The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering about the AMD's situation regarding Windows 8. All the tablets and laptops released thus far (AFAIK) contain either Intel Atom or Intel Ivy Bridge. I think it's going to be a huge loss to the company if they're going to miss the whole Windows 8 release.

amd can't execute worth a damn thats why they aren't in anything. Trinity isn't bad but they have no sucessors to the rest of their moble platform .

I would love to have seen an a6 in the surface but it wont happen

Yeah if only it could compete with Ivy.

trinity is much more balanced than ivy bridge. on my tablet i will be playing games as often as working on spread sheets ... most likely much more often. So it would have been nice to have acess to something better than the hd 4000 .

Or a bullish and aggressive rescheduling of the roadmap, leading to the inevitable cancellation of some interim/transitional products.

Whichever way you want to spin it.

I agree. The rumored gains are nice, but AMD's main problem has always been execution. Keller being back in charge is a very hopeful change though.

Keller's the greatest CPU architect of all time?
Well, I guess that means there's no pressure then.

That piece looks like it has at best a muddled understanding of some of the things we already know or strongly suspect, so I don't know how much to lend credence to anything new this text brings to the discussion.

That piece looks like it has at best a muddled understanding of some of the things we already know or strongly suspect, so I don't know how much to lend credence to anything new this text brings to the discussion.

It's filled w/ sensation and written w/o citations, but for what it's worth, Keller is still very very good.

Out of curiosity I looked at the author's name, and I saw Theo Valich. ;)

I'd expect this to have been a tongue in cheek reference to Kanye...then again, given the author, probably not. Sadly, this gunk seems to have proliferated, and everybody is waiting for the savior Jim Keller to bestow his magical light upon the ignorant AMD engineers and lead them to victory. Kindof like how it was Bergman, Skinner and some other marketing guy that saved ATI by designing and implementing rather impressive GPUs. Yep yep.

Nah, Ars is blowing this out of proportion. The stock dropped from $4.0 to $3.5, but then bounced back up to $3.7. No big deal.

When the new boss fires the CFO, it often means that some kind of "creative" accounting had been going on. This alone is worth the price drop.

As to the BSN article, CFO is typically sort of like the XO in the military. If the rank and file hate the Commander/CEO, it often leads to subpar performance. So, all the shitty decisions that the commander has to do get passed through the XO so that they all hate him and not the commander. AMD went through some pretty hard financial times, they absolutely had to fire people, cut benefits, and generally do mean things. If the rank and file didn't hate the CFO I'd be very surprised.

Of course, this does not necessarily mean that the CFO is innocent or competent. Just that no matter how good engineers the interviewees were, you couldn't reasonably expect them to say anything else.

Couldn't it be simply that the CFO wants to be a CEO, and he won't get to be that at AMD anytime soon? Not that I'd take corporate PR at face value, but that was mentioned as his reason for leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back