Tests on PSP battery

Acert93 said:
Anyone notice you can get a 1GB SD disk for less than $50?
You should probably specifiy whether you're talking about SanDisk or Secure Digital. ;) I assume the latter from your comment, however. Memory Stick definitely has some catching up to do before it's at the price/storage level of Compact Flash or Secure Digital... Though offhand I don't know how performance comparisons between them go. (Especially since anything that high-capacity for MS is a Pro.)

Too bad Duos are so damn small, though... I don't think there will be any conveters to Duo for a long time. :p

You should probably specifiy whether you're talking about SanDisk or Secure Digital. I assume the latter from your comment, however. Memory Stick definitely has some catching up to do before it's at the price/storage level of Compact Flash or Secure Digital...
Actually there is nothing out there that even remotely catches up to Compact Flash, whether you look to max capacity or capacity/$ ratio.
SD prices on the other hand, are roughly in the same range as MemoryStick Pro(non DUO)- it's the DUOs that need to do caching up price wise.

But no use bitching about Sony choosing Duos for PSP now, one can only hope its sales will be good enough to drive DUO prices down too.

Yes you can't fly cross country on a single charge.

But it sounds like it should be sufficient for any other use. Should cover the longest commutes.

But then again, if you have to recharge more frequently, the battery may need to be replaced sooner than later.

Fafalada said:
Actually there is nothing out there that even remotely catches up to Compact Flash, whether you look to max capacity or capacity/$ ratio.
SD prices on the other hand, are roughly in the same range as MemoryStick Pro(non DUO)- it's the DUOs that need to do caching up price wise.
Well, if you look on the likes of NewEgg, 1GB Secure Digital cards are available from a number of parties starting around the $70-75 range, whereas CF starts at around $65-70. 512MB, same thing.

MS Pro in general is about twice as much at each price level. (Regular old non-pro doesn't seem to go that high, or at least if it does it's not available in volume. Non-Pro Duo are similarly unavailable.) On NewEgg Pro and Pro Duo are similarly priced (and on places like Directron and TigerDirect, unavailable. Go to retail stores like BestBuy and CompUSA and the prices get much worse. Sadly pricewatch.com's "memory stick" section is confused by too many other products to track.) at 512MB (around $75), so I think it's not going to end up being so much on "Duo"s end but the "Pro" end. Or just the "MS" end in general, as even non-Pros are not in any real line with Compact Flash or Secure Digital.

Considering the last time I knew (about a year ago) the US marketshare was about 30% SD, 29% CF and 22% MS, I don't see any real reason for the huge divergence, except that Sony knows they have built-in proprietary profiting they can do from their other popular electronics. It would be nice of them to compete in the same fashion SD and CF do in the future, though.

Unless there are other real technical factors that set MS apart from the others. But offhand I can't think of anything major, and most consumers wouldn't notice or care. They just want storage++ for cash-- :p

This battery power argument is just a way for people to boost a technically inferior handheld.

I'm sure some people just use battery life concerns to bash PSP in order to defend DS. Just like others will use arguments on processing power only to bash DS in order to defend PSP. But to many people these are geniune reasons why they chose one system or the other. So to suggest that no'one is actually concerned by PSP's battery life is very naive indeed.

Just to comment on the article itself and its findings. 3.5 hours in Ridge Racer with max sound and brightness and no WiFi. Now that sounds a lot more believable then the 5 hour gameplay stories we were hearing.

Just to comment on article itself and its findings. 3.5 hours in Ridge Racer with max sound and brightness and no WiFi. Now that sounds a lot more believable then the 5 hour gameplay stories we were hearing.
Actually, it lines up pretty well with the official figures they gave, which if you recall were saying ~4 hours for graphically demanding titles, and ~6 hours for the ones less so. Darkstalkers hit 5:09 with the UMD constantly spinning, and although I don't know how much more time they would gain playing Darkstalkers under normal parameters (sans the spinning), it would certainly kick the gametime closer to six hours. Other games like their Mah-jongg and puzzle titles would almost assuredly be there. The word "gameplay" includes a broad range.

Basically, though, the "stories" tend to come from people not paying attention. Or came from sources similar to those proclaiming the device would be lucky to get 2 hours or be able to play a whole movie on the UMD. It's actually been reasonably close to their stated figures, with WiFi being one of the wild cards (that thankfully IGN's crop of tests gives more insight into. Needs more tests, though.) we've been waiting to see in action.

And considering the usual relationship of "high-performance" games to "other stuff that's made" the average game will probably be right around 5 hours. ;) The likes of RR and GT, though... Heh.

Still be good to see more brackets of tests like that so we can specifically evaluate other areas, though: screen brightness levels, audio between speaker and headphones and at various sound levels, MP3 playing with the screen on and off... And, of course, the ever-popular "how well does the batter retain its capacity over time" category. ^_^

There are, however, only so many hours in a day, and only so many PSP's they can use. Hehe... IGN's been pretty good with the testing so far, at least.

Teasy said:
Just to comment on article itself and its findings. 3.5 hours in Ridge Racer with max sound and brightness and no WiFi. Now that sounds a lot more believable then the 5 hour gameplay stories we were hearing.

Max brightness + max speaker volume is already unlikely condition when min brightness is not less brighter than NDS's only setting.

cthellis42

I wasn't talking about Sony's estimated battery life numbers. I was talking about stories coming from some early adopters claiming that RR lasted 5 hours with max sound and brightness.

The problem i see is not the comparisons, that comparisons exist is just natural, what i dont understand is how you can compare this system to a DS. Not even on the same league.

I think the performance, specs/battery life on the PSP is superior (relativly) to the performance, specs/battery life of the DS.

Also in gfx intensive game like RR they are close to 5 hours by playing with the settings, damn good. And its easy to switch batteries if you want to keep going.

Just thinking that you can have a FPS that holds very well to todays standars on PSP, imagine setting Lan parties withouth having to move alot of equipment or worring about space or electric bills. Hell even if you play plugged to the wall is just great.

Theres probably a space for the DS, is just that it hasnt produced a significan shift in gaming and it fails to match the handheld expirience the PSP provides.

For the memory cards i got one for my sony camera , it was 512mbs for 35 on black friday , normaly 70$ But it wasn't sony brand , it was a knock off

Refreshment said:
Also in gfx intensive game like RR they are close to 5 hours by playing with the settings, damn good. And its easy to switch batteries if you want to keep going.

5 hours damn good? Tell that to a child that wants to take it to his friend's home and can't because it's charging. Sure they made you think this was good, but considering that the original GB lasted 36 hours WITH BATTERIES, 5 hours it's like
vomitos.gif

If you can't make a system last long with the battery, then DON'T RELEASE IT UNTIL YOU CAN. We are judging these systems from a power user standpoint, but for a 10 years old child, this is plain unacceptable. It's not that 5 hours of gameplay is not very much, but if you play 2 hours in the morning and want to take it with you in the evening, you have to charge it or take another battery with you, and tell that to a 10-12 years old boy (they are who are gonna buy the portable systems in great quantities)

Apoc said:
Refreshment said:

5 hours damn good? Tell that to a child that wants to take it to his friend's home and can't because it's charging. Sure they made you think this was good, but considering that the original GB lasted 36 hours WITH BATTERIES, 5 hours it's like
vomitos.gif

Dear god..... :|

Apoc said:
5 hours damn good? Tell that to a child that wants to take it to his friend's home and can't because it's charging.

Sony, destroying the childrens dreams!

Seriously, how many times a day do you think some toys runs out of battery?

Use a good example, like those 6 billion people that travel 10 hours every day and just can't live with a PSP for the same reason. Or is that a made up problem?

Bitching about battery problems has gone from somewhat valid (the rumoured 2 hour max) to pointless with up to 5 hours usage.

The point is, Albert, if the kids are so needy of longer battery life instead of a sophisticated machine they actually have to think about not breaking unless they want to die by the hands of their parents who just spent the best part of 300 quid for one, they won't freaking buy the thing!!

Just like you, if 5 Hrs is just not enough, go get a DS and enjoy your 7-8 hours with it, if you think the difference is like night and day.

Apoc said:
Less than the psp will.

You don't get it, when those toys run out it's a dead toy. Then it's up to the parents to buy new batteries. But omg imagine having to recharge every 5 hours!

-tkf- said:
Apoc said:
Less than the psp will.

You don't get it, when those toys run out it's a dead toy. Then it's up to the parents to buy new batteries. But omg imagine having to recharge every 5 hours!

For you is nothing, but for a kid is a pain in the ass, as I have checked (my brother and his friends).

Apoc,
You're just acting like a trolly bitch the way you're going on about battery life right now.

There's two options open for you:

* Buy the extra battery pack if you fly cross-country every day, or maybe bring a book or something instead, WTF is wrong with you?

* Don't buy the damn thing if you hate it so much.

...But whatever you do, just shut up already, ALRIGHT?

Teasy said:
I wasn't talking about Sony's estimated battery life numbers. I was talking about stories coming from some early adopters claiming that RR lasted 5 hours with max sound and brightness.
Hm. Unless you're talking about a few random MB posts, I haven't actually seen stuff like that bandied about. This is the internet, after all... Name something you think you should be able to see, and it shows you way too much more. Usually with donkeys. ;)
For you is nothing, but for a kid is a pain in the ass, as I have checked (my brother and his friends).
Frankly, if the kid is getting a DS or PSP from their parents, it's not really a pain in the ass in the slightest. ;) The gifting and random purchase levels have sure gone up some my day.

Use a good example, like those 6 billion people that travel 10 hours every day and just can't live with a PSP for the same reason. Or is that a made up problem?

-tkf-
My examples (one was people who travel) were not made up, but actual examples from people I know who use these types of devices. Just because you do not use it this way does not mean it is invalid.

Guden Oden
I agree that some of the discussion has been over the top, but a lot of the pro-Sony camp has also been overly sensative to this issue. This is a PSP battery thread, and since it is a portable gaming device it is a valid topic to discuss. Hopefully you do not believe any discussion of this topic is invalid.

Back