I was attempting to make - and obviously failing miserably at, was which is more credible - a four month old article from wccftech tagged rumor, or a two month old article sourcing both the vendor and the manufacturer?
I actually would want to fall back to a transcript to make sure there wasn't a break between the first quote and the next.
Well, virtually the whole tech reporting world took the quote from the Glofo press release. If Globalfoundries are playing fast and loose with their vendors statements I would think some clarification might have surfaced by now.

It would be contemplating suicide to do anything else. With Glofo's execution and process ramps in the past I would sincerely doubt AMD would close the door on their only other serious alternative if Glofo's actions didn't match up to their words.
In this case though, wouldn't shifting to Samsung seem like an easier transition than going to TSMC?

In this case though, wouldn't shifting to Samsung seem like an easier transition than going to TSMC?

They aren't shifting to samsung, they are two processes in GF and Samsung are the same, I would expect same chips coming from both those foundries, and TSMC will be for another chip.

They aren't shifting to samsung, they are two processes in GF and Samsung are the same, I would expect same chips coming from both those foundries, and TSMC will be for another chip.
If the same chips will come from both foundries, you still need extensive qualification for each of them. Even when you produce from one foundry, you qualify the silicon for one particular fab. If they move production to another fab (of the same foundry), you need to do a certain amount of qualification again...

I saw some articles indicating the implementations are not actually copy-exact, and were described by the foundries as copy-smart.
GF already had disparate equipment in place prior to the switch to Samsung's process, and adjustments were made in lieu of buying new equipment and ripping out what was in place.

It seems like that could be a decision made for the sake of costs and reducing the delay between Samsung and GF to what we've already seen.

I saw some articles indicating the implementations are not actually copy-exact, and were described by the foundries as copy-smart.
GF already had disparate equipment in place prior to the switch to Samsung's process, and adjustments were made in lieu of buying new equipment and ripping out what was in place.

It seems like that could be a decision made for the sake of costs and reducing the delay between Samsung and GF to what we've already seen.
Regarless AMD is reportedly using Samsung, too.

If the same chips will come from both foundries, you still need extensive qualification for each of them. Even when you produce from one foundry, you qualify the silicon for one particular fab. If they move production to another fab (of the same foundry), you need to do a certain amount of qualification again...

Yep I understand that, but I think they will, just a gut feeling, nothing really backing it up. Its possible they will still do lets say mid range on Samsung and low end on GF's things like that, but they surely will use both fabs.

At the RTG Summit in December this was also discussed. AMD said that while the processes are very similar (esp. between GloFo and Samsung) you'd still need separate masks for both, making it a matter of cost.

Makes sense to dual-fab chips for very high volume, i.e. gaming console chips.

In fact, theoretically the main chip in a "PS4 Slim" or "Xbox Slim" could be triple-sourced?, although doing it both on Samsung and GloFo would be useful already.

Makes sense to dual-fab chips for very high volume, i.e. gaming console chips.

In fact, theoretically the main chip in a "PS4 Slim" or "Xbox Slim" could be triple-sourced?, although doing it both on Samsung and GloFo would be useful already.
I doubt they'd go as far as use actually different processes for 1 chip, so dual-sourced at max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back