The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple announced a new imac line today at a press conference, all featuring the hd 2400/2600 chips. That's a pretty significant oem win I guess.

Edit: Just a comment that it seems like ATI is getting back some of the low to mid range GPU business they lost during Nvidia's 6600/7600 era. Even the within htpc crowd at avsforum, the 2400/2600 are getting the kind of attention that the x1300/1600 never got.

I ass-ume the sole reason is that they're dirt cheap since noone wants them.

Apple announced a new imac line today at a press conference, all featuring the hd 2400/2600 chips. That's a pretty significant oem win I guess.

Edit: Just a comment that it seems like ATI is getting back some of the low to mid range GPU business they lost during Nvidia's 6600/7600 era. Even the within htpc crowd at avsforum, the 2400/2600 are getting the kind of attention that the x1300/1600 never got.

still waiting to see those 60% back to school OEM deals :D

No, hd2400/hd2600 cards passing very good for imac.

Opps was looking at the mac pro, so Apple is what 4% of over all sales, the only other place I have seen them in a large OEM is, HP's business line up, 1 laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
But still huge, with annual revenues of at least $50 Billion, millions of vehicles sold every year and half the Japanese market. A project like the Supra is a drop in the bucket. Certainly far less than what Toyota spends on auto racing, especially after Toyota entered Formula 1.

once again, talking about 1993 here... when they had 7-8% of the global market share, slumping profits and layoff rumors... and not spending billions on a racing team(that sux)

50 billion in sales, i don't think it was that high, maybe it was, they don't have sec filings that far back on their site... but i did find an article where they made a wimpy 1.5 billion in profits for the first 1/2 of the year. When you talk about rnd, logistics, and rather complicated manufacturing processes, it's not hard to sink millions into a project. 2-3% of your earnings is alot for shareholders to handle. I didn't think it was a bad example.

I still think amd needs to restructure a bit, cause they are really hurting right now, maybe dropping some segments isn't such a bad idea after all...

once again, talking about 1993 here... when they had 7-8% of the global market share, slumping profits and layoff rumors... and not spending billions on a racing team(that sux)

50 billion in sales, i don't think it was that high, maybe it was, they don't have sec filings that far back on their site... but i did find an article where they made a wimpy 1.5 billion in profits for the first 1/2 of the year..
That 1.5B for half a year in 1993 was more than any of its competitors and even in 1993, Toyota was the most feared, most efficient car company in the world.

When you talk about rnd, logistics, and rather complicated manufacturing processes, it's not hard to sink millions into a project. 2-3% of your earnings is alot for shareholders to handle. I didn't think it was a bad example.
I don't think it had any relevance. It's merely a coincidence in time. Just like Toyota current period of incredible growth started in 2002, the same year as their Formula 1 team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, don't make comparisons to the car industry, it makes no sense whatsoever. There are totally different targets and costs involved and much different limits and environment to operate within. Not even remotely comparable, neither financially nor tech-wise.

Toyota have the most efficient production and development worldwide and that's where they make money. Also they tend to go the "evolution instead of revolution" way and use proven tech as long as possible with mere incremental developments instead of pushing the limits of the technology. Their development is more like "waterfall", where they start with dozens of concepts and filter that down to 1-2 through initial testing and constant comparisons and reevaluations, then they go full force with what's most viable and sturdy. Obviously it was the right choice for them, since they're the biggest car manufacturer worldwide now (they left GM behind as of this year, for the first time in history GM is not the leader)

I guess it's not as good as paying it from your own bank account like I do for my credit card month in and month out. It reminds me too much of Carol Vordeman and Ocean Finance to be honest.

More and more I am seeing this battle as AMD in a Mitsubishi Zero circa 1943 and Intel as the US Pacific fleet of the same time period.

Vista's Aero alone places much, much higher requirements on average GPU spec than anything we've previously seen in the mainstream.

meh. Aero runs absolutely buttery smooth on a GMA950. Aero seems to chew up CPU, however, but in a non-obtrusive way. Watch your dual core's usage when you resize windows. Vista is really very multithreaded and the OS runs much better on a Core 2 Duo than a Athlon 64 single core. I've seen it meeeeself!

I wanna give it a whirl with a R9700 on a Pentium II. :)

Hey I wonder if AMD/ATI falls apart whether those engineers will return to Matrox, down the street, and make the long-awaited G800! Heh heh heh

Back on the financials question concerning AMD's latest issue of notes.

This is being done almost solely to pay off the Morgan Stanley loan.

Why is it being done now?

Was the term up?
Did the Morgan Stanley call it in?

AMD likely suppresses the prices on the mid-range and value lines.
It is also likely that the rate of product introductions would slow without the competition.

The doomsday scenario where chip prices would skyrocket and technology would stagnate for years would most likely not happen, as it would butcher sales in saturated markets that would just hold off on upgrading.

I'll be very interested to see what graphics numbers for 3Q look like. I think the evidence is accumulating that ATI is making major inroads low/mid this time around. Tho having said that, I'm still expecting AMD to keep writing off some goodwill charges against the merger for another quarter or so. I don't see them going from $78M to 0 in one quarter on that. It doesn't fit the trendline. But we'll see --at any rate I think graphics might actually be starting to try to pull the submarine out of that dive they've been in instead of adding to it.

OEMs are only part of the equation. And its not like ATI low-end market share was a problem. One can easily argue that NVIDIA might have a more competitive part there now than with the NV40/G70 series. 3Q will be interesting, and perhaps ATI is making a dent, but then again one thing is sure - NVIDIA products flew off the shelves in 2Q and I don't know why that wouldn't continue to be the case. And if there are share gains by ATI, how much of that would be a result of potential shortages at NVIDIA versus ongoing demand.

Go look at our most recent Jon Peddie Research on 1Q vs 2Q gpu shipments, and ask yourself why that would be true. Hard to have much "Vista Effect" with OEMs when they don't have any mainstream DX10 parts, as was the case for 1Q. Then look at NV's own Mercury Research findings for 2Q on DX10. Then go look at the public launch dates for both IHVs mainstream DX10 parts. Then wander around a few other news sites recently. Connect the dots and they add up to AMD making a healthy comeback in mid-range graphics in 3Q.

The amazing thing about NV's DX10 Mercury numbers for 2Q isn't how high they were, but how could they be that low without any visible mainstream competition. In theory 2400 and 2600 weren't available until June 28th, two days before the end of the quarter. The reasonable answer is that 2400 and 2600 were selling like hotcakes to OEMs for weeks before the channel launch. I think it's pretty well impossible AMD's discrete numbers don't get a healthy bump up for 3Q, and they should do okay on margins. Even NV has been saying that ATI is more competitive in the mid-range this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back