Tests on PSP battery

PS. Considering how a PSP is supposed to be (and looks like) a descent mp3 player you have to count on it being used that way. Most of the time actually. Think about it for a moment.

I highly doubt this .

You have the psp which is what 200$ usd when it comes out , then u have 512 meg sony card http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-191-221&depa=7 for 89$

YOu can get a 512 meg flash player for around 65$ now or u can get an ipod mini or creative labs thingy for 250$ that are both 4 gigs or a 20 gig ipod for 300$ .

It will make for a very expensive mp3 player and if someone is planing on using a device for mp3s most of the time which is another way of saying the majority of the time , they would buy a dedicated mp3 player for that .

This is a gaming machine , it is going to be used first and formost as that .

Shifty Geezer said:
DS's battery = 850 mAh. PSP's battery = 1800 mAh. If DS uses half as much power as PSP, with a battery with half as much energy it'll last just as long.

Oh i see.
But i do expect the DS to be sucking a bit less power than just half that of PSP.
Remember that for all devices, most of the power is sucked by the disc spinning.
But yeah i still have to see an in-depth review of DS power consumpion levels and battery durability.

jvd said:
PS. Considering how a PSP is supposed to be (and looks like) a descent mp3 player you have to count on it being used that way. Most of the time actually. Think about it for a moment.

I highly doubt this .

You have the psp which is what 200$ usd when it comes out , then u have 512 meg sony card http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-191-221&depa=7 for 89$

YOu can get a 512 meg flash player for around 65$ now or u can get an ipod mini or creative labs thingy for 250$ that are both 4 gigs or a 20 gig ipod for 300$ .

It will make for a very expensive mp3 player and if someone is planing on using a device for mp3s most of the time which is another way of saying the majority of the time , they would buy a dedicated mp3 player for that .

This is a gaming machine , it is going to be used first and formost as that .

That's not the way i look at it.
The way i look at it is that people will obviously buy the PSP for the games, but in the end they will end up using the MP3 playback a whole lot. We can't say how much of their time would be spent listening to MP3s, cause everyone's different, but look at it this way, my new phone has MP3 playback, and i've spent a lot more time listening to that than using it for calls or texts, which is its primary function.
MP3 playback is a very useful thing to have these days, even if people don't buy PSP for MP3 playback, which they won't, the feature will be used a whole lot cause people love music, and it's easier to have just the PSP in their bags or pockets than the PSP and an iPod...

But yeah i still have to see an in-depth review of DS power consumpion levels and battery durability.

Can't tell u about the durability as its only 3 weeks old .

But running mario 64 with my friends all playing on wifi we got 8 hours , we had to switch off gameboys haha . And yes we had a good 8 hour block of time to play , got my sister and her friends in ithaca which is 4 hours from here and then went to canda which is another 4 hours from there (See the falls )

The best i've seen it do is my not charging it for a few days with about 12 hours of play on it. But i charged it before it started to die .

london-boy said:
Oh i see.
But i do expect the DS to be sucking a bit less power than just half that of PSP.
Remember that for all devices, most of the power is sucked by the disc spinning.
IGN's report suggests the UMD isn't as bad as first feared. Their UMD test drained the battery in 5 hours, and that's with the screen at full brightness. I think the DS's two screens would be pretty draining, and isn't the WiFi always on?

Shifty Geezer said:
IGN's report suggests the UMD isn't as bad as first feared. Their UMD test drained the battery in 5 hours, and that's with the screen at full brightness. I think the DS's two screens would be pretty draining, and isn't the WiFi always on?

Screen size = power consumption; DS screens area is almost as big as PSP; WiFi can be turned off as well, as far as I know.

Kalin said:
Feeding the trolls, aren't we ;) (kidding, thanks for the link, very informative)

:D (New smiley!!)

Nah, troll food is way too expensive for me, especially at xmas time when i have to spend money for... me...

SedentaryJourney said:
So the big question for anyone who isn't an early adopter is: will battery life improve, and how long will it take?
When they'll switch to 65nm process, and if they keep the same batteries, battery life will improve.
Also the new revisions would also contains less, and we can expect, improved, parts, which would also help reducing the power comsuption.
One would also suggest that by that time, 2200mAh batteries would be available by then, official batteries from Sony or at least third party batteries.

DS green light is blinking when you are in WiFi mode. So it's not "on all the time"..only when you are engaged in a wireless multi game with others. We've gotten over 8 hrs when playing with wifi RR and SM64DS. Don't believe PSP is gonna get nowhere near that. But as I said earlier..it's a trade off with between the systems. I do however think that it'd be a logical solution for Sony to include a car charger with each system. They could easily eat the cost.

it's easier to have just the PSP in their bags or pockets than the PSP and an iPod...

And it's a lot easier just to have the iPod when you're specifically going to listen to music than an iPod and a PSP. Like say to go work out.

MP3 is a bonus thing. You're going to get a Memory Stick Duo so if you get a big enough capacity one, you can put some music on it (but if you own an iPod, a lot of your music may be in AAC format or even protected by Fairplay DRM).

I think I tried playing a CD on my consoles maybe once and never again. The capability is there but you just don't use it. It might have swayed your purchasing decision as you marked it off in the checklist but once you got it, you never really used it.

wco81 said:
it's easier to have just the PSP in their bags or pockets than the PSP and an iPod...

And it's a lot easier just to have the iPod when you're specifically going to listen to music than an iPod and a PSP. Like say to go work out.

MP3 is a bonus thing. You're going to get a Memory Stick Duo so if you get a big enough capacity one, you can put some music on it (but if you own an iPod, a lot of your music may be in AAC format or even protected by Fairplay DRM).

I think I tried playing a CD on my consoles maybe once and never again. The capability is there but you just don't use it. It might have swayed your purchasing decision as you marked it off in the checklist but once you got it, you never really used it.

That's why my point is sligthly different.

I said, people will not buy PSP for music playback. But "since it's there", it's a nice useful feature people will surely use when their thumbs are tired, when on a plane u get a stiff neck from playing games on the PSP and need a break. Also while walking around, it's nice to have some music on, and if people know they're gonna play a bit later on in the day and put their PSP in their pocket (big pocket), they'll turn some Britney on from the station to the office, without the need for a second device like a proper MP3 player......
See what i mean?

If someone ever got a combo device (phone/PDA/MP3/game player/camera) in the perfect form factor with good performance in most of these functions, they could make bank.

Probably impossible.

Then again, I think there are gadgetphiles who love collecting many feature-specific devices as possible. And constantly trading them up.

Surprised nobody has come out with a Batman utility belt for all this stuff. Levis used to have this Dockers commercial for pants which had deep pockets which could hold all this gear without the stuff bulging out.

Its the DS using WIFI in the cuarrent games or is it using Nintendo's wireless standar? I think i read reports sugesting no WIFI as of now in games, maybe Picto chat, but im not sure. If thats the case the battery will last less with wifi.

The advantage in procesing power doesnt mean you have to spend it in graphics, things like complex phisycs and massive number of objects or units are things that the PSP provides for a handheld gaming, things that suits well genres like MMORPGs for example.

Cuarrently companies havent achieve what can be done creativly with this round of consoles and we are still using (in the mayority of cases) the same control and interface methods introduced in the previous generation.

I never thought I'd be hastily drawing trampolines for a bunch of Mario's to jump to safety. Never thought I'd actually be 'blowing' a sail boat around in a game. Nor 'blowing' out candles too. Never thought I'd be pictochatting for 3 hrs going down the interstate with my nephews in the car behind me while traveling to my aunt's house. We also had a 4 player game of Metroid First Hunt going with ppl in 3 different cars for about 30 min more. [/b]

Of that list you got there, the part in bold is the only one i think it cant be reproduced with PSP. And so far i dont think is an important step ahead. And i suggested in the post that theres probably a place for DS.

Now compare the projects for both handhelds, i think PSP has more concrete ones, as for DS theres alot of anounced stuff that can make the shift to PSP, since the projects are not unvieled enough.

Its the DS using WIFI in the cuarrent games or is it using Nintendo's wireless standar? I think i read reports sugesting no WIFI as of now in games, maybe Picto chat, but im not sure. If thats the case the battery will last less with wifi.
um it is using the wifi . How else would it work. It needs to use its wireless lan to hook up to other nds

said, people will not buy PSP for music playback. But "since it's there", it's a nice useful feature people will surely use when their thumbs are tired, when on a plane u get a stiff neck from playing games on the PSP and need a break. Also while walking around, it's nice to have some music on, and if people know they're gonna play a bit later on in the day and put their PSP in their pocket (big pocket), they'll turn some Britney on from the station to the office, without the need for a second device like a proper MP3 player......
See what i mean?
Where are u going to put the damn thing ?

ITs extremely bulky and has a huge screen waiting to get scratched up.

Not only that but since its there and most of the time are not the same things .

Sure i can see if your on a plane you would listen. But then again that is at most only a few hours . IF your going to london from jersey that 12 hour flight is just to much for a psp . It will last longer than u can listen to music and more than twice as long as you can play games. not to mention needed special power adapters if u want to use it on the flight back.

Now by bringing an ipod and a ds . I will have 13 hours of music and 12 hours of gaming . Not only that but any pc with a usb or fire wire port will charge my pod .

This is exactly what i'm doing in febuary when i vist my sister and that psp (That i know my sister got me ) under the tree wont be making the trip with me . Because its not good for more than short trips .

Its like the psp equals one of those 4 grand dell laptops with the 9800 chip and a p4 ee chip that when playing games gets an hour of batterys . Great for playing games on short trips . But for anything more than a short trip a normal lap top that gets better battery life is the way to go

um it is using the wifi . How else would it work. It needs to use its wireless lan to hook up to other nds

As is my understanding DS uses two linking protocols. WIFI, the other, Nintendos own wich is less energy demanding. I think its similar to the one motorola developed for them, the one used in Pokemon Leafs games.

London to Jersey is a 13 hr flight? My Hawaii to London (Gatwick) was only 15. What the hell kind of flight are you on? And imo, the DS is nearly as bulky as the PSP. Mind you, if you just mean the PSP is bulky compared to the average mp3 player, then yep, no question about it there!

london-boy said:
Shifty Geezer said:
DS's battery = 850 mAh. PSP's battery = 1800 mAh. If DS uses half as much power as PSP, with a battery with half as much energy it'll last just as long.

Oh i see.

I believe DS's battery life is running about 7-11 hours. You might find a situation where the battery life can drop to 5 hours though, just as you can find situations where the psp's battery can drop below 1 hour. BTW, I think a 3rd party 1800mah battery should be made for the DS or nintendo should make future models have 1 standard, then it could really rub battery life in the psp's face.

BTW, how much bigger is the DS than the original GBA? I find the gba a fine size to fit in my pocket, just it has no light and lacks a screen protector, and putting either of those on the system would increase it to uncomfortable size.

Ty said:
London to Jersey is a 13 hr flight? My Hawaii to London (Gatwick) was only 15. What the hell kind of flight are you on? And imo, the DS is nearly as bulky as the PSP. Mind you, if you just mean the PSP is bulky compared to the average mp3 player, then yep, no question about it there!
No direct flight (at least mine isn't ) i don't have the tickets with me but we stop in europe some where first

jvd said:
Ty said:
No direct flight (at least mine isn't ) i don't have the tickets with me but we stop in europe some where first

Btw my hawaii flight last year was 12 hours too but no stoping or switching .

Back